Bicycle riders over 18 must carry photo ID

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
gt.driver5.jpg

New rules are being introduced on our roads to help drivers, bicycle riders and pedestrians Go Together safely. We all need to respect each other's space to ensure that everyone stays safe. On average, 11 bicycle riders are killed and 1500 seriously injured in NSW each year.

Go Together - Campaigns - NSW Centre for Road Safety

Most bicycle riders who are hit by cars are hit because the driver wasn't paying attention, or speaking on their cell phones.

Me? Whenever I ride, I'm wearing neon day glow colors on my jersey so that I can easily be seen, as well as have a light that flashes the most annoying pattern possible to make sure I'm seen at night as well.

And...............MOST bicycle riders I know always have identification on them, either in the form of ID carried in their wallet, or in the form of a Ride Smart bracelet (sold on the internet and in bike stores), that has all your vital info if something happens.

I know. I've been riding bicycles since around 1988. Currently riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Mavic Cosmic aero rims, and a Campagnolo Chorus group with ergo power shifters, Speedplay pedals and a Selle Italia titanium seat.

bike riders who ride on public streets and roadways should have to

be licensed and taxed yearly and have insurance as well

Why? Bicycles don't tear up the road, don't require special skills to ride (unless you're a racer, and that is totally different, and yes, racers have to be licensed with the UCI), and they don't pollute or leak oil.

You sound like you're in support of big government taking more of our money.

Why? Bicycles don't tear up the road, don't require special skills to ride (unless you're a racer, and that is totally different, and yes, racers have to be licensed with the UCI), and they don't pollute or leak oil.

they are on the street pay the price or get off it

Most bicycle riders who are hit by cars are hit because the driver wasn't paying attention, or speaking on their cell phones.

Me? Whenever I ride, I'm wearing neon day glow colors on my jersey so that I can easily be seen, as well as have a light that flashes the most annoying pattern possible to make sure I'm seen at night as well.

And...............MOST bicycle riders I know always have identification on them, either in the form of ID carried in their wallet, or in the form of a Ride Smart bracelet (sold on the internet and in bike stores), that has all your vital info if something happens.

I know. I've been riding bicycles since around 1988. Currently riding a 1997 Lemond Zurich with Mavic Cosmic aero rims, and a Campagnolo Chorus group with ergo power shifters, Speedplay pedals and a Selle Italia titanium seat.
ABS a question.....why do all you bikers out for your daily ride wear clothes like you are riding in the Tour de France?....im just wondering,im not being a smartass....

ABS a question.....why do all you bikers out for your daily ride wear clothes like you are riding in the Tour de France?....im just wondering,im not being a smartass....

Good question, and no, you're not being a smartass for asking it. I've been asked about it many other times before.

The reason is that the clothing that the riders use is specifically designed for long distance riding. The shorts (be they regular or bib type), in addition to compressing your muscles from the lycra, making them more efficient, but they also have a pad sewn into the crotch to make it more comfortable while sitting in the saddle.

The jerseys are usually made in bright colors (lots of them are from the actual teams), and they are either long or short sleeved, with technical fabric that wicks away sweat, and there are 3 pockets sewn into the back bottom of the jersey for storing stuff like powerbars and your wallet, because lycra shorts don't have pockets (usually, but you can buy certain brands that do).

The clicking that you hear from the bike rider walking down the street is because of their shoes. They are generally made out of leather, with carbon fiber soles for stiffness (provides more power transfer to the pedals), and there are cleats mounted into the bottom forward part of the shoe that allows clipless pedals to be used. Again, fixing your feet firmly to the pedals results in better power transfer, because you can not only provide power on the down stroke, but you can also get power on the upstroke by pulling your feet up. A good cyclist has a smooth, very round pace while spinning the pedals.

And then finally, the helmet, because pavement is hard at anything over 10 mph. Some people also wear fingerless gloves with padding in the palms, but it's not required if you have padded handlebar tape.

If you ride in street clothes? You can get things that bunch and creep up your crack because they are loose, your junk won't necessarily stay in place like it does with lycra shorts, and street shoes are decidedly inefficient when it comes to riding.

