• Smokey Robinson

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Elton John

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other (too many to list!)

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

The Velvet Fog

Wrote over 250 songs, many of them jazz standards.
Author
Actor - film and television

It's a Blue World
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head
Day by Day
Bewitched
and to many more to list.

The biggest kudos come from that fact that so many other great artists sang and played his tunes.

I used to live near this guy and loved it when, in summer, he practiced with all the windows open.....

Suffer through the Italian lyrics - he switches to American English about 2/3rds in.....

I like some songs by all those listed, but the 'best' on that list in the poll are Sinatra, Mercury, and Smokey. None on the list are 'the best ever'; that title is going to go to some of the tenors like Pavorotti, Carrera, or Domingo. Groban is very good too, but he kind of sucks at lyrics writing. Of these last four Domingo is probably the top interpretative genius of the lot. But, I personally like Bocelli better; he's 'underpowered' compared to the first three, but his voice is much more pleasant than the others when doing crossover music in Spanish, for instance.

There's no accounting for taste! :biggrin:

Neil Young- After The Gold Rush

Indeed. Truly awful voice when not doing the barbershop quartet thing with his friends Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but yet his After the Gold Rush is one of my favorite albums of all time.

To me, the best male singer is how no longer here is country legend Billy Joe Royal. Ever since his passing earlier this month, I have not been able to stop listening to him and wishing that I had started listening to him sooner. I heard a fair deal of his material when I was a kid, but I guess that you could say that I did not really "come around" until now and I couldn't feel anymore ashamed over how late I am. To me, we couldn't have lost a more precious person. :( :( :(

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly (age 33)

P.S. This is just one of the many clips of him that I can't stop watching.

Has to be Josh Groban this generation, hands down. The version of Oh Holy Night he does, along with Celine Dion's version, are must listening on Christmas Eve. I'm an agnostic but these two people singing this song make me want to believe!

Previous it would have to be a list but Freddy Mercury would be with the top 3 for male vocalists. For previous generations of female vocalists Barbara Streisand is also in the top 3.

The R&R HOF is a bad joke. If Tull's label wanted to to tout them up for nostalgia sales then they would be nominated every year until they got in. You'll find that Atlantic Records, for instance, got plenty of their singers and bands in that aren't even rock roll, like Nat King Cole. They're a ridiculous farce.

Forum List

Back