Bernie Sanders introduces 'Stop BEZOS' bill

I am more concerned about the government spending and trying to be the morality agent then I’m of private business. I have never trusted government and their control and their motives. What if government decide that smaller companies need to follow this same policy? Once government gets a foot in the door all bets are off as the are just as greedy as the private sector. Money equals power for them.
Your concerns are warranted. Like I said in a previous post, the problem may have started with too much welfare and corporations then took advantage of it.
Corporations pay people the going rate, just as they always have. They never did anything to "take advantage" of welfare programs.
So then how have we gotten into this spot where our middle class has disappeared and the rich have gotten richer? CEO pay has gone up like a rocket ship while worker pay has stagnated?

CEO's are rare--at least good ones. They get the pay they do for the same reason an actress gets 10 mil for one film, or a baseball pitcher gets 8 mil for three years.

You and I own widget factories and we are competitors. We both need a CEO, but the best one available at the time wants 3 mil a year. You refuse to pay him that kind of money, but I don't. I hire him and we start taking your customers one by one. Eventually you are either out of business or close to it.

That's why I pay the CEO that kind of money. I can get minimum wage floor sweepers, machine operators for 12 bucks an hour, assemblers for 10 bucks an hour anywhere.
I've already schooled you on this subject many times ray, do you never learn? CEO pay and performance are not linked:
CEO Pay and Performance Often Don’t Match Up

CEO pay has increased dramatically because company boards are loaded with CEOs and they vote each other increases. It's a rigged game.

They get paid on past performance--not future performance. It's like when a famous rock or country band gets a record contract. Their last three recordings were hits and made a lot of money. If the fourth one is a dive, they still get paid the contract amount.

I understand economics far better then you ever will. Believe me.
alf.jpg
Where did you get your degree then?
You aren't claiming you have an economics degree, are you?
You obviously don't have one.
I've read more books about economics than most economics graduates. Furthermore, I've read the right books, not bullshit propaganda.
Then why is it all you seem to do is name call? I didn't take a single economics class on name calling. I didn't think you were schooled in economics. I doubt you can even read.

Your concerns are warranted. Like I said in a previous post, the problem may have started with too much welfare and corporations then took advantage of it.
Corporations pay people the going rate, just as they always have. They never did anything to "take advantage" of welfare programs.
So then how have we gotten into this spot where our middle class has disappeared and the rich have gotten richer? CEO pay has gone up like a rocket ship while worker pay has stagnated?

CEO's are rare--at least good ones. They get the pay they do for the same reason an actress gets 10 mil for one film, or a baseball pitcher gets 8 mil for three years.

You and I own widget factories and we are competitors. We both need a CEO, but the best one available at the time wants 3 mil a year. You refuse to pay him that kind of money, but I don't. I hire him and we start taking your customers one by one. Eventually you are either out of business or close to it.

That's why I pay the CEO that kind of money. I can get minimum wage floor sweepers, machine operators for 12 bucks an hour, assemblers for 10 bucks an hour anywhere.
I've already schooled you on this subject many times ray, do you never learn? CEO pay and performance are not linked:

CEO pay has increased dramatically because company boards are loaded with CEOs and they vote each other increases. It's a rigged game.

They get paid on past performance--not future performance. It's like when a famous rock or country band gets a record contract. Their last three recordings were hits and made a lot of money. If the fourth one is a dive, they still get paid the contract amount.
Failed ceos regularly get new jobs. It's a group that looks after themselves and gives themselves constant raises. Not based on performance as studies have shown. It's a racket.

Why CEOs Make So Much Money

Who can change the pay? Ostensibly the board of directors. But who makes up most boards? Largely still CEOs (and former CEOs). It doesn't do any board member's reputation any good with his peers to try and cut CEO pay. You certainly don't want your objection to "Joe's" pay coming up when its time to set your pay.

Failed ceos regularly get new jobs. It's a group that looks after themselves and gives themselves constant raises. Not based on performance as studies have shown. It's a racket.

Don't you think that if a company can get a good CEO for half the pay, they would?

Most CEO's don't make millions every year; just the prominent ones. And nobody gets a job with a huge company that does pay millions without a long list of success. You have to work your way up to that point--not get out of CEO college and make seven figures a year.

If you think it's so easy, why don't you become a CEO yourself?

Don't you think that if a company can get a good CEO for half the pay, they would?

