A Liberal's Attempt to Understand the Conservative Mind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Coloradomtnman, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    So, I've noticed that a lot of the arguments between the two ends of the political spectrum are based purely in misunderstandings. I've started this thread to attempt to understand what it is to be a conservative, what it stands for, what it means, etc. I was also inspired to do this because I saw a show on PBS yesterday that got me thinking about Federal spending and waste and just how wasteful governmental spending is.

If you're a conservative and would like to help enlighten this kool-aid drinking, marxist, terrorist-loving, Christian-bashing, spend-happy liberal please answer or comment on the following questions and statements. Now, what I'm looking for here isn't your particular political ideology or philosophy, but the conservative one. So answer for either what the majority of conservative believe or think, or, if it isn't that simple, give me an idea of how conservatives view that particular topic. I'm going to write either a comment that I think is the case and you correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate, or I'll just ask a question if I'm really unsure as to what conservatives think about that particular topic.

I'm ignorant of many conservative ideas, but I think I know enough to separate social conservatism and fiscal conservatism.

When answering you may want to copy and paste starting from below here, just for clarity:

I'll start with...

Social conservatism:

Do social conservatives think abortion shouldn't be legal, or is it that they think Roe v. Wade should be overturned and states should determine whether to allow abortions or not? Should those states have a referendum to determine the legality of abortions?

Social conservatives think same-sex marriage shouldn't be legal.

Many social conservatives think that homosexuality should be illegal.

Social conservatives want to allow prayer in public schools.

Social conservatives want to allow the teaching of creationism in public schools.

Many social conservatives don't want evolution taught in public schools.

Social conservatives want to keep marijuana illegal.

Social conservatives want stricter sentences for crimes than we have now.

Social conservatives want to deport all illegal immigrants and have stricter illegal immigration laws, stricter legal immigration laws, and more protection of US borders.

Social conservatives want all US citizens to speak the English as the official US language.

Social conservatives think that the government should be better aligned with Christian ideals.

Social conservatives think that US culture should be better aligned with Christian ideals.

Social conservatives tend to think that state universities and colleges are staffed mostly with liberal professors and administration.

Social conservatives think that police are generally good people with a tough job and that excuses the rare occurrences when police may behave overly brutal or when they seem abusive of their authority.

Social conservatives think that democracy is the best system of government for all peoples and all cultures around the world; and if democracy was world-wide there would be fewer wars.

Social conservatives think the war in Iraq is justified.

Social conservatives think the war in Afghanistan is justified.

Social conservatives think that there should be more faith-based initiatives.

Social conservatives think that the Constitution is not a living document.

Social conservatives think that racism is a thing of the past and no longer a salient issue in modern politics.

I'll address Fiscal Conservatism in the next post in this thread.

2. REVxERIK

REVxERIK CLASSIC LIBERAL

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    lol you worked hard on this it seems.:clap2:

3. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Fiscal Conservatism:

Fiscal conservatives think that the federal government and state governments generally overstep their bounds fiscally.

Fiscal conservatives think that income tax isn't supported by the Constitution.

Fiscal conservatives believe in a flat tax.

Fiscal conservative believe capitalism is generally the best economic system for all peoples and cultures.

Fiscal conservatives think there is too much governmental meddling in business and that capitalism works better when its completely unregulated. The market will regulate itself.

Fiscal conservatives think that large corporations run the American economy with good reason: these are the companies which have succeeded and therefore have a right to do whatever they can to increase the bottom line, as long as it doesn't hurt US citizens.

Fiscal conservatives want to privatize Social Security or do away with it altogether.

Fiscal conservatives want to privatize Medicare/Medicaid or do away with it altogether.

Do Fiscal conservatives not want health care reform in any form?

Fiscal conservatives think there shouldn't be a minimum wage: let the market settle on what the minimum wage should be.

Fiscal conservatives think that the economy should be more of a priority than the environment.

Fiscal conservatives think welfare should be discontinued.

Fiscal conservative think that unemployment insurance should be discontiued.

Do fiscal conservatives think all social program spending should be discontinued on the Federal level and that states should handle it i.e. food stamps, welfare, unemployment insurance, etc., or do fiscal conservatives think that all social programs should be discontinued and let non-profits handle those programs with charitable donations?

Fiscal conservatives want to get rid of Affirmative Action because institutional racism and sexism are things of the past and no longer issues in American business.

Fiscal conservatives think we should stop our dependence on foreign oil by drilling here instead.

I know there are more than these issues for social and fiscal consertives, but in the interest of brevity.... If there some issues which I missed that you think are important to conservatives, please feel free to mention them as you are educating this card carrying commie pinko liberal.

By the way, this isn't a bait thread but an honest attempt to understand the conservative point of view.

Thanks!

4. REVxERIK

REVxERIK CLASSIC LIBERAL

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    even non bait threads will attract some very colorful posts on this board.

5. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    What, no conservatives want to talk about this? You guys can't talk about your political ideologies with a liberal?

You bunch of elitists!

6. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    C-man, IMHO this is too much for one thread.

7. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Well, I guess I can see that. But I didn't know how else to do it. Start fifty threads - one thread for each point?

8. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    There you go with the name calling thing that is so much a part of the "lefty liberal mentality. I'm in the waiting room of my family practice doctor waiting while my wife gets her annual physical exam. I'm on the public computer in his waiting room. If I have the time tonight when I get home I would like to address this post. This is a pretty good post coming from you. It deserves some honest attention. I don't have a lot of time now to explain my stand on the issues you listed but maybe so tonight. I'm a conservative - used to be a Republican but have of late turned towards being an Independent because the Republican Party is in the trash right now. I agree with a lot of what you described but certainly not all of it. I'll try to be more specific tonight.

As distasteful as it might sound to you, I strongly recommend you reading Glenn Beck's book, "Common Sense". Politics today is not necessarily geared towards Dems vs Repubs. That is what the Progressives would like for you to believe because it keeps everything in turmoil. Beck explains it all very well and if you read the book it will open your eyes to a lot of things you took for granted before in your life. Well worth the read if you can read it with an open mind. It's less than $9.00 at Walmart.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    Unfortunately over-simplifying conservative beliefs until they bear little resemblance to the truth isn't calculated to insure decent discussion.
    Why don't we discuss liberal beliefs:
    Liberals believe the US is the source of most unhappiness and injustice in the world.
    Liberals believe that every social problem demands a gov't solution.
    Liberals believe that taxation is a privilege, and you're gonna feel real privileged soon.
    Liberals believe that traditional families are the source of societal ills, not the answer to them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    What was that you said about oversimplification again?

I wrote what I perceived are conservative tenets. I didn't try to oversimplify them, that's just how I perceive them. Which is why I wrote them so someone who knows better can come along and show me what I don't know so that I will know better in the futre.

It isn't a car or a house or health care so it's "ensure" not "insure".

Start another thread if you wish to discuss those perceived ideologies you think liberals believe.

Thanks for contributing to understanding between liberals and conservatives, hack.