Best Post Of The Day...

No, only those who want to be included in my @Mention thread. If you want to be added to the list of @mentions just click on the @sign in my siggie and choose which list you want to be on.

Oh, and Spoonman, Mac1958, Sherry, Foxfyre, Jeremiah, Wake, Zander and Kondor would not be happy that you called them liberals.
other than gun rights and the fact that i believe welfare has become an anchor rather than a helping hand, i'm actually pretty liberal.

No, only those who want to be included in my @Mention thread. If you want to be added to the list of @mentions just click on the @sign in my siggie and choose which list you want to be on.

Oh, and Spoonman, Mac1958, Sherry, Foxfyre, Jeremiah, Wake, Zander and Kondor would not be happy that you called them liberals.
other than gun rights and the fact that i believe welfare has become an anchor rather than a helping hand, i'm actually pretty liberal.

My humblest apologies for misclassifying you! :D

What Does This Country Look Like In 20 Years Page 8 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

An interesting thread Mac.
I was going to start a thread about partisanship and how much it has increased in the US but I think I'll just post a synopsis of two articles that I have read that hit the nail on the head.
From;
'Partyism' Now Trumps Racism
If you are a Democrat, would you marry a Republican? Would you be upset if your sister did?
Researchers have long asked such questions about race, and have found that along important dimensions, racial prejudice is decreasing. At the same time, party prejudice in the U.S. has jumped, infecting not only politics but also decisions about dating, marriage and hiring. By some measures, "partyism" now exceeds racial prejudice -- which helps explain the intensity of some midterm election campaigns.
In 1960, 5 percent of Republicans and 4 percent of Democrats said that they would feel “displeased” if their son or daughter married outside their political party. By 2010, those numbers had reached 49 percent and 33 percent. Republicans have been found to like Democrats less than they like people on welfare or gays and lesbians. Democrats dislike Republicans more than they dislike big business.

For more: Partyism Now Trumps Racism - Bloomberg View

And: Partisanship Is the New Racism
Partisanship is the new racism. We love to criticize it, and we love to claim we've transcended it. We recognize it in our enemies but not in ourselves. We use it to discriminate against others. And increasingly, we find sophisticated ways to mask it in a veneer of open-mindedness.
New psychological research and insights from political science suggest parallels between partisanship and racism. Both seem to arise from aspects of social identity that are immutable or slow to change. Both are publicly decried and privately practiced. Both are increasingly employed in ways that allow practitioners to deny that they are doing what they are doing.

For more:
Partisanship Is the New Racism Psychology Today
=========================================================

Now I've been posting on boards like USMB since the late mid-nineties and I have seen the bitter partisanship on on political boards on the rise to the point were it is basically inescapable. I don't know how many times I've tried to have a civil discussion only have have it degenerate to name calling.
But at this point, I really don't see that happening in my life away from political boards.
I have a wide range of friends. When were's sitting around having cocktail or whatever, political discussions do arise. I have very, very rarely seen anyone lose their cool. We have conservatives, liberals and moderates, yet there is no name calling, voices rising, pointing fingers or any other displays of anger. There are just nice and informative discussions that are rich in substance that lead to an exchange of ideas.
I think boards like USMB attract the most die-hard partisan individuals. Most are so
indoctrinated they are incapable carrying an objective conversation. It gets to be a talking-point-of-the-day echo chamber. This all leads to the source of their talking points, who is typically someone getting paid big bucks to get all their followers all riled up, while dividing America.
A small percentage of Americans subscribe to these paid dividers of America. Most get their news from sources who aren't hyper-partisan and this majority usually aren't all riled up in a partisan way.
If we are to see partisan violence evolve, it won't be by any Main Street American, it'll be from a hyper-partisan who's mind has been inundated and sucked in by the hateful hyper-partisan talking head media.

Forum List

Back