Most CEO's don't make millions every year; just the prominent ones. And nobody gets a job with a huge company that does pay millions without a long list of success. You have to work your way up to that point--not get out of CEO college and make seven figures a year.

No they wouldn't. Again, the board is full of other ceos who also want raises. They all keep giving themselves raises. You can't really believe the market is determining their pay skyrocket even though performance is often poor.

No they wouldn't. Again, the board is full of other ceos who also want raises. They all keep giving themselves raises. You can't really believe the market is determining their pay skyrocket even though performance is often poor.

The stockholders sure do. If they are unnecessary wasting money and not getting satisfactory returns, investors dump that company's stock and put their money where real growth is taking place. There is no conspiracy of boards and investors all over the United States of America. That's just fantasy land.

The stockholders sure do. If they are unnecessary wasting money and not getting satisfactory returns, investors dump that company's stock and put their money where real growth is taking place. There is no conspiracy of boards and investors all over the United States of America. That's just fantasy land.
You live in fantasy land ray. I've already shown studies that prove there is no link between pay and performance. Look at any corporate board and you will see it's loaded with ceos all wanting raises. You must be a fool to think there is any market force that has increased ceo pay to astronomical levels. It's a rigged game.

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Maybe if the goverment quit taking so much in taxes from the working. To pay for the ones that don't. We won't need to ask the paying, to pay for more. Ever thought of that? But thanks to Trump's booming economy, we have this.
40948950_10156692603797445_7731201356278530048_n.jpg

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

I love how all the Trump sheep are all pissed off about this but are cool with Trump trying to control where companies have their merchandise made.

Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

How so ? Trump is for blue collar union jobs with his tariffs , why are you all of a sudden against that?

I do not like it. The Sanders idea renders large corporations some kind of PATERNALISTIC
ORGANIZATION. It actually confers POWERS
on persons who control large businesses over the
personal lives of the members of the FAMILIES
of their employees. To me it is a weird kind of legal
enslavement------something like SERFDOM
How does it do that? It sounds like a tax on corporations who pay so little that employees collect welfare.
Please tell me, how little do corporations pay?

You live in fantasy land ray. I've already shown studies that prove there is no link between pay and performance. Look at any corporate board and you will see it's loaded with ceos all wanting raises. You must be a fool to think there is any market force that has increased ceo pay to astronomical levels. It's a rigged game.

I think the problem is you watch too many movies and think it's reality. Realty is that the number one concern for a company are investors. The more investors, the better. There is only one way to get investors and keep them.

I do not like it. The Sanders idea renders large corporations some kind of PATERNALISTIC
How does it do that? It sounds like a tax on corporations who pay so little that employees collect welfare.
So little that employees of companies like Amazon and Walmart can still collect welfare.

I think the problem is you watch too many movies and think it's reality. Realty is that the number one concern for a company are investors. The more investors, the better. There is only one way to get investors and keep them.
I own lots and lots of stock Ray. I don't have any influence at those companies at all. The board does everything. And the board is loaded with ceos.

I own lots and lots of stock Ray. I don't have any influence at those companies at all. The board does everything. And the board is loaded with ceos.

If you and thousands of others sell their stock, you bet you have influence over them. So why are you invested in those companies? That's right, because you are getting a satisfactory return on your money because of those CEO's.

If you and thousands of others sell their stock, you bet you have influence over them. So why are you invested in those companies? That's right, because you are getting a satisfactory return on your money because of those CEO's.
Satisfactory because interest rates are so low. Again, studies have shown there is no link between performance and pay.

So little that employees of companies like Amazon and Walmart can still collect welfare.
You work part time you make less. You still didn't tell me how little they pay. Please tell me.

You work part time you make less. You still didn't tell me how little they pay. Please tell me.
It's all linked in the OP.

Well, really the government needs a plan of action. Do you want to promote large corporations or smaller businesses.

The problem with the US govt is no one can ever get a full plan in place. They get a few things which never work properly because they're individual items.

So the status quo stays, more or less, the rich rule the US.

I love how all the Trump sheep are all pissed off about this but are cool with Trump trying to control where companies have their merchandise made.

Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

How so ? Trump is for blue collar union jobs with his tariffs , why are you all of a sudden against that?

I have always been against the tariffs and anti-union, nothing has changed.

Hell in 1986 I led the successful fight to keep a union out of the company I was a welder for. Was against unions then, still against them now.

Forum List

Back