Beer, Cigarettes & Marijuana -- What's the difference?

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Why are two of the above legal but the one isn't?
- 75000 die a year from alcohol related incidents.
- 0 die a year from Marijuana related incidents.
Why the hell can you drink as much alcohol as you want in America but a person can't smoke a joint without worrying about doing jail time? Simple question, please answer to the point.

Why the hell can you drink as much alcohol as you want in America but a person can't smoke a joint without worrying about doing jail time? Simple question, please answer to the point.

Get your facts straight and then maybe we can talk. No one died from a marijuana related incident? Really? Link please.

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

Get your facts straight and then maybe we can talk. No one died from a marijuana related incident? Really? Link please.

Ok, since you seem to know what the number is, please provide. This is where I got my info: Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

No. But cigarettes do cause 435,000 deaths a year.

Ok, since you seem to know what the number is, please provide. This is where I got my info: Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

i knew a dude that was stoned and fell to his death....i am sure weed is harmless....i mean how could a drug harm you....and holding smoke in your lungs...perfectly normal....

No. But cigarettes do cause 435,000 deaths a year.

But how many people die from "cigarette related incidents"??

The fact that you'd place BEER in the same category as cigarettes & marijuana explains why you are a "young lefty"...... or IOW, a fool.

And your stats come from . . . ?

Gee, no one died from a fire, slip and fall, bicycle, bear or any number of other things not included on your list. Wonder how many people were high when they died in the car accident, were hunting with a firearm or used another drug in conjunction with marijuana?

They are.

Subtly, yes. But they do - if they didn't, why would someone get addicted to cigarettes?

Well two of them will kill ya. Alcohol and tobacco- tobacco with a record of a 30% kill rate---and marijuana--we still haven't had one realted overdose or direct cause of death.

And I am a conservative tea party member----and advocate of medical marijuana.

SHOCKING--isn't it--LOL

Last edited:
Gee, no one died from a fire, slip and fall, bicycle, bear or any number of other things not included on your list. Wonder how many people were high when they died in the car accident, were hunting with a firearm or used another drug in conjunction with marijuana?

That's the problem with statistics. Most of the time, people who are smoking pot are also doing other drugs, including alcohol. That's why the statistics here are almost completely meaningless. Except the obvious one - no person EVER has died of an overdose of marijuana.

The fact of the matter is that marijuana is significantly less dangerous a drug than alcohol or cigarettes - and the fact that it is illegal while the others are not is due not to facts about the drug, but other political maneuvering.

Well two of them will kill ya. Alcohol and tobacco-with a record of a 30% kill rate---and marijuana--we still haven't had one realted overdose or direct cause of death.

And I am a conservative tea party member----and advocate of medical marijuana.

SHOCKING--isn't it--LOL

It isn't that shocking - but it does increase my respect for you.

We may not agree on many things - but I have the feeling that we agree on more than you'd expect.

That's the problem with statistics. Most of the time, people who are smoking pot are also doing other drugs, including alcohol. That's why the statistics here are almost completely meaningless. Except the obvious one - no person EVER has died of an overdose of marijuana.

The fact of the matter is that marijuana is significantly less dangerous a drug than alcohol or cigarettes - and the fact that it is illegal while the others are not is due not to facts about the drug, but other political maneuvering.

Agree 100%. In fact, the number 1 lobbyist in Washington DC against the use of medical marijuana is in fact, the pharmacutical industry in this country--that has bought and paid for decades of propoganda against a completely organic plant.

This while they're PUSHING on us all their new drugs which is the primary reason why our medical insurance rates have gone through the roof. New drugs for restless leg syndrome, and all of the other syndromes, including erectile dysnfunction. You get a 10 second description of what this new pill is for, then a 45 second warning of the side effects, which include: death, suicidal thoughts, weight gain, musle and joint pain, etc. etc. ect. Yet--the Federal Government still does not recognize an organic plant--with no long term side effects-while we're spending billions of dollars each year to prosecute and lock up the marijuana user.

Of course, all of this paranoia over something you could grow in your backyard that could wipe out half of your medicine cabinet.

Our Federal GOVERNMENT at work!!!:clap2: Did I forget to mention that I am a conservative--and active tea party member?

Last edited:

They are.

Subtly, yes. But they do - if they didn't, why would someone get addicted to cigarettes?

I have friends that claim they are addicted to chocolate. Is this also a perception altering substance?

If cigarettes are in the same rank as marijuana & alcohol, can you provide me with the numbers for drivers convicted of driving under the influence of tobacco???

They are.

I have friends that claim they are addicted to chocolate. Is this also a perception altering substance?

If cigarettes are in the same rank as marijuana & alcohol, can you provide me with the numbers for drivers convicted of driving under the influence of tobacco???

Actually, chocolate is absolutely a "perception altering substance".

Phenethylamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, no - I clearly did NOT put cigarettes on the same rank as marijuana and alcohol in terms of "perception alteration".

It's also necessary to consider that marijuana-related illnesses and incidents (such as traffic accidents) are usually just lumped into the stats for other substances. The stats for the health effects of tobacco, for example, are derived from statistics on a variety of health problems linked to tobacco, whether the sufferer actually smoked or not. This means that if long-term marijuana smoking DID cause lung cancer and emphysemia, we'd never know because it would just be labeled a "smoking-related death" and left at that.

Likewise, people DO get in traffic accidents under the influence of marijuana for the same reasons they do with alcohol: both of them screw with your reaction time and judgement ability. But a DUI is a DUI, and they all get counted together, not separated out by WHAT you were "under the influence" of.

Another thing to consider is that marijuana use, being illegal, isn't anything like as widespread as either alcohol and tobacco, so OF COURSE it doesn't have comparable statistics.

Agree 100%. In fact, the biggest lobbyist in Washington DC against the use of medical marijuana is in fact, the pharmacutical industry in this country--that has bought and paid for decades of propoganda against a completely organic plant.

This while they're PUSHING on us all their new drugs which is the primary reason why our medical insurance rates have gone through the roof. New drugs for restless leg syndrome, and all of the other syndromes, including erectile dysnfunction. You get a 10 second description of what this new pill is for, then a 45 second warning of the side effects, which include: death, suicidal thoughts, weight gain, musle and joint pain, etc. etc. ect. Yet--the Federal Government still does not recognize an organic plant--with no long term side effects-while we're spending billions of dollars each year to prosecute and lock up the marijuana user.

Of course, all of this paranoia over something you could grow in your backyard that could wipe out half of your medicine cabinet.

Our Federal GOVERNMENT at work!!!:clap2: Did I forget to mention that I am a conservative--and active tea party member?

What the smuck does "organic" have to do with anything? Nightshade and hemlock are both "organic", but they'll still kill you.

Forum List

Back