Biggest Global Problem

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by gkjpalmer, Sep 29, 2012.

1. gkjpalmer

gkjpalmer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Biggest global and social problems occur when:

The desire for profit exceeds all environmental and moral wisdom.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    The biggest global problem is when a large object crashes into the earth causing an extinction level event.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Interesting. What would you consider examples of this?

4. gkjpalmer

gkjpalmer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In some respects, Oil.
    Please dont go haywire Mr H...hear me out.

Our primary source of energy as beings is food. In the beginning, we hunted and gathered for food(Energy), so that we could survive to hunt and gather more food.

As we developed, we became aware of other sources of energy which we could apply toward the production of our most direct requirement for food energy.

Yes...it is true that all other forms of energy we became aware of were applied to other non food applications, but every energy source fell upon was most primarily applied to food production.

So is the case with oil as well....

But if that form of energy...which we so germainly depend on for our food supply( Not to mention its other related uses in pesticides, plastics, distribution , processing ect..) also depleets our environment, bankrups our economy, is in short supply, and causes us to potentially go to war over it, what keeps it so entrenched?

Mr H...at the end of the day we are poised to perhaps be unable to stop what we are using to be able to feed ourselves because the profit( and the associated power) losses would be too unbearable for us to part with.

In a shorter version...ill give you a million bucks if you seal this plastic bag around your head for an hour
    or, Ill dump chemicals into the river, polluting my water...so I can profit selling paper...
    Or...Im gonna wack this guy because if I do....i'll profit...( Its all about the bottom line)

Again the key words in my original definition are "when profit EXCEEDS"
    Your thoughts?

5. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Climate change is pretty clearly the most significant issue facing the planet, but it's one I can't bring myself to care about, because the reality is that nothing will be done about.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    I presumed you would focus on oil. That's cool. Nice sober rational post BTW.
    I'll try to be sober and rational too, as I won't start drinking for a few hours yet. :D

Oil production and consumption isn't without its inherent risks. What industrial/mechanised process is? I happen to believe the rewards are very much worth the risks when it comes to hydrocarbons (oil/natural gas/coal). Their presence on this planet, and our harvesting of these energy sources, has propelled humankind to heights otherwise unattainable. Because of hydrocarbons, our expected lifespans have doubled over the last 150 years (about the time commercial oil production first began).

With respect to profits VS environmental accountability, the oil and gas industries far outspend any other when it comes to compliance, safeguards, and pollution prevention.

The "desire for profit" in these industries is focused on a singular goal: to find and produce more oil and natural gas. And that is good for this world. And we should be thankful and appreciative of it.

Men make war. Our desires for things make war. There have been wars for millenia- long before oil/gas/coal were ever discovered.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    A bit of non sequitur here. By "desire for profit" are you referring to individual companies or a general desire to improve/maximize one's standard of living? How would either of these exceed "all environmental and moral wisdom?" I am guessing you are concerned about Global Warming/Climate Change and are advocating Cap And Trade and/or international standards/enforcement of industrial pollution? If so, why not state your case directly?

8. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,021

Still greedy humans using the political power of scared religious humans to maintain a minority control over the planets resources.

But it's getting better.

9. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,456
    The desire to drink milk creates ABSURD profits, strips the world of limited resources all because we are -----

"""unable to stop what we are using to be able to feed ourselves because the profit( and the associated power) losses would be too unbearable for us to part with."""

I think I got this message down.. I'm ready to march with you...

As soon as you compare the cost of a gallon of milk to a gallon of gasoline and tell me who profits more (after taxes) --- and who has the harder job.

10. earthmuffin

earthmuffin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I understand this was likely intended to be tongue in cheek, however...

An extinction level event, while clearly devastating, would still be preferable to the slow death of the planet. If you are measuring in terms of suffering, anyway.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1