Beer, Cigarettes & Marijuana -- What's the difference?

/sigh...

Even as a Monthly/Social Weed smoker it's ridiculous to say there are 0 deaths caused by Weed..

I know 1 person who has actually gotten severely injured under the use of Pot.. Not to mention the people i know telling me stories about people who have died under the use.

Thanks for playing the Ignorant game, come back next week for more.

If there were someone/anyone that the Federal Government and the Pharmacutical industry could get a name on that actually died from long term use of marijuana--they would have a 24/7 advertisement against it. You know it--I know it.

As far as you know someone that got "severely injured"--give me a freaking break. Now go talk to your drunk neighbor that fell off of his porch and broke his leg---:lol::lol:

Ignorance at it's best.

Sure, no one has died due to Overdose.. But being under the effect of it? Sure.. I've been there, saw it myself.

It's a well known fact that nicotine is the MOST addictive drug--out of any other narcotic--including heroin, crack/cocain.

But does it cause perception alteration to the point where you can cause harm to others like alcohol and marijuana can?? That was the point of this thread, wasn't it??

The answer to your question:

Ask any cop: Do you have more problems with alcohol related crime or marijuana users?

I think you already know the answer to this.

The death on our highways related to alcohol are extreme. The domestic violence related to alcohol are extreme.

It may interest you to know that marijuana was actually legal in the United States on two different occassions. The first being the early 1900's-and then up until WW2 when the war department realised that U.S. soldiers weren't nearly as agressive toward the enemy after smoking MMJ. Since then--it's been illegal ever since.

Actually, I was asking about nicotine & cigarettes.

Why are two of the above legal but the one isn't?
- 75000 die a year from alcohol related incidents.
- 0 die a year from Marijuana related incidents.
Why the hell can you drink as much alcohol as you want in America but a person can't smoke a joint without worrying about doing jail time? Simple question, please answer to the point.

WRONG!!!!!

Factor in how many thugs are killed in drug deals gone bad, and you'll have the correct number of weed related deaths.

You potheads always preach about legalizing weed, but you don't know the consequence that would bring. Think about it: In the ghettos and trailor parks across America, selling weed is big business. Lots of thugs and bubbas get by with their bills by selling some dope. If weed was legalized, corporations would buy up the supply, offer better weed, etc, and put the local dealers out of business. Ya know, those evil corporations and how they are.

So then what would your local gangsta thug dope dealer do? Just say "Dang, now I gotta go back to living poor"? No. He'd start selling harder drugs, or worse, turn to even MORE property crime to make ends meet.

Keeping weed illegal is actually a FAVOR to the thugs in the ghetto as they can keep a steady cash flow coming in while having to pay a fine once in a while when caught. And the number caught vs the number selling is nowhere close. Odds are they can keep selling and making money without ever getting busted.

It's a well known fact that nicotine is the MOST addictive drug--out of any other narcotic--including heroin, crack/cocain.

But does it cause perception alteration to the point where you can cause harm to others like alcohol and marijuana can?? That was the point of this thread, wasn't it??

The answer to your question:

Ask any cop: Do you have more problems with alcohol related crime or marijuana users?

I think you already know the answer to this.

I was one for 8 years in Atlanta. I'll answer it.

The total number of problems from alcohol users and weed users? About the same. True, 99% of DUI's are from alcohol. Seldom if ever from weed. Sometimes heroin, crack, prescrips, etc. DUI is an alcohol problem, no doubt.

But, you said "problems", not DUI's. Problems stemming from weed use include unemployment, car break ins, larceny, burglary, shoplifting, etc. Basically stealing shit to get money because they can't keep a job.

Does that include ALL weed smokers? No. Of course not. Just like all beer drinkers aren't driving DUI, in fact, few do. Only the extreme users of alcohol, as so many DUI drivers are REPEAT offenders.

So, I basically think weed makes you more of whatever you already are. Lazy, smart, criminal, theif, artist, whatever.

But I never worked a murder that resulted from a beer or cigarette transaction gone bad. Weed? Yep. And if those thugs are willing to kill each other over $50 worth of weed........imagine the extreme measures they would go to if the government legalized weed, thus eliminating that lucrative cash flow they get from illegally selling it? The illegal status of weed is what keeps money flowing into some bad neighborhoods. I'd rather have that than legalize it and watch what those people then turn to next to make an easy buck.:eek:

/sigh...

