Big 12 South Clusterfuck...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Jon, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Tiebreaker Procedures - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Assuming Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech all win next week (Oklahoma is the only one with a real challenge), they will be in a 3 way tie for the Big 12 South.

So, it looks like it will come down to the BCS ranking, which gives the edge to Texas. Unless the thumping Oklahoma's giving Tech boosts them over Texas, which isn't all that unlikely. If Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma St next week, Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship.

And, of course, if one of those three teams wins the Big 12 Championship, they'll be in the national championship against the winner of Alabama/Florida (my guess is Florida). If, somehow, Missouri pulls out an upset win in the Big 12 Championship, USC sneaks into the BCS championship (assuming they win their last two games...which isn't a given).

Let's say Missouri DOES win the Big 12 and USC loses another game, who goes to the BCS championship? Utah? Or would they put the highest ranked Big 12 team left, who didn't even win their own conference, in the championship?

It's gonna get interesting.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    can't say that about this game tonight tho ! :lol:

3. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Actually, it was pretty interesting. I was waiting for a brawl a la Florida International/Miami 2006. OU was looking for a fight at first, until they started dominating and didn't see the need to antagonize the Tech players.

4. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Me and the spouse mouse grew up in OK. So OU football is a long story with us. Now we live in Mudville, oh I mean Lubbock. And there is no joy in mudville.

OU has a grudge mentality when they lose to UT. The rest of the season, their opponents pay for that loss by taking a major ass whipping. The years they beat UT, they tend to take it easy and in some cases...choke.

But, without a playoff system the entire Division I scene is just so much hot air and a popularity contest.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    That's how it is when all the real competition is in one conference. I always thought this same scenario sucked about the NFL as well. They beat each other down and a scrub worms its way to the top.:lol:

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Obama's working to fix it---no worries ! :lol:

7. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Like it's usually been in the SEC? :)

The only bad scenario here is if Mizzou somehow wins the Big 12. Even though they are only at two losses, they are too far down in the BCS to make it to the championship game, even though they would deserve it just as much as LSU did last year (hell, they should have went last year over LSU).

If that happens, it leaves either another Big 12 team or USC at #2. If USC manages to lose either of their last two games, it would assuredly leave another Big 12 team at #2. For instance, if Oklahoma moves to the #2 spot this week, and then loses the Big 12 Championship, it would poise Texas into the #2 spot.

My memory is shot, have they ever let a team play in the National Championship that didn't win their conference? I want to say yes....but it sounds so....wrong.

If they refuse Texas and Texas Tech, next in line is....Utah. As Georgia proved to Hawaii last year, being undefeated in a pisspoor conference does not make one BCS worthy.

I'm actually hoping Oklahoma continues their domination. It would cause the less chaos and would at least pit two of the best teams against each other in the championship, something we haven't seen in years. I don't think anyone's playing better than Oklahoma and Florida right now, even though I'd rather see Texas Tech win. It's tiring watching the same teams year after year, I was excited for an underdog to sneak in.

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Oklahoma played for a national championship a couple or three years ago I think. They went undefeated until the conference title and lost. Then they played the for the natl championship and lost again.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You mean like it was for a rather short period of time in the mid 80's to mid 90s?

Has WHO ever played for a national championship? Texas? They were national champions 2005-2006 season. They have the 3rd winningest record in NCAA football history.

Texas Longhorns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can't be No 1 though. They choke every time. I'd rather them be No 2.

Oklahoma's probably got the better team, even though if they're on the field they're cheating.:evil:

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    BCS has the horns ranked 2nd---shocking really

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008