Benefits of adding grades 13 and 14 to Secondary Ed.

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Not every child seeks a four-year college degree upon completion of high school. Many want employment and to begin earning money.

Consider these bullet points;

• Teachers will come from business, industry and government.
  • Students will be paid a minimum wage, and held to what is expected by future employers as to being on time, getting along with others and staying on task.
  • Students will be introduced to the array of jobs listed here: Occupational Outlook Handbook: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
  • Guest lectures and field trips will augment regular lessen plans
  • Upon completion of the two-year course of study, the successful student will have all the tools necessary to apply for and secure entry level employment in their chosen field.
  • these tools will include practice interviews and written resumes
Most communities have Jr. Colleges, which could incorporate such a two-year program, as well as a jumping off place for those who choose to transfer to a 4-year school.

What do you think?

Judging by the 12th grade graduates level of awareness and intelligence they will need a 15th grade too!

Good idea.

But my property taxers are already high enough so I'll pass, thank you.

Most communities have Jr. Colleges, which could incorporate such a two-year program, as well as a jumping off place for those who choose to transfer to a 4-year school.

THERE'S the path. K-12 has enough tasks on their plate. Get them out. Even EARLY out for trades, and specialty services. The Comm Colleges AND the trade schools that are making a comeback will do a better job.

If you live in a state that can afford subsidizing AA, AS degrees, like Tennessee just did --- even better.

And the message to the K-12 gulag is -- you better RAISE the expectations and shoot for getting kids to that "post secondary" level or you've failed them completely. Their lives are gonna depend on it...

• Banned
Good idea.

But my property taxers are already high enough so I'll pass, thank you.

Considering what taxes pay for is a product of the leaders we elect. Our priorities seems to be short sighted and exacerbate chronic problematic issues. It's time to recognize that we can no longer be a nation which makes things; technology, computers robotics, recreation, transportation and service type jobs are replacing retail clerks, and many blue collar jobs.

Change happens, no matter how many fear it and stubbornly support the old ways.

Not every child seeks a four-year college degree upon completion of high school. Many want employment and to begin earning money.

Consider these bullet points;

• Teachers will come from business, industry and government.
  • Students will be paid a minimum wage, and held to what is expected by future employers as to being on time, getting along with others and staying on task.
  • Students will be introduced to the array of jobs listed here: Occupational Outlook Handbook: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
  • Guest lectures and field trips will augment regular lessen plans
  • Upon completion of the two-year course of study, the successful student will have all the tools necessary to apply for and secure entry level employment in their chosen field.
  • these tools will include practice interviews and written resumes

What do you think?
Whether Germany still does it or not, they had/have a policy of having employers come into high school and meeting with senior students and sign the students up for jobs with those companies, then, once they graduate, they simply slide over into a workplace environment.
I do believe that ALL high school students should have mandatory classes in the US Constitution, its Amendments and Federalist papers, as well as a couple of classes in business economics so they actually understand our nation's founding better and how the nation's business environment works. Further, if they don't pass those classes, they don't graduate.

Too many other countries "track" kids from an early age. They measure aptitude and smarts and do a Hogwart's style "SORT" on their kids. So they are interfering with the entire reason for K-12 which is to allow kids to migrate towards their aptitudes over time. MAJORITY of college freshman still aren't still what their major will be.

We shouldn't be looking at other models with the current results we're getting. We should be PANICKED and focusing on the basics and RAISING expectations on the kids. K-12 is largely failing and not preparing the majority for higher ed. And then provide a full choice of alternative ways to prepare for a CAREER.

None! Use computers intelligently like some people were talking about in 1996:

Bennett

Our educators can't even create a curated National Recommended Reading List.

The textbook publishing business would not like that. How many useless variations in math books have been published in the last 50 years?

No. A 13th and 14th year is unnecessary. Kids are already in vo-tech by their junior year.I have zero interest in a bunch of nimrods finding ways to continue to profit off of education.

THERE'S the path. K-12 has enough tasks on their plate. Get them out. Even EARLY out for trades, and specialty services. The Comm Colleges AND the trade schools that are making a comeback will do a better job.

If you live in a state that can afford subsidizing AA, AS degrees, like Tennessee just did --- even better.