Even as a Monthly/Social Weed smoker it's ridiculous to say there are 0 deaths caused by Weed..

I know 1 person who has actually gotten severely injured under the use of Pot.. Not to mention the people i know telling me stories about people who have died under the use.

Thanks for playing the Ignorant game, come back next week for more.

If there were someone/anyone that the Federal Government and the Pharmacutical industry could get a name on that actually died from long term use of marijuana--they would have a 24/7 advertisement against it. You know it--I know it.

As far as you know someone that got "severely injured"--give me a freaking break. Now go talk to your drunk neighbor that fell off of his porch and broke his leg---:lol::lol:

Ignorance at it's best.

Sure, no one has died due to Overdose.. But being under the effect of it? Sure.. I've been there, saw it myself.

Yep. And many have died during the trade of it in our streets when gone bad. People willing to kill over $50 worth of weed.

Now imagine it's legalized, corporate takeover of the manufacturing and selling of it, and that lucrative cash flow through illegal sales dries up. Then, those same folks willing to kill over a few dollars lose that income and must find some other means of making quick, cheap money. (See: Increased burglary, theft, fraud, etc).

the difference is the lack of scare tactics from nutjobs in past decades against weed. cigarettes and beer are also hard to produce in mass by one's self where marijuana can be easily grown in bulk in home. keeping weed illegal keeps the profits from both legal cigs & beer and from illegal weed grown elsewhere in hte hands of politicians and big business men and they won't have it any other way.

All three are addictive with marijuana being the least addictive and nicotine the most addictive.

There is no way to smoke cigarettes without having lasting measurable negative effect on the body though permanent damage usually takes some time to accumulate.

It is possible to take marijuana and alcohol in moderation without having lasting measurable effect on the body.

Unless taken in very large doses, nicotine generally does not produce any measurable effect on judgment and reaction time.

It is possible to use alcohol in moderation without having any significant effect on judgment and reaction time. Alcohol abuse can generate hostile and abusive behavior in some.

I am less convinced that it is possible to use marijuana in moderation without having any significant effect on judgment and reaction time. Marijuana generally does not generate hostile and abusive behavior.

Both alcohol and marijuane have been linked to fatal accidents; possibly alcohol much more than marijuana because it is used much more than marijuana.

Both cigarette smoking and alcohol abuse can trigger many ugly diseases. Marijuana is generally used more sparingly and therefore is less likely to cause such diseases; however it is a toxic substance and when used extensively produces uglies just as cigarette smoking does.

Alcohol leaves the system generally in 24 hours or less depending on quanity consumed. Nicotine requires up to seven days to clear the system and marijuana up to four weeks depending on how much is consumed.

Last edited:
Why the hell can you drink as much alcohol as you want in America but a person can't smoke a joint without worrying about doing jail time? Simple question, please answer to the point.

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

lol of course they are

nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report: in particular it is both a stimulant and a relaxant.[26] First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness.[27] By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.[28][29]
When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin.[30] This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration[31] and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine[32] and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.[33] Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.[34]
Research suggests that, when smokers wish to achieve a stimulating effect, they take short quick puffs, which produce a low level of blood nicotine.[35] This stimulates nerve transmission. When they wish to relax, they take deep puffs, which produce a high level of blood nicotine, which depresses the passage of nerve impulses, producing a mild sedative effect. At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use. (Another drug that behaves similarly is ethanol.)

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Agree 100%. In fact, the biggest lobbyist in Washington DC against the use of medical marijuana is in fact, the pharmacutical industry in this country--that has bought and paid for decades of propoganda against a completely organic plant.

This while they're PUSHING on us all their new drugs which is the primary reason why our medical insurance rates have gone through the roof. New drugs for restless leg syndrome, and all of the other syndromes, including erectile dysnfunction. You get a 10 second description of what this new pill is for, then a 45 second warning of the side effects, which include: death, suicidal thoughts, weight gain, musle and joint pain, etc. etc. ect. Yet--the Federal Government still does not recognize an organic plant--with no long term side effects-while we're spending billions of dollars each year to prosecute and lock up the marijuana user.

Of course, all of this paranoia over something you could grow in your backyard that