Bezerkly bans natural gas in new homes and businesses.

LOL they do the same stupid shit here but can they tell you why it's out or when it will be back on? Noooooooo.
Therefore I have a whole house stand by generator now.

Actually they do have a website that you can go to to track power outages that posts updates, causes of outages, etc. They give estimates on there as to when power will be restored to certain areas. You just click on your neighborhood. It was pretty handy during the hurricane. They updated it every 4 hours. If nothing else, it was something to do to pass the time to say, "Fuck, I am glad I don't live in THAT neighborhood every time they did an update for a couple places in the area that just got devastated. by trees and water clear cutting their electric infrastructure.

I was without power for 16 days after Ike, ran two gasoline generators 24/7. After that I got a whole home generator that runs on propane, it can also run on natural gas.

I’m thinking of doing the same. Did you hook it to propane or gas?

Propane, but I just bought another house and will move the generator there and it will be on natural gas. It is capable of running on either, but on natural gas the max output is about 10% less.

Yes, but Natural Gas is much less expensive than Propane, so you are still ahead with Natural Gas.

If it is available. In our area for many people it is propane or electric if they live outside the city. We run electric and water, and to a few places close in, sewage, out into the suburbs, but not natural gas.

LOL they do the same stupid shit here but can they tell you why it's out or when it will be back on? Noooooooo.

Actually they do have a website that you can go to to track power outages that posts updates, causes of outages, etc. They give estimates on there as to when power will be restored to certain areas. You just click on your neighborhood. It was pretty handy during the hurricane. They updated it every 4 hours. If nothing else, it was something to do to pass the time to say, "Fuck, I am glad I don't live in THAT neighborhood every time they did an update for a couple places in the area that just got devastated. by trees and water clear cutting their electric infrastructure.

I was without power for 16 days after Ike, ran two gasoline generators 24/7. After that I got a whole home generator that runs on propane, it can also run on natural gas.

Propane, but I just bought another house and will move the generator there and it will be on natural gas. It is capable of running on either, but on natural gas the max output is about 10% less.

Yes, but Natural Gas is much less expensive than Propane, so you are still ahead with Natural Gas.

If anyone buys one, they need to do their homework. Local dealers wanted 14K to install a 22K generator. I bought the generator on Ebay, had a local guy install it, bought a 1000 gal underground propane tank with 800 gal of propane and spent just over 12K.

I have electric and if I lived in earthquake country, I sure as hell would have electric

Cooking with electricity sucks ass. And they made no mention about the dangers of earthquakes.
Wonder how long till they ban charcoal and wood.....if they haven't already.
Electric stoves are a problem for the majority of texassns. California can deal with it.

So Californians are stupid?
Have you ever seen a restaurant that cooks with an electric range?
Of course you haven't,because they are inferior....just like Californians.

1. yes they are

2. yes electric convection ovens are not unheard of in restaurants

3. No argument about the inferiority of Kalifornia
Ever cooked a steak or burger in a convection oven or any oven?

Only when doing a reverse sear.
And then finish over charcoal.

Natural gas is not needed to run a home. The intent is to create more solar power from the roof top. If you had any brains this would be clearly understood.
Its the cleanest form of energy there is....

The sun and the wind are the cleanest form of energy there is. The fact that you’re to fucking stupid to know how to use it, isn’t everybody else’s problem that does.

The sun and the wind are the cleanest form of energy there is. The fact that you’re to fucking stupid to know how to use it, isn’t everybody else’s problem that does.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

WTF!!!
Who the Hell wants to cook on an electric range or oven?
They claim it's for stopping climate change yet natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel available.
I'd be looking to see who profits by going all electric.
Berkeley becomes first U.S. city to ban natural gas in new homes

I have electric and if I lived in earthquake country, I sure as hell would have electric

Well I have and let me tell ya it's hard as hell to cook on electricity when there's no electric power. My power was out for over a friggin week after the Loma Prieta quake. The fridge didn't work so well either. Up in the nearby Santa Cruz mountains it took some months to get their power back on. I had better luck with the electric service in the Philippines, a third world country.

