Best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

The Steel Curtain was the nickname given to the famous defensive line of the American football team Pittsburgh Steelers during their 1970s dynasty years.

This defense was the backbone of the Steelers dynasty that won four Super Bowls (IX, X, XIII, and XIV). Over the years, the nickname evolved into a reference to the entire defensive squad.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over.

In eight of the next nine games, the defense didn't allow a single touchdown, shutting out opponents five times including three consecutive games. During this nine game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns and five field goals. The defense also allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had a 22 points average margin of victory. Eight of the Steelers starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl, and four were eventually selected to the Hall of Fame.

"Mean" Joe Greene
L.C. “Hollywood Bags” Greenwood
Dwight “Mad Dog” White
Ernie “Fats” Holmes
Pittsburgh Steelers: The NFL's Steel Curtain | Bleacher Report

My favorite Bradshaw pic:

Turkey_Spikes_Bradshaw.jpg

That's back when quarterbacks were real players and didn't wear skirts.

The rules dictate what shapes the makeup of "the best defense or offense" in history.

The teams from the 50's, 60's, 70's and onward through the decades can't be compared realistically to the more recent teams.

The rules have evolved and so have the players. Some of the greats such as Buttkiss and Larry Taylor and others couldn't even play today because what they did well can't be done at all in this era.

One thing for certain is that today's athletes are faster, bigger and smarter than those from the past. This is true in all sports.

There will NEVER be another great linebacker that is allowed to get to a QB and smash him in the face with his elbow and intimidate with violence like the greats that have been formentioned on this and other threads.

Someone like Butkus if placed on the Seahawk roster in the SB would have been thrown out of the game by the officials and been a deterant to the Hawks before his ejection from the game. He wasn't fast enough to cover the recievers of the Broncos. He wouldn't have done a measurably better job stopping the Bronco run game. The Hawks kept the Bronco run game to around ten yards in the first half and after that the coaches on both sides of the ball changed thier styles.. Seattle went into more of a prevent and Denver more into the short pass with the exception of their only TD drive.

There would have been no place for a Butcus in the second half for Seattle..he would have been sitting on the bench. At 6' 3" and 243 lbs he is too small to be the morphing roving DE that the Hawks use to crash to the QB and too slow to keep up with the elite recievers a player like Kam Chancellor is forced to run with.

That hit Chancellor laid on D Thomas that set the tone for the SB game Butkus could have never made because for one he wouldn't have been in position to make that play.

I'm not saying that Butkus couldn't have been very disruptive to Manning but it is doubtful to me that he would have been MORE disruptive than Seattle was. The Hawks pretty much had Manning off his comfort zone. With Peytons quick release Dicky Boy wouldn't had enough time to get to the QB and even if he did manage to get to Manning he would have been penalized every time for roughing.
Are you saying Butkus would be treated more like the defensive end for the Lions, in todays game?

The rules dictate what shapes the makeup of "the best defense or offense" in history.

The teams from the 50's, 60's, 70's and onward through the decades can't be compared realistically to the more recent teams.

The rules have evolved and so have the players. Some of the greats such as Buttkiss and Larry Taylor and others couldn't even play today because what they did well can't be done at all in this era.

One thing for certain is that today's athletes are faster, bigger and smarter than those from the past. This is true in all sports.

There will NEVER be another great linebacker that is allowed to get to a QB and smash him in the face with his elbow and intimidate with violence like the greats that have been formentioned on this and other threads.

Someone like Butkus if placed on the Seahawk roster in the SB would have been thrown out of the game by the officials and been a deterant to the Hawks before his ejection from the game. He wasn't fast enough to cover the recievers of the Broncos. He wouldn't have done a measurably better job stopping the Bronco run game. The Hawks kept the Bronco run game to around ten yards in the first half and after that the coaches on both sides of the ball changed thier styles.. Seattle went into more of a prevent and Denver more into the short pass with the exception of their only TD drive.

There would have been no place for a Butcus in the second half for Seattle..he would have been sitting on the bench. At 6' 3" and 243 lbs he is too small to be the morphing roving DE that the Hawks use to crash to the QB and too slow to keep up with the elite recievers a player like Kam Chancellor is forced to run with.

