Bernie Sanders introduces 'Stop BEZOS' bill

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

Just wanting to see what the ramifications could be by the passage.
Good questions. One thing I would like to note. Corporations got a huge tax break, have prices gone down? I haven't seen it, they are just pocketing it. Would this tax really increase prices? Makes you wonder since a tax cut sure didn't lower prices.

I am more concerned about the government spending and trying to be the morality agent then I’m of private business. I have never trusted government and their control and their motives. What if government decide that smaller companies need to follow this same policy? Once government gets a foot in the door all bets are off as the are just as greedy as the private sector. Money equals power for them.
Your concerns are warranted. Like I said in a previous post, the problem may have started with too much welfare and corporations then took advantage of it.
Corporations pay people the going rate, just as they always have. They never did anything to "take advantage" of welfare programs.

Sounds like Bernie can't be bought. That is rare in politics.

Yeah, those three multi-million dollar homes make that real clear, comrade.

So, when you Communists decide who to rape, will you base this on the illegal with 15 ninos who gets food stamps? Should Amazon pay based on how many anchor babies a worker squirts out?
The guy has had a pretty good job for a long time and is working deep into his 70s. His homes aren't really that great when you take all that into account.

Hey comrade, doesn't trump claim to be for the worker?

The guy never had a job until his 30's, and even then it was all government jobs.
You don't think senator pay is pretty good? He's in his 70s.

...The IRS knows where you work and how much welfare you collect, yes.
The way money and markets work is that folks buy at a price that makes the trade worthwhile. An employer buys labor at a price that the labor can justify. If the government raises the hourly price beyond how much income the worker can bring into the company, the worker has to get fired.

Are we together on this? Somehow it seems so obvious to me...
You're trying to confuse him with economics.

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

Good questions. One thing I would like to note. Corporations got a huge tax break, have prices gone down? I haven't seen it, they are just pocketing it. Would this tax really increase prices? Makes you wonder since a tax cut sure didn't lower prices.

I am more concerned about the government spending and trying to be the morality agent then I’m of private business. I have never trusted government and their control and their motives. What if government decide that smaller companies need to follow this same policy? Once government gets a foot in the door all bets are off as the are just as greedy as the private sector. Money equals power for them.
Your concerns are warranted. Like I said in a previous post, the problem may have started with too much welfare and corporations then took advantage of it.
Corporations pay people the going rate, just as they always have. They never did anything to "take advantage" of welfare programs.
So then how have we gotten into this spot where our middle class has disappeared and the rich have gotten richer? CEO pay has gone up like a rocket ship while worker pay has stagnated?

So, when you Communists decide who to rape, will you base this on the illegal with 15 ninos who gets food stamps? Should Amazon pay based on how many anchor babies a worker squirts out?
The guy has had a pretty good job for a long time and is working deep into his 70s. His homes aren't really that great when you take all that into account.

The guy never had a job until his 30's, and even then it was all government jobs.

So what? While most of us worked a third of our adult life already, he just started working, and working a part-time job which is what the Congress is. So I'm not too impressed about him working into his 70's.

The way money and markets work is that folks buy at a price that makes the trade worthwhile. An employer buys labor at a price that the labor can justify. If the government raises the hourly price beyond how much income the worker can bring into the company, the worker has to get fired.

I understand economics far better then you ever will. Believe me.

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

2hizp0.jpg

He needs to retire and I don’t consider him exactly honest, for a politician and a government lifer he is okay.

So what? While most of us worked a third of our adult life already, he just started working, and working a part-time job which is what the Congress is. So I'm not too impressed about him working into his 70's.
He's in his 70s making a lot more than you. His wealth isn't really that impressive.

He needs to retire and I don’t consider him exactly honest, for a politician and a government lifer he is okay.
Yes I don't trust jobs where people continue working into such advanced age. How hard can the job really be? But you have to admit if you have a well paying job and work deep into your 70s you will have a lot of money.

Yes and normally when unemployment is really low, wages increase. Wages are stagnant. Why is that?