If you're just riding from point A to point B, and using the bike for transportation, you don't need all the gear, but if you ride more than 5 miles for fitness and health, it is much more comfortable (and faster) if you have the proper gear.

Bottom line, it makes you more efficient. I know this was a long explaination, but, now you know all the reasons.

One of the very first purchases I made back in the late 80's after buying my first bike was the shorts, jersey, shoes and helmet, and those were all bought on the same day as I bought my bike for the reasons mentioned.

Spandex.... do I have to say more?

Good question, and no, you're not being a smartass for asking it. I've been asked about it many other times before.

The reason is that the clothing that the riders use is specifically designed for long distance riding. The shorts (be they regular or bib type), in addition to compressing your muscles from the lycra, making them more efficient, but they also have a pad sewn into the crotch to make it more comfortable while sitting in the saddle.

The jerseys are usually made in bright colors (lots of them are from the actual teams), and they are either long or short sleeved, with technical fabric that wicks away sweat, and there are 3 pockets sewn into the back bottom of the jersey for storing stuff like powerbars and your wallet, because lycra shorts don't have pockets (usually, but you can buy certain brands that do).

The clicking that you hear from the bike rider walking down the street is because of their shoes. They are generally made out of leather, with carbon fiber soles for stiffness (provides more power transfer to the pedals), and there are cleats mounted into the bottom forward part of the shoe that allows clipless pedals to be used. Again, fixing your feet firmly to the pedals results in better power transfer, because you can not only provide power on the down stroke, but you can also get power on the upstroke by pulling your feet up. A good cyclist has a smooth, very round pace while spinning the pedals.

And then finally, the helmet, because pavement is hard at anything over 10 mph. Some people also wear fingerless gloves with padding in the palms, but it's not required if you have padded handlebar tape.

If you ride in street clothes? You can get things that bunch and creep up your crack because they are loose, your junk won't necessarily stay in place like it does with lycra shorts, and street shoes are decidedly inefficient when it comes to riding.

If you're just riding from point A to point B, and using the bike for transportation, you don't need all the gear, but if you ride more than 5 miles for fitness and health, it is much more comfortable (and faster) if you have the proper gear.

Bottom line, it makes you more efficient. I know this was a long explaination, but, now you know all the reasons.

One of the very first purchases I made back in the late 80's after buying my first bike was the shorts, jersey, shoes and helmet, and those were all bought on the same day as I bought my bike for the reasons mentioned.
I wear basketball shorts over the gay looking biker shorts and I wear cross trainer shoes instead of biking shoes.

Spandex.... do I have to say more?

Spandex is actually the safest material to ride with. Why? It holds your junk in place so that you don't get it caught between the bike seat and your thigh.

I know. I had a problem once like that. My foot slipped off the pedal and it caught one of my testicles between the seat and my thigh. It swelled up to the size of a small orange and was a pretty messed up few weeks until it healed up.

Was probably the most embarrassing sick call that I ever went on. Not only did the doc get a laugh out of it, but so did my LPO, the Chief and the LT when I told them that I was put on 3 days bedrest.

They already pay for the street with the taxes they pay.

Because cars are damn expensive and if some idiot scrapes my car they better be able to pay for it

I wear basketball shorts over the gay looking biker shorts and I wear cross trainer shoes instead of biking shoes.

There are some companies out there that make really good mountain bike shorts. They have a spandex inner short, with baggy mountain shorts with pockets on the sides of the legs for the outer short. Me? I don't like them, because like I said, loose clothing can bunch up and be a pain. Smooth, "regular" bike shorts don't have that problem.

Are you going to charge the pedestrians walking on the side of the road as well? How much do you think a 5 year old should have to pay for a license? Or, at what age can they start riding?

Your suggestion is crap.

Are you going to charge the pedestrians walking on the side of the road as well? How much do you think a 5 year old should have to pay for a license? Or, at what age can they start riding?

Your suggestion is crap.
Then use the sidewalks and don't hold traffic up on the roads
Now you want to put 5 year olds on the highways too? I would arrest your ass for child neglect and endangerment.

FYI a shwin 18 speed bike carrys an 18 pack of beer quite nicely between the handle bars and the seat :)

A case is to long and a 12 pack to short.

Edit 10 speed

Forum List

Back