Bicycle riders over 18 must carry photo ID

Any Biker within 3 blocks of designated bike route not on it should be ticketed.
Do you think bike routes are the only places people go when riding their bikes?
Dont care where ya go but if we build for ya by god you better be on em or get a ticket unless you are off to hit your destination.....traffic control .....its for your own good......and bikers obviously dont understand basic safety
You havent built anything for me. I pay my taxes and until you are powerful enough to change the rules, I will ride where I want to.

Were you the jackass holding the dock steps of my work truck while I went up a hill?

Funny most incidents I see are dumbass' weaving thru traffic and blowing thru traffic control
I see them idiots all the time..... "share the road" ...my ass... especially when there is a fucking sidewalk on both sides of the street what nobody uses...

riding on sidewalks is illegal

So are going the wrong way on a one-way street, running red lights, and running stop signs...it doesn't seem to stop anybody!

So? Advocating for a nanny state? ;)

Any Biker within 3 blocks of designated bike route not on it should be ticketed.
Dont care where ya go but if we build for ya by god you better be on em or get a ticket unless you are off to hit your destination.....traffic control .....its for your own good......and bikers obviously dont understand basic safety
You havent built anything for me. I pay my taxes and until you are powerful enough to change the rules, I will ride where I want to.

Were you the jackass holding the dock steps of my work truck while I went up a hill?
Your trailer doesnt go up a hill. its on cinder blocks.

Your real reason is this:
Lycra_4.jpg

Most bicycle riders who are hit by cars are hit because the driver wasn't paying attention, or speaking on their cell phones.

Me? Whenever I ride, I'm wearing neon day glow colors on my jersey so that I can easily be seen, as well as have a light that flashes the most annoying pattern possible to make sure I'm seen at night as well.

And...............MOST bicycle riders I know always have identification on them, either in the form of ID carried in their wallet, or in the form of a Ride Smart bracelet (sold on the internet and in bike stores), that has all your vital info if something happens.

I know. I've been riding bicycles since around 1988. Currently riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Mavic Cosmic aero rims, and a Campagnolo Chorus group with ergo power shifters, Speedplay pedals and a Selle Italia titanium seat.

bicycle riders in new york seem to have become emboldened by bike lanes and a generally new york attitude toward cars. i've had cyclists bang on the hood of my car for simply overlapping the bike lane because of something obstructing the roadway.

then they take off like babies...

and i say this as a long time cyclist. but cyclists are nasty to pedestrians and drivers.

Most bicycle riders who are hit by cars are hit because the driver wasn't paying attention, or speaking on their cell phones.

Me? Whenever I ride, I'm wearing neon day glow colors on my jersey so that I can easily be seen, as well as have a light that flashes the most annoying pattern possible to make sure I'm seen at night as well.

And...............MOST bicycle riders I know always have identification on them, either in the form of ID carried in their wallet, or in the form of a Ride Smart bracelet (sold on the internet and in bike stores), that has all your vital info if something happens.

I know. I've been riding bicycles since around 1988. Currently riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Mavic Cosmic aero rims, and a Campagnolo Chorus group with ergo power shifters, Speedplay pedals and a Selle Italia titanium seat.

bicycle riders in new york seem to have become emboldened by bike lanes and a generally new york attitude toward cars. i've had cyclists bang on the hood of my car for simply overlapping the bike lane because of something obstructing the roadway.

and i say this as a long time cyclist. but cyclists are nasty to pedestrians and drivers.
There are assholes in every group it seems. Out here in Cali you would get your ass ran over if you did that.

There are assholes in every group it seems. Out here in Cali you would get your ass ran over if you did that.

no doubt. and in cali they ticket people for jaywalking. in new york that makes us laugh.

And yet people think bikers should give the government more money b/c this time they promise to spend it correctly. Not hardly.
Um...it seems fucked up. But, it would discourage a few from biking on the highway. I would set the bicycle tax for $ 500/year + insurance + biking driver license fee = $ 1000/year unless you positively prove you have no vehicle and live farther away from work than 5 miles, then they could ride free on the side walk only.

