Before Their Time

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
There was, of course, a moment of silence this morning to remember those who died on 9/11. A surprising number of students had no idea what happened on that date. Some of this may be attributed to kids just being out of touch with anything outside their own personal experiences, but it occurred to me that enough time has passed that a great many people have no personal sense of the history involved. Obvious? Yes, but notable nonetheless.

There was, of course, a moment of silence this morning to remember those who died on 9/11. A surprising number of students had no idea what happened on that date. Some of this may be attributed to kids just being out of touch with anything outside their own personal experiences, but it occurred to me that enough time has passed that a great many people have no personal sense of the history involved. Obvious? Yes, but notable nonetheless.
I can remember when many people would "pause" the date JFK was assassinated. I was born 2 years after that event, so it didn't impact me the same as people that actually experienced that day.

I can tell you where I was and what I was doing on 9/11/2001 when the planes crashed into the twin towers.

You are speaking of students in your classroom? I thought you were a high school teacher. You have high school students that do not know? Amazing!

After WWII you had constant reminders of that war and the people involved, now they all be dead no one reminds us all the time about WWII.

I can remember when many people would "pause" the date JFK was assassinated. I was born 2 years after that event, so it didn't impact me the same as people that actually experienced that day.

I can tell you where I was and what I was doing on 9/11/2001 when the planes crashed into the twin towers.
I was in 2nd grade during lunch period when my teacher came running in crying saying the president was shot.
I remember it happened on a Friday.....and that they showed the movement of JFK's casket all Friday and Saturday. So no Saturday morning cartoons.
The killing of JFK signaled a total change in America. Before that we felt that there was nothing but promise for our future. Not anymore.
The presidency was never the same after that.

I was in 2nd grade during lunch period when my teacher came running in crying saying the president was shot.
I remember it happened on a Friday.....and that they showed the movement of JFK's casket all Friday and Saturday. So no Saturday morning cartoons.
The killing of JFK signaled a total change in America. Before that we felt that there was nothing but promise for our future. Not anymore.
Same for me I was in first grade and I can still see my teacher telling us the President was killed with tears streaming down her face. The 9/11 attack is imprinted on my memory the same way and there are many more casualties of that event than the 3000 that perished that day. But JFK's assassination ushered in LBJ and the "new" Democratic Party and as you say we've never been the same since.

I was at lunch in the school cafeteria and can still remember as the commotion spread from one end of the room to the other.

You are speaking of students in your classroom? I thought you were a high school teacher. You have high school students that do not know? Amazing!
If 9/11 isn't talked about by the kids' parents at home or taught about in a history class, it's very likely they don't know anything about it. Most people don't dwell on the past for very long. They move on.

If 9/11 isn't talked about by the kids' parents at home or taught about in a history class, it's very likely they don't know anything about it. Most people don't dwell on the past for very long. They move on.
Democrats celebrated Jan 6th....and they celebrated 4000 dead in Iraq.

They're not going to like memorializing 911 because it doesn't serve their purpose in any way.

911 is why you need strong borders, but Biden wants our borders wide-open....so he's not doing anything worthwhile on 911.

It does not seem like history, but a time that I lived through. With so many media specials, conspiracy theories and the like that have been put before the public, repeatedly, it just seems strange the HS students would not be aware.

It does not seem like history, but a time that I lived through. With so many media specials, conspiracy theories and the like that have been put before the public, repeatedly, it just seems strange the HS students would not be aware.
It's no surprise.
The left runs public education.....and 911 is something they want us to avoid focusing on. But you can't get them to shut up about 1/6th.
Do you remember what everyone was like for 6 solid months after 911?
I do.
We had almost zero negative commentary in the media about America. ZERO.
The only dumb-ass to try it lost his high paying gig (Bill Maher).

Makes me feel old knowing there’s people in their 20’s who have no memory of 9/11 happening

Camelot Dung

You’d think they’d at least have heard of it from their parents…

You are aware of what year this is and how old high school kids are, right?

You are aware of what year this is and how old high school kids are, right?
You would think it would be in history from the 6th grade up, at least.:(

Forum List

Back