Best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

Billo_Really

Litre of the Band
Aug 14, 2005
Long Beach, Ca
Who is the best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

As far as I'm concerned, the Seahawks are No.2.

Nobody was more dominating on defense than the '85 Bears.

I wasn't alive for the 85 bears... but...

The 2013 Seahawks nationally embarrassed the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL in front of the largest audience of viewers that has ever existed in any and every kind of sporting event...

So what did the 85 bears do again? :dunno:

The 2013 Seahawks nationally embarrassed the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL in front of the largest audience of viewers that has ever existed in any and every kind of sporting event...

They allowed only 10 points for the entire playoffs.

They shut two teams out.

Here's a taste...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_C0gwIFg0]1985 Chicago Bears 46 Defense - YouTube[/ame]

They allowed only 10 points for the entire playoffs.

They shut two teams out.

Here's a taste...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_C0gwIFg0]1985 Chicago Bears 46 Defense - YouTube[/ame]

Yea they were awesome. But you have to admit that there's finally a contender after 28 years to take their crown!

And I'm a Redskins fan I freaking HATE the Seahawks!

But you can't ignore what happened this year!

Yea they were awesome. But you have to admit that there's finally a contender after 28 years to take their crown!

That's why I said the Hawks are No.2.

Your a Redskins fan?

Have you ever heard of John Riggins or Sonny Jurgenson?

Goodell will probably make Seattle's defense play with their hand in their pockets next year.

Today's Seahawks are fast as hell and cut down plays before they can develop

The 85 Bears were scary. You thought someone was going to get hurt. Always in the backfield with some nasty hits

The 1986 Giants defense was pretty damn awesome too.
Wasn't that the team that broke Joe Theisman's leg on national TV?

Yep. Their defense was close to the Bears but not quite. I agree with you...the 1985 Bears were the best ever.

Steel Curtain was better....longer too. Two back to back SB's in six years. I'd like to see Seattle match that, but Goodell won't let it happen. Not good for the bottom line.

That's why I said the Hawks are No.2.

Your a Redskins fan?

Have you ever heard of John Riggins or Sonny Jurgenson?

Of course they're probably the 2 most well known former Redskins

Wasn't that the team that broke Joe Theisman's leg on national TV?

Yep. Their defense was close to the Bears but not quite. I agree with you...the 1985 Bears were the best ever.

Steel Curtain was better....longer too. Two back to back SB's in six years. I'd like to see Seattle match that, but Goodell won't let it happen. Not good for the bottom line.

I dissagree. This years Superbowl drew the highest TV rating ever. It was the most watched show in history. It also drew in the most gambling money which cannot be denied has "some" influence. Betting was up about 11 percent..and set a record for total money exchanged. There was a huge chunk of "smart money" that was laid down last minute on a Seahawks win. The betting houses cleaned up.

Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman are two of the most recognised and liked players in the NFL. That fact is supported by jersey sales.

Seattle is the new "darling" NFL team. A repeat matchup in the 2015 SB between Seattle and Denver should set the bar even higher for viewership and betting.

As to the "best Superbowl defense ever". It is hard to say. Did Chicago go up against the "best offense" as Seattle did? It is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Considering the job at hand and the level of predicted competition holding the offense record breaking Broncos to 1 TD and a 2 pt conversion could be viewed as the best defensive acomplishment in any Superbowl ever.

Last edited:
I'd put this Seahawks defense at 3rd, just behind the 2000 Ravens. The 85 Bears are just a step above. The most awesome defense ever. I think they still hold the sack record. The Steelers teams of the 70's were dominant during the regular season, but other than their win over the Vikings, their defenses didn't really dominate during the SB games.

It is hard to compare defenses from different eras

The 85 Bears were built to stop the run and control the line of scrimmage.
The 14 Hawks were built to defend the pass

The 2006 Chicago Bears may be the best defensive team in history. Though, defensively, they did not have of their great games in the 07 SB. Although, they held a prime Manning to a 60.7 QB rating.

But looking at the season as a whole, I don't think I've seen a more dominant defense.

Who is the best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

As far as I'm concerned, the Seahawks are No.2.

Nobody was more dominating on defense than the '85 Bears.

I didn't see any SBs before 1980, so I'd rank them as

1. Bears
2. Ravens
3. Bucs
4. Seahawks

I wouldn't put Dallas in that group. The 1990 49ers had a better defense than any of the 90s Cowboys' defenses.

I also think the Seahawks weren't close to the other three.

Last edited:
The 2006 Chicago Bears may be the best defensive team in history. Though, defensively, they did not have of their great games in the 07 SB. Although, they held a prime Manning to a 60.7 QB rating.

But looking at the season as a whole, I don't think I've seen a more dominant defense.

2006 Bears?

You mean 1986 Bears, right?

Forum List

Back