That hit Chancellor laid on D Thomas that set the tone for the SB game Butkus could have never made because for one he wouldn't have been in position to make that play.

I'm not saying that Butkus couldn't have been very disruptive to Manning but it is doubtful to me that he would have been MORE disruptive than Seattle was. The Hawks pretty much had Manning off his comfort zone. With Peytons quick release Dicky Boy wouldn't had enough time to get to the QB and even if he did manage to get to Manning he would have been penalized every time for roughing.
Are you saying Butkus would be treated more like the defensive end for the Lions, in todays game?

I am sorry to admit I haven't followed the Lions as closely as some other teams. I would try to compare the current Seahawk's defense to that of the bears teams of that era but It would be futile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxR9qYSHt8U]Hall of Famer Dick Butkus Highlight Reel - YouTube[/ame]

One of the strangest fact of all is that according to the above video is that Butkus only played on TWO winning teams. I find that very odd.

I wasn't alive for the 85 bears... but...

The 2013 Seahawks nationally embarrassed the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL in front of the largest audience of viewers that has ever existed in any and every kind of sporting event...

So what did the 85 bears do again? :dunno:

Thats why I have to go with the Seahawks defense as well and is has nothing to do with the fact Im a a huge fan of the hawks either.

Believe me after the superbowl I was telling all my friends and co workers the Hawks were the best defense since the 85 Bears and that the bears defense was the only defense better than them but that was until I was listening to talk radio and my local sports radio program here in town.

they mentioned that fact that while taking nothing away from the bears defense,The Bears only had to worry about shutting down a young inexperienced quarterback in Tony Eason and later Steve Grogan when the game got out of hand,where the Hawks shut out the most prolific offense in NFL history in the big game.

Plus as I remember,The Bears defense wasnt able to handle one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, another prolific passer,Dan Marino in a monday night football game where the dolphins preserved being the only undefeated team in NFL history that night against them.

Last edited:
The Steel Curtain was the nickname given to the famous defensive line of the American football team Pittsburgh Steelers during their 1970s dynasty years.

This defense was the backbone of the Steelers dynasty that won four Super Bowls (IX, X, XIII, and XIV). Over the years, the nickname evolved into a reference to the entire defensive squad.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over.

In eight of the next nine games, the defense didn't allow a single touchdown, shutting out opponents five times including three consecutive games. During this nine game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns and five field goals. The defense also allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had a 22 points average margin of victory. Eight of the Steelers starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl, and four were eventually selected to the Hall of Fame.

"Mean" Joe Greene
L.C. “Hollywood Bags” Greenwood
Dwight “Mad Dog” White
Ernie “Fats” Holmes
Pittsburgh Steelers: The NFL's Steel Curtain | Bleacher Report

My favorite Bradshaw pic:

Turkey_Spikes_Bradshaw.jpg

yep those days are over with.I sure miss the good old days.

yep those days are over with.I sure miss the good old days.

Yup! That play is a field full of yellow laundry and possibly a player ejection on Mr. Jones in today's game.

you aint kidding.btw,in very surprised you didnt comment on my previous post before this one.

that picture right there shoots down fools who have come on here and said comments like Bradshaw was overrated.I would like to see them take a hit like that and see if THEY could walk off the field like he did back then.not happening.thats why he won four superbowls and is a hall of famer.He was tough and willing to stand in the pocket and take the big hit for the team.

Thats why I will miss Brett farve.I was never a fan of him or ever liked the packers or anything,but he played the game with passion and had fun and was one of those throwbacks like bradshaw who could take a hit like that and not be fazed.The guy couldnt have been human.I mean he never missed a game because of injury till his very last season missing like just a couple games. thats just simply amazing.Just look at his replacement Rodgers.He has already suffered a broken collarbone.How farve evaded injurys like that his entire career makes me flabbergasted.

Last edited:
Who is the best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

As far as I'm concerned, the Seahawks are No.2.