And the message to the K-12 gulag is -- you better RAISE the expectations and shoot for getting kids to that "post secondary" level or you've failed them completely. Their lives are gonna depend on it...

Vouchers for the entire system. Let the market figure out how and what to teach. The current system is a massive failure

The USA needs to get realistic and quit pretending that it's demographics are not rapidly changing. There are many more unintelligent teachers and students in public schools than there used to be.

Vouchers for the entire system. Let the market figure out how and what to teach. The current system is a massive failure

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

if the system isn't failing, why do people like you want to expand it and dump more money into it?

When 80% of students who "graduate" high school can't read or write, it's a failed system that needs to be completely revamped.

We shouldn't reward failure by expansion

I have never said I wanted to pour more money into the public education system. My take away from all of you conservatives who make this claim, and also feel the taxpayer should subsidize with vouchers alternative schools, believe the private sector, in all areas even beyond the education system, is good and anything touched by the government is not good, and even bad.

Clearly I hold a different opinion. The private sector, by definition, is profit driven. That is not meant to state they do not, or can not do a better job than our current public school system, it's just a fact.

Private schools do not need, and are mostly unwilling, to allow a student who is disruptive to remain in the classroom, or even within their private school system. Public schools must take every student, unless the student's behavior is a danger to others or themselves. However, the public school system is not off the hook, since every child within their community is required to receive educational services, paid for by the taxpayer.

Of course I also believe the hidden agenda behind the voucher movement is an effort by its advocates to brainwash a child. Sometimes with great subtlety, as when, "under God" was inserted into the Pledge of Alliance.

I have never said I wanted to pour more money into the public education system. My take away from all of you conservatives who make this claim, and also feel the taxpayer should subsidize with vouchers alternative schools, believe the private sector, in all areas even beyond the education system, is good and anything touched by the government is not good, and even bad.

Clearly I hold a different opinion. The private sector, by definition, is profit driven. That is not meant to state they do not, or can not do a better job than our current public school system, it's just a fact.

Private schools do not need, and are mostly unwilling, to allow a student who is disruptive to remain in the classroom, or even within their private school system. Public schools must take every student, unless the student's behavior is a danger to others or themselves. However, the public school system is not off the hook, since every child within their community is required to receive educational services, paid for by the taxpayer.

Of course I also believe the hidden agenda behind the voucher movement is an effort by its advocates to brainwash a child. Sometimes with great subtlety, as when, "under God" was inserted into the Pledge of Alliance.

Go find the "Waiting for Superman" documentary on NetFlix or other platforms. This is a WAR. Lives are being lost every new school year. We need to TRIAGE the situation..

And the 1st step is separate the parents that a give a shit from those who don't. That is what the documentary is about. About 4500 parents queing up (Lottery Style) for just a couple hundred VOUCHERS that get THEIR kids out of dangerous failing schools.. And the pain of NOT getting them..

We owe all the parents WHO CARE -- immediate relief. And deal with the other types of situations in other battles. Go WATCH IT --- and tell me you're just gonna ignore them... THEY KNOW what their solution looks like.

Go find the "Waiting for Superman" documentary on NetFlix or other platforms. This is a WAR. Lives are being lost every new school year. We need to TRIAGE the situation..

And the 1st step is separate the parents that a give a shit from those who don't. That is what the documentary is about. About 4500 parents queing up (Lottery Style) for just a couple hundred VOUCHERS that get THEIR kids out of dangerous failing schools.. And the pain of NOT getting them..

We owe all the parents WHO CARE -- immediate relief. And deal with the other types of situations in other battles. Go WATCH IT --- and tell me you're just gonna ignore them... THEY KNOW what their solution looks like.

Yeah, let's all support Segregation, that'll be the panacea.

SARCASM ALERT

I would be more in favor of replacing the 11th and 12th grades with career skills training. Sometimes it’s the bright kids that would rather learn a trade than go to college for a Bull Shit degree.

Yeah, let's all support Segregation, that'll be the panacea.

SARCASM ALERT

You're not gonna watch the carnage of keeping MOTIVATED parents panicked without hope. DARE YOU to watch it. And it's not segregation. It's actually in MOST cases works to the advantage of INTEGRATION.

You got nothing.. Watch the documentary..

Forum List

Back