Zone1 Best Version of the Bible and Why?

What happens if I discover meanings that no one else, be they scholar or layman, has ever discovered?
Share them if God says to. Christ taught doctrines that he said to his Apostles not to share them with the world. However, God will only give you what you need to know. And, if there is something new the world needs to know, he won’t be calling on you. He will do so through his current chosen Prophet. Currently, the Prophet is Russel M Nelson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Pray about that.

Looking for opinions back by a fax and argument.

In researching this, I realize I had assumed for no good reason that most post king James versions were basically translations of the King James version. Then I saw a recommendation for a modern version that is taking more directly from the original group text. But that was just a brief search.

I always prefer to hear from experts. That’s why I come here to ask.
The original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts.

Share them if God says to. Christ taught doctrines that he said to his Apostles not to share them with the world. However, God will only give you what you need to know. And, if there is something new the world needs to know, he won’t be calling on you. He will do so through his current chosen Prophet. Currently, the Prophet is Russel M Nelson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Pray about that.
I've shared several of my revelations here already. However, I doubt if anyone takes them seriously. It's only important when looking at God's grand plan.

I've shared several of my revelations here already. However, I doubt if anyone takes them seriously. It's only important when looking at God's grand plan.
Those things are then for you. You aren’t the Prophet. However, it’s okay to share them. Just as Prophets warn, they have in the past been stoned to death. In Joseph Smith’s case, shot to death.

Those things are then for you. You aren’t the Prophet. However, it’s okay to share them. Just as Prophets warn, they have in the past been stoned to death. In Joseph Smith’s case, shot to death.
If my revelations weren't there for all to see already (curiosity and study required) then I would feel 'special'. As it is most don't know the front of the Bible from the back, so it's no big deal.

Looking for opinions back by a fax and argument.

In researching this, I realize I had assumed for no good reason that most post king James versions were basically translations of the King James version. Then I saw a recommendation for a modern version that is taking more directly from the original group text. But that was just a brief search.

I always prefer to hear from experts. That’s why I come here to ask.

(before I start, I didn't know whether to give you a winner reaction or a laugh...the last comment is perfect hahaha. But I love talking about the Bible so I went with that instead of humor)

At any rate:

My top is the English Standard Version. It's readable without seeming to "modern" or colloquial. It comes at the Bible with a Reformed perspective--but not overly so.

Number two is the NIV.

TBH that's all I read. If I HAD to stray from those, I might go with the NASB or the NKJV, but imo I far prefer the above two.

The Message Bible is a trip to me, but I understand its use and support that. I grew up in the church and so am used to "Bible language" (though I didn't become a saved Christian til later). If you as an adult were just trying to get what God is saying, the Message is a good start.

A few years ago, I was in an online discussion with someone that clearly stated that I needed to read the Hebrew version. After a few back and forths, I asked him if he could read Hebrew. At least he was honest enough to say no.

The former youth pastor of our church and his wife read the OT in Hebrew and always had a Greek copy of the NT with them. They both went to seminary. Consider me blown away....

(before I start, I didn't know whether to give you a winner reaction or a laugh...the last comment is perfect hahaha. But I love talking about the Bible so I went with that instead of humor)

At any rate:

My top is the English Standard Version. It's readable without seeming to "modern" or colloquial. It comes at the Bible with a Reformed perspective--but not overly so.

Number two is the NIV.

TBH that's all I read. If I HAD to stray from those, I might go with the NASB or the NKJV, but imo I far prefer the above two.

The Message Bible is a trip to me, but I understand its use and support that. I grew up in the church and so am used to "Bible language" (though I didn't become a saved Christian til later). If you as an adult were just trying to get what God is saying, the Message is a good start.
Saved? What does that mean? Are you unable to sun anymore? Are you able to sun and not worry about anything? Sort of like someone with diplomatic immunity gets away with even murder? We all have to endure to the end before we have actual salvation in the resurrection.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by those terms, but I'll answer going by what I think you mean. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I could have my choice, I would prefer a bible that was a very literal translation of the oldest known biblical texts. But I would want it to be annotated. For example if there was an idiom that makes know sense in English, like the German "Es ist mir Wurst," which literally means "It's a sausage to me," but is an idiom for "I don't care at all," I would like that explained in a footnote.