I lost power for 3 days in a hurricane. Move to the east coast. We are much quicker about such things. They will even text me to tell me when my power is restored. Very considerate.

I don't understand, why would you need to be texted to tell you power has been restored? Doesn't the lights, clocks and fridge turning back on tell you power has been restored? Do you need some bureaucrat to tell you what you can see with your own eyes?

WTF!!!
They claim it's for stopping climate change yet natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel available.

Well I have and let me tell ya it's hard as hell to cook on electricity when there's no electric power. My power was out for over a friggin week after the Loma Prieta quake. The fridge didn't work so well either. Up in the nearby Santa Cruz mountains it took some months to get their power back on. I had better luck with the electric service in the Philippines, a third world country.

I lost power for 3 days in a hurricane. Move to the east coast. We are much quicker about such things. They will even text me to tell me when my power is restored. Very considerate.

I don't understand, why would you need to be texted to tell you power has been restored? Doesn't the lights, clocks and fridge turning back on tell you power has been restored? Do you need some bureaucrat to tell you what you can see with your own eyes?

Some people go other places to wait out the power outage, especially people with children. It is something you opt into when you report an outage,

Cooking with electricity sucks ass. And they made no mention about the dangers of earthquakes.
Electric stoves are a problem for the majority of texassns. California can deal with it.

It's a less controllable method of cooking. flames are more easily adjustable and react quicker when cooking.

Not to mention you can still cook if the power goes out
No. the igniters are electric

Never heard of a match?

It's a less controllable method of cooking. flames are more easily adjustable and react quicker when cooking.

I get that sometimes about my natural gas furnace. "Well at least you still have heat if the power goes out" LOL. Nope.

The blowers need electricity

But hey you can always turn on the gas oven and open the door for some heat

Of course, that's always a consideration. Sometimes retrofit just isn't practical.

If my landlord had installed a line to the laundry alcove, I'd have bought a gas clothes dryer. Dryers are the single biggest consumers of electrical power.

I have a dryer and a clothesline I use weather and will permitting. This time of year, the line will dry about as fast as the dryer. Just about everyone in my subdivision I know has complained at some point about the location of their hot water heater. The developer stuck them all behind doors in small rooms/closets on the opposite ends of the houses from where most of the water gets consumed. I was going to do on-demand, but the guy who sells them said that wouldn't fix the location problem so I would need some expensive replumbing for that
Bad house design, but not much you can do about it. I'd use a clothesline, but I don't have one, and I couldn't in the spring. Everything would wind up yellow.
There are areas, mostly in Yuppivilles that don't allow clothes lines unless they're the retractable kind with restrictions on how long clothes can be hanging outside. Many homeowner associations in large suburban areas back east have banned clothes lines altogether. At least that was the case when I lived in Northern Virginia.
HOAs are the devil.
The last HOA we we stuck with was when we owned in Reston VA, one of the first planned communities in the nation. If we had known just how anal they were we would have never bought there. Everything had to fit the original plan/designs, HOA approval was needed even if you wanted to sneeze in your yard........... Not really but you get my gist.
I do, and you're only slightly exaggerating.

I get that sometimes about my natural gas furnace. "Well at least you still have heat if the power goes out" LOL. Nope.

I have a fire pit because I heart releasing me some CO2 in the cooler months

WTF!!!

And heat your kitchen if the power's out. I've done that before.

I have a fire pit because I heart releasing me some CO2 in the cooler months

Wood is carbon neutral so burn all you want

And heat your kitchen if the power's out. I've done that before.
\me too more than once

It is true that you need to be more attentive when cooking with electric stoves but for me they are very predictable so Ii have no problem with them. I know that for the average country bumpkin fire is the way and electric is just too hard for them.

What a smarmy elitist shit you are.

Once again the issue becomes "I have no issue with it, lets force EVERYONE TO BE LIKE MEEEEEEEEEE"
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

In general, the people who want to control others are insanely incompetent running their own lives.

kitchen matches.jpg

Natural gas is less energy-dense than liquid fuels -- but you won't run out of it.

Forum List

Back