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

I love how all the Trump sheep are all pissed off about this but are cool with Trump trying to control where companies have their merchandise made.

Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

...corporations taking advantage of workers which lead to a welfare increase? Did welfare increase and corporations found a way to take advantage? Either way is bad...
Let's get clear on this. Sounds like we're saying that folks owning big corporations are hurting their employees if the workers are also getting welfare.

imho it would be bad if the owners started a policy where they fired anyone getting welfare because it would not only would be bad for former employees who'd now have to be totally indigent, but it would also be bad for tax payers who'd have to pay for raising welfare payments.
We're already paying corporate welfare. I don't think the corps would have to know what employees are collecting welfare. They would just get a bill from the IRS.
What would the bill be based on, total ignorance? Do you actually believe that the IRS knows how much welfare the employees of corporation 'X' are receiving?
The IRS knows where you work and how much welfare you collect, yes.
It has a tax return from each employee, but it doesn't tabulate figures on the employees of any corporation as a whole. Obtaining that information would require a multi-million dollar software project.

alf.jpg

...corporations taking advantage of workers which lead to a welfare increase? Did welfare increase and corporations found a way to take advantage? Either way is bad...
Let's get clear on this. Sounds like we're saying that folks owning big corporations are hurting their employees if the workers are also getting welfare.

imho it would be bad if the owners started a policy where they fired anyone getting welfare because it would not only would be bad for former employees who'd now have to be totally indigent, but it would also be bad for tax payers who'd have to pay for raising welfare payments.
We're already paying corporate welfare. I don't think the corps would have to know what employees are collecting welfare. They would just get a bill from the IRS.
What would the bill be based on, total ignorance? Do you actually believe that the IRS knows how much welfare the employees of corporation 'X' are receiving?
The IRS knows where you work and how much welfare you collect, yes.
It has a tax return from each employee, but it doesn't tabulate figures on the employees of any corporation as a whole. Obtaining that information would require a multi-million dollar software project.
Wouldn't it be as simple as something you fill out on your tax return? Yes I work for a company with over 500 employees and this is how much welfare I collected? Doesn't sound that difficult to do.

alf.jpg
Where did you get your degree then?

alf.jpg
You aren't claiming you have an economics degree, are you?

So then how have we gotten into this spot where our middle class has disappeared and the rich have gotten richer? CEO pay has gone up like a rocket ship while worker pay has stagnated?

CEO's are rare--at least good ones. They get the pay they do for the same reason an actress gets 10 mil for one film, or a baseball pitcher gets 8 mil for three years.

You and I own widget factories and we are competitors. We both need a CEO, but the best one available at the time wants 3 mil a year. You refuse to pay him that kind of money, but I don't. I hire him and we start taking your customers one by one. Eventually you are either out of business or close to it.

That's why I pay the CEO that kind of money. I can get minimum wage floor sweepers, machine operators for 12 bucks an hour, assemblers for 10 bucks an hour anywhere.

alf.jpg
You obviously don't have one.

CEO's are rare--at least good ones. They get the pay they do for the same reason an actress gets 10 mil for one film, or a baseball pitcher gets 8 mil for three years.

You and I own widget factories and we are competitors. We both need a CEO, but the best one available at the time wants 3 mil a year. You refuse to pay him that kind of money, but I don't. I hire him and we start taking your customers one by one. Eventually you are either out of business or close to it.

That's why I pay the CEO that kind of money. I can get minimum wage floor sweepers, machine operators for 12 bucks an hour, assemblers for 10 bucks an hour anywhere.
I've already schooled you on this subject many times ray, do you never learn? CEO pay and performance are not linked:
CEO Pay and Performance Often Don’t Match Up

CEO pay has increased dramatically because company boards are loaded with CEOs and they vote each other increases. It's a rigged game.

alf.jpg
You obviously don't have one.
I've read more books about economics than most economics graduates. Furthermore, I've read the right books, not bullshit propaganda.

Forum List

Back