Nov 22, 2003
At least the opening salvo:

Via
http://instapundit.com/archives/016902.php

The Fox link, (Read the Whole Thing):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127583,00.html

July 30, 2004
BUSH'S SPEECH IN SPRINGFIELD TODAY addresses the war issue:

The world changed on a terrible September morning. And since that day, we've changed the world.

Before September the 11th, Afghanistan served as the home base for Al Qaida, which trained and deployed thousands of killers to set up terror cells in dozens of countries, including our own. Today, Afghanistan is a rising democracy, an ally in the war on terror, a place where many young girls go to school for the first time. And as a result of our actions, America and the world are safer.

Before September the 11th, Pakistan was a safe transit point for terrorists. Today, Pakistani forces are aggressively helping to round up the terrorists and America and the world are safer.

Before September the 11th, in Saudi Arabia, terrorists were raising money and recruiting and operating with little opposition. Today, the Saudi government has taken the fight to Al Qaida and America and the world are safer.

Before September the 11th, Libya was spending millions to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Today, because America and our allies have sent a strong and clear message, the leader of Libya has abandoned his pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and America and the world are safer.

Before September the 11th, the ruler of Iraq was a sworn enemy of America.

BUSH: He was defying the world. He was firing weapons at American pilots and forcing the world's sanctions. He had pursued and used weapons of mass destruction against his own people. He had harbored terrorists. He invaded his neighbors. He subsidized the families of suicide bombers. He had murdered tens of thousands of his own citizens. He was a source of great instability in the world's most vulnerable region.

I took those threats seriously. After September the 11th, we had to look at the threats in a new light. One of the lessons of September the 11th is we must deal with threats before they fully materialize.

The September the 11th commission concluded that our institutions of government had failed to imagine the horror of that day. After September the 11th, we cannot fail to imagine that a brutal tyrant, who hated America, who had ties to terror, had weapons of mass destruction and might use those weapons or share his deadly capability with terrorists was not a threat.

We looked at the intelligence. We saw a threat. Members of the United States Congress from both political parties, including my opponent, looked at the intelligence and they saw a threat.

Read the whole thing. (Via Patriette).

posted at 03:33 PM by Glenn Reynolds

I'm feeling better about the elections. Fielding calls all day from friends wanting my 'take' on what's happened this week. Trust me, don't hang out with people into politics or pol. sci., we are boring. No one could believe that I hadn't watched much of it! That's what happens when family member in hospital. I think I may have been better off reading the speeches though. Just my 'take', there isn't much 'there' there for the dems. That will be problematic, since there are 'successes' and 'attempts', which are needed during wartime, which even Kerry acknowledges we are in.

Only speech I caught all of, Obama. He is good and has 'it'. His speech also lacked substance, but when one has 'it' you don't need much!

Kathianne, remember this. The past 6 months have basically been wall to wall al-Kerry coverage. Bush and the GOP have really laid low. Now that we're heading for the stretch, I think we'll see the GOP machine crank up and get the message out. The Dhiimicraps have "shot their wad" so to speak, now it's time for the truth to come out..........

JIHADTHIS said:
Kathianne, remember this. The past 6 months have basically been wall to wall al-Kerry coverage. Bush and the GOP have really laid low. Now that we're heading for the stretch, I think we'll see the GOP machine crank up and get the message out. The Dhiimicraps have "shot their wad" so to speak, now it's time for the truth to come out..........

Well perhaps with the exception of that colorful analogy, I agree. Actually on the phone with a friend a bit ago. We both concluded that the lack of ideas was the 'big news' at the convention. They are not united behind Kerry, rather in 'anyone but Bush.' I saw something the other day, I'll look for it later that said of LIKELY voters, 30% fall into that category. 40% fall into the Bush vote column. That leaves 30% to lean one way or the other.

Looks like Kerry will have to go negative, he has no alternatives to what Bush IS doing, thus he can only rant on HOW he's doing. He is taking a real gamble here, like I said earlier, even he admits we are at war. Thus, by complaining about 'getting more allies' especially in the face of the 19 we have and now NATO coming too, along with the UN inaction led by France, in the Sudan...

Bottom line, in 5 weeks, the convention will be forgotten, which is when the GOP meets. Last heard and all that. The points they wanted to 'hammer home' are just not there. Yep, I'm feeling better! :mm:

Sorry about the colorful language, grew up with brothers who told it like it is :laugh:

I'll leave you with this snippet for the evening:

" Kerry's caravan of 10 buses and at least 11 other support vehicles rolled through Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and Pennsylvania Friday. He didn't stop in safely Democratic Connecticut, but pulled over at Wendy's, a fast food restaurant, in New York's GOP-leaning Hudson Valley for an anniversary tradition.

John and Elizabeth Edwards ate at a Wendy's on their wedding night 27 years ago when they were recent law school grads too broke for a fancy meal. Although they have become millionaires several times over, they say they observe the tradition each year.

"I have to admit that Wendy's with an entire presidential campaign press corps is a little different than the first time we went there," Elizabeth Edwards said.

The Edwardses had hearty meals of burgers and fries and shared a chocolate Frosty. Teresa Heinz Kerry, apparently unfamiliar with the Wendy's menu, pointed at a picture of chili and asked the cashier what it was before ordering a bowl. Her husband had the same, along with a Frosty.

Remeber when Poppy Bush was chastised for not knowing what a gallon of milk cost? :laugh:

I can handle the language, just being teacherly! :eek: I do remember the Bush deal! He was amazed at the scanners, never having seen them before. It was pretty amusing, even to me!

"The rich are different from you and me." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

JIHADTHIS said:
Teresa Heinz Kerry, apparently unfamiliar with the Wendy's menu, pointed at a picture of chili and asked the cashier what it was before ordering a bowl. Her husband had the same, along with a Frosty.

Two things strike my funny bone on this excerpt.

1. The likely reason that Ms. Teresa was confused about the chili was attributable to the beans. She probably mistook the chili for caviar but had never seen fish eggs of that size before.

2. Little Johnny probably wanted a Wendy's Triple Burger with cheese and a large order of fries but was afraid Mommy wouldn't buy it for him.

Merlin1047 said:
Two things strike my funny bone on this excerpt.

1. The likely reason that Ms. Teresa was confused about the chili was attributable to the beans. She probably mistook the chili for caviar but had never seen fish eggs of that size before.

2. Little Johnny probably wanted a Wendy's Triple Burger with cheese and a large order of fries but was afraid Mommy wouldn't buy it for him.

I loved that Triple Burger, and holy crap I'd eat myself sick on that slathered chessie mess!

Then downtown Seattle Wendies just went bust and now there's only a Mc'Dees left in walking distance.

All that's left are sandwich shops like Subway and Quiznoes and I can't even sin anymore without really going out of my way. This sucks! :(

Forum List

Back