Nobody was more dominating on defense than the '85 Bears.

i initially thought the same thing however you got to remember The Bears 85 team that they had when they played in the superbowl,look who their quarterback of the patriots was that they faced? Tony Eason who just a couple years afterwards disappeared and was never the same after that beating he took from them.Nothing to take away from that defense but they beat a young inexperienced quarterback and one that was on his last legs in that game where the seahawks shut down one of the best ever and the highest scoring offense in the league,that speaks VOLUMNS!!!!

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

i initially thought the same thing however you got to remember The Bears 85 team that they had when they played in the superbowl,look who their quarterback of the patriots was that they faced? Tony Eason who just a couple years afterwards disappeared and was never the same after that beating he took from them.Nothing to take away from that defense but they beat a young inexperienced quarterback and one that was on his last legs in that game where the seahawks shut down one of the best ever and the highest scoring offense in the league,that speaks VOLUMNS!!!!

I think part of Manning's great year was that the defenses he faced for the most part were in fear of Peyton's weapons. The Broncos lived by the "rub" play last season leaving an open Bronco garanteed fo a couple of seconds. Seattle's strategy was to INVITE that scrawny bitch trying to bump a Seahawk defender off of close coverage.

The other thing that Denver feasted off of was YAC in that most teams played a prevent system to contain the inevitable Bronco completions.

The obvious answer was to put a hurt on every receiver after a reception. Our safeties beat the crap out of every receiver on EVERY reception. Denver had plenty of catches. They paid for all of them. The Result was 36-0 until the last play of the third qtr. Unfortunately for the teams we face this season our "tough guys" in the deep middle of the field will be back for at least three more seasons putting the hurt on all receivers with enough sense of adventure to challenge taking possesions in the middle of the field.

yeah at my workplace,nobody down there would listen to me when I tried to tell them that the donkeys had not a faced a defense anything like the seahawks all year long,that they had shut down far more talented recievers and tight ends in the game much more talented than what the broncos had.that their secondary was much different than any other team out there,that you cant complete a pass to a receiver if he isnt open and it just went through one ear and out the other with them.

they admitted as much later on that they had not seen any of the seehawks games last year and they got to thinking later on after looking at some of their past games that Mannings last 3 or 4 wins of the year were not that impressive in the fact that they only beat some bad teams they were playing like the raiders and texans by just scores of 21-7,they told me they then started having doubts about them winning the superbowl acknowleding bad teams like that,they should have blown out and scored far more touchdowns against them than they did.hee hee. they just didnt get it that the real superbowl was played against the niners. I guarantee you,they will be listening to me this year when i tell them they will repeat.hee hee

you living in seatlle and all you probably didnt encounter any naysayers up there like did i assume? just here on the net right?lol

yeah at my workplace,nobody down there would listen to me when I tried to tell them that the donkeys had not a faced a defense anything like the seahawks all year long,that they had shut down far more talented recievers and tight ends in the game much more talented than what the broncos had.that their secondary was much different than any other team out there,that you cant complete a pass to a receiver if he isnt open and it just went through one ear and out the other with them.

they admitted as much later on that they had not seen any of the seehawks games last year and they got to thinking later on after looking at some of their past games that Mannings last 3 or 4 wins of the year were not that impressive in the fact that they only beat some bad teams they were playing like the raiders and texans by just scores of 21-7,they told me they then started having doubts about them winning the superbowl acknowleding bad teams like that,they should have blown out and scored far more touchdowns against them than they did.hee hee. they just didnt get it that the real superbowl was played against the niners. I guarantee you,they will be listening to me this year when i tell them they will repeat.hee hee

you living in seatlle and all you probably didnt encounter any naysayers up there like did i assume? just here on the net right?lol

We had a few doubters in Wilson's first few games. He was being held back significantly by the play calling given to the offense by the OC. Ever since the Chicago game in Wilson's rookie year the doubters have just kept it to themselves as Russell drove the ship straight into a Championship season last year. He has just performed too well for any serious criticism in these parts.

Granted the Defense has had a LOT to do with Seahawk success. Even so in the Superbowl Russell Wilson threw for two TDs and no interceptions which is a whole lot better than arguably the best QB to ever play the game did on the same stage. Wilson has remarkable composure for an NFL QB going into only his third year. He just won't allow himself to get rattled which is more than one could say about Peyton Manning in February of this year.