A $1,000 a year to ride a bike on a street you already paid for with your local, state, and, federal taxes? I'll admit, I am not a fan of this proposal. Besides, many municipalities have made it illegal to ride your bikes on the sidewalk. My hometown did so back when I was a teen.

I think it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk in most towns/cities. Maybe not in very small towns where there aren't a lot of people to begin with. It's been illegal in my city for years and years.

I've never lived in a city, just the suburbs. Making riding a bicycle on the sidewalk illegal in the suburbs is ridiculous. I took a bicycle to work for a couple of jobs and where there was sidewalk, I most assuredly rode there. Riding on the road is just too damned dangerous for me, particularly when you don't have bike lanes or even a shoulder to ride on. I don't trust people in their cars to be safe going around me if I'm in the road, whether riding a bicycle or walking. Since any collision would inevitably be far worse for me, I stayed off the road wherever possible.

I never had a cop stop me or say a word about riding on a sidewalk. I'd have been shocked if I did. Maybe it's different for those who do long distance riding, on expensive bicycles at higher speeds, but on my crappy little mountain bike at maybe 10-15 mph, I doubt any cops would have preferred me on the road to the sidewalk. :p

One needs a photo ID to ride a bike, but not to vote.
Si, in California they issue IDs to anybody...no questions asked. Hmmm. I may just go there to get one of those as a second identity..then disappear who I am now... then reappear again as me... double agent... fuck, I like the idea more and more...

And yet people think bikers should give the government more money b/c this time they promise to spend it correctly. Not hardly.
Um...it seems fucked up. But, it would discourage a few from biking on the highway. I would set the bicycle tax for $ 500/year + insurance + biking driver license fee = $ 1000/year unless you positively prove you have no vehicle and live farther away from work than 5 miles, then they could ride free on the side walk only.

A $1,000 a year to ride a bike on a street you already paid for with your local, state, and, federal taxes? I'll admit, I am not a fan of this proposal. Besides, many municipalities have made it illegal to ride your bikes on the sidewalk. My hometown did so back when I was a teen.

I think it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk in most towns/cities. Maybe not in very small towns where there aren't a lot of people to begin with. It's been illegal in my city for years and years.

I've never lived in a city, just the suburbs. Making riding a bicycle on the sidewalk illegal in the suburbs is ridiculous. I took a bicycle to work for a couple of jobs and where there was sidewalk, I most assuredly rode there. Riding on the road is just too damned dangerous for me, particularly when you don't have bike lanes or even a shoulder to ride on. I don't trust people in their cars to be safe going around me if I'm in the road, whether riding a bicycle or walking. Since any collision would inevitably be far worse for me, I stayed off the road wherever possible.

I never had a cop stop me or say a word about riding on a sidewalk. I'd have been shocked if I did. Maybe it's different for those who do long distance riding, on expensive bicycles at higher speeds, but on my crappy little mountain bike at maybe 10-15 mph, I doubt any cops would have preferred me on the road to the sidewalk. :p

I suppose it depends on whereabouts you live.

One needs a photo ID to ride a bike, but not to vote.

Do you need a photo ID to vote in Australia? That's where the OP article comes from. I don't know if there are places in the US which require an ID to ride a bike.

I've never heard of anywhere in the US requiring ID in order to ride a bike. I will say that it is a good idea to carry ID with you at all times though. ;)

Funny most incidents I see are dumbass' weaving thru traffic and blowing thru traffic control
I see them idiots all the time..... "share the road" ...my ass... especially when there is a fucking sidewalk on both sides of the street what nobody uses...

riding on sidewalks is illegal

So are going the wrong way on a one-way street, running red lights, and running stop signs...it doesn't seem to stop anybody!

So? Advocating for a nanny state? ;)

No, I want either the enforcement off traffic laws, or legalizing running the fuckers over!

Baked again, boy? Knock off the smoking, the ditch weed makes you dumber than usual!

LOL @ Australia.

In America, ask the Officer if having an I.D. is mandatory and what Law states it is?

Baked again, boy? Knock off the smoking, the ditch weed makes you dumber than usual!
Stop smoking cow dung. It obviously makes your hair lice more active.

Forum List

Back