In that case many pages might be half text and half footnote, but that would be fine because I'd be learning a lot and staying interested.

Maybe there is a bible close to that. Now I wish I had asked a different way. Oy!

An ESV study Bible. Many, many of my pages are half-notes and half text, fwiw

Saved? What does that mean? Are you unable to sun anymore? Are you able to sun and not worry about anything? Sort of like someone with diplomatic immunity gets away with even murder? We all have to endure to the end before we have actual salvation in the resurrection.

You mean "sin"?

Consider:

You are adding to the sufficiency of Christ "all that you can do". That means you have a small savior, a small God. He can only save you after your pitiful human efforts.

The Bible says: Jesus is able to save TO THE UTTERMOST. (Hebrews 7:25). That means those he saves, he saves entire. The "enduring" is of HIS effort (and our cooperation) and not ours.

That is a big God. A holy God. The God I worship.

God no longer needs prophets.

Since Jesus Christ my Savior no prophets are needed--their prophecies are all fulfilled.

You mean "sin"?

Consider:

You are adding to the sufficiency of Christ "all that you can do". That means you have a small savior, a small God. He can only save you after your pitiful human efforts.

The Bible says: Jesus is able to save TO THE UTTERMOST. (Hebrews 7:25). That means those he saves, he saves entire. The "enduring" is of HIS effort (and our cooperation) and not ours.

That is a big God. A holy God. The God I worship.
If so then he also would not have said to the adulterous, go and sin no more. You’ve been duped thinking you are safe and cannot sin. Denying the Holy Ghost is even an option who say they have their calling and election made sure. Your god doesn’t exist.

God no longer needs prophets.

Since Jesus Christ my Savior no prophets are needed--their prophecies are all fulfilled.
And there is your biggest sin. Telling God what he needs and doesn’t need. God decides when prophets are needed. The Bible is not the church nor does it have power and/or authority by itself. It’s just a book. The Bible is simply a blueprint of Christ’s true Church. And your Church has no apostles and prophets in which the Bible says his Church must have as its foundations.

The former youth pastor of our church and his wife read the OT in Hebrew and always had a Greek copy of the NT with them. They both went to seminary. Consider me blown away....
My understanding is that the Bible was first written in Greek. The Hebrew version would be the Torah.

TBD

Thanks to Strong's Concordance with Greek and Hebrew Lexicon, the KJV remains the best study bible version.
Is that the version that has the commandment “Thou shalt not kill.?” Exodus 20:13

A better translation would be Thou shalt not murder

There is a lot of killing in the Bible. For example Jericho after the walls fell down.

Joshua 6:20-23(KJV)

20 So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.

21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

22 But Joshua had said unto the two men that had spied out the country, Go into the harlot's house, and bring out thence the woman, and all that she hath, as ye sware unto her.

23 And the young men that were spies went in, and brought out Rahab, and her father, and her mother, and her brethren, and all that she had; and they brought out all her kindred, and left them without the camp of Israel.
[/i]

In the New King James Version , 20:13 is translated as …

Thou shalt not murder.

If so then he also would not have said to the adulterous, go and sin no more. You’ve been duped thinking you are safe and cannot sin.
Most who say they are 'saved' just mean that they believe they are in a 'state of grace' which if maintained will result in their salvation in the first resurrection.

Is that the version that has the commandment “Thou shalt not kill.?” Exodus 20:13

A better translation would be Thou shalt not murder

There is a lot of killing in the Bible. For example Jericho after the walls fell down.

Joshua 6:20-23(KJV)

20 So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.

21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

22 But Joshua had said unto the two men that had spied out the country, Go into the harlot's house, and bring out thence the woman, and all that she hath, as ye sware unto her.

23 And the young men that were spies went in, and brought out Rahab, and her father, and her mother, and her brethren, and all that she had; and they brought out all her kindred, and left them without the camp of Israel.

In the New King James Version , 20:13 is translated as …

Thou shalt not murder.
That's KJV 101. ;)

Forum List

Back