Last edited:

We had a few doubters in Wilson's first few games. He was being held back significantly by the play calling given to the offense by the OC. Ever since the Chicago game in Wilson's rookie year the doubters have just kept it to themselves as Russell drove the ship straight into a Championship season last year. He has just performed too well for any serious criticism in these parts.

Granted the Defense has had a LOT to do with Seahawk success. Even so in the Superbowl Russell Wilson threw for two TDs and no interceptions which is a whole lot better than arguably the best QB to ever play the game did on the same stage. Wilson has remarkable composure for an NFL QB going into only his third year. He just won't allow himself to get rattled which is more than one could say about Peyton Manning in February of this year.

oh yeah definetely.as i said over on that other thread of yours,it wouldnt matter if the seahawks defense was as dominant as it was last year,without having a quarterback who came through in the most critical moments in clutch situations like he did in the playoffs,that team goes nowhere past the first round like it did.Had the Seahawks had someone like bradford or Schaub as their quarterback last year,no way do they even make it to the playoffs let alone get to the superbowl.

as great as the seahawks defense was in the playoffs,had Wilson not made the clutch throws he made in critical situations,they never would have adavanced to the playoffs.Like in the saints playoff game they were struggling on offense because of the rain and it was like 3rd and 20 at the time and instead of playing it safe and throw like ten yarder and hope the receiver picks up the remaining 10 yards for a first down,Caroll had enough confidance in him to call for him to throw a a ball deep down the left sideline where Baldwin and only Baldwin could catch it and he ust barely kept his feet in bounds for the completion which later set up a a critical touchdown they needed.

Then he topped himself in the niners game taking a risk throwing the ball into the endzone on fourth and ten to kearse getting what turned out to be a critical winning touchdown for them as well.and not to mention,when he made the bad decision to try and make something happen and try to scramble and complete a pass down the filed when smith got pass their line and he fumbled the ball deep in their endzone.someone like bradford,schaub and even kapernick would have folded at that point and would have lost their composure but he puts all that behind him.

Like you,i was glad that happened to him because we knew he would not make that same mistake in the superbowl.

the objective rational sports people from around the country are saying the seahawks have a much better chance of making it back again than the donkesys because wilson doesnt have to be perfect and go out and play lights out football every game where Manning does and has no room for error.He isnt getting any younger so i dont see that happening with him this year.

Last edited:
I wasn't alive for the 85 bears... but...

The 2013 Seahawks nationally embarrassed the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL in front of the largest audience of viewers that has ever existed in any and every kind of sporting event...

So what did the 85 bears do again? :dunno:
They allowed only 10 points for the entire playoffs.

They shut two teams out.

Here's a taste...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_C0gwIFg0]1985 Chicago Bears 46 Defense - YouTube[/ame]

Ya...If the topic was "What team played the best defense thruout the entire playoffs?" Bears win it hands down.

Thing is IN THE SUPERBOWL Seattle was playing the best offense in the history of the NFL.

That alone sets the game results in the stratosphere just because of the value one has to assign to Denver's ability to score points.

Holding the highest point making machine to 8 in the most important game was astonishing.

It is unlikely that the Bears could have done the same thing as they didn't have the defensive backfield that Seattle does.

In short the game would have been a bad matchup for the Bears. If the Broncos were a balanced offense team that also featured a strong running attack the Bears could have featured the strength of their defense and won handily.

It is more likely that Manning could have picked the Bears good but not great DBs apart as he did all year against every team but the Seahawks.

What one must ask one's self if the Bears DBs could have shut Manning out for three qtrs in a Superbowl?

After it was 36-0 Denver's 8 points were meaningless.

What a Bears advocate must do is find a Superbowl appearance where they shut out any team for the first three qtrs.

Otherwise the tilt MUST go to the Seattle Seahawks for the BEST defense ever in a Superbowl.

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

If the Bears D had just destroyed Tony Eason and the Pats and were average in every other game, I would agree with you
But that Bear Defense killed everyone. They were downright scary. Intimidating as hell. What they did to the Pats, they did to everyone

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

If the Bears D had just destroyed Tony Eason and the Pats and were average in every other game, I would agree with you
But that Bear Defense killed everyone. They were downright scary. Intimidating as hell. What they did to the Pats, they did to everyone

Like Huggy said though the topic of the OP here is best SUPERBOWL defense.as far as regular season goes its hard to say which of the two was the better but were talking best superbowl defense though and thats a no brainer since the Bears did not face a formidable offense in that game.

Like Huggy said though the topic of the OP here is best SUPERBOWL defense.as far as regular season goes its hard to say which of the two was the better but were talking best superbowl defense though and thats a no brainer since the Bears did not face a formidable offense in that game.

Doesn't mean they had a weaker defense than Seattle

If you ask who had the greatest defense on the field at a Superbowl....I go Chicago and then Pittsburgh

If you ask who had the greatest defense on the field at a Superbowl....I go Chicago and then Pittsburgh

OK... then please point to any Super Bowl that Chicago or Pittsburg played in where they held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You don't even have to consider an opponent that just set the all time season scoring and yards mark... cuz they never faced that much offense power in any Super Bowl game.

OK... then please point to any Super Bowl that Chicago or Pittsburg played in where they held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You don't even have to consider an opponent that just set the all time season scoring and yards mark... cuz they never faced that much offense power in any Super Bowl game.

held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You are sounding desperate now

Best defense ever is subjective. I rate Chicago as number 1 because they were just so intimidating. No offense to Seattle, I would probably have them as 3 behind Chicago and Pittsburgh.

If you look at the 1975 Pittsburgh team they held the Minnesota offense to 119 total yards and 0 points. Pretty dominating

Last edited:

Look at the teams the Bears had to face in the playoffs that year.My LA Rams whom I lost interest in pro football for the last 20 years for moving away from LA till Carrol and Wilson joined the seahawks making the game fun again for me for the first time since then.

Their first playoff game they had that year was against the New York Giants.Look who the quarterback was they faced in that game? Phil Simms.Not a bad quarterback but not someone scary either.True he set a superbowl record for completing most his passes the next season but look who that came against? The Donkeys who hardly had a defense,they rode their way to the superbowl that year solely on the play of John Elway.

He was all the Giants had to worry about in that game.The donkeys got there despite the defense not because of it. Simms was a pocket passer with no scrambing ability so they coud sit back and pin their ears back and rush the passér without worrying about trying to contain him which is why they shut out the giants that day.

Then look who they beat in the NFC championship game the nexyt week that year.My LA RAMS.Look who the quarterback was that year for them.The biggest joke of the league,Dieter Brock.The Rams that year were like the bears were the last time they made it to the superbowl.

Like the bears that season,they got as far as they did not because they had a good quarterback but despite him.Getting that far because of a great defense and one of the best running backs ever in Eric Dickerson carrying the load for them that year.

Soon as they got to the NFC championship game against The Bears that year,their true colors were exposed and Brock was shown that he was the biggest joke of a quarterback in the NFL that year finally having to face a Great football team in The Bears.

The Bears only had a running game to worry about in that game because of Dickerson making the Rams one dimensional since they had no passing game that was a threat. because of that the Bears hade a field day that day licking their chops knowing the rams passing game was about as effective as much as a five year old out there throwing the ball. Like Rex Grossman of the bears,Brock disappeared after that being exposed as the joke he was never to be heard from again.

Now lets take a look at the seahawks and the opponents THEY faced in the playoffs before the superbowl last year. First team they face is the saints who have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL currently and has been in many pro bowls over the years and has an excellent chance of making it to the hall of fame.They shut him down for most the entire game.

The next game they played was the niners who were in the superbowl the previous year and had to worry about containing a quarterback who carried them to the superbowl the year before and could not pin their ears back to rush the passer since they had to worry about his scrambling ability as well.

Like Wilson,his legs are a big weapon.His legs and scrambliing ability is the only reason the game was as close as it was. The seahawks beat that team.The Bears that year,in all three of those playoff games,they never had to face a scrambling quarterback who took his team to the superbowl the previous year which makes them getting to the superbowl all the more impressive than what the Bears accomplished that year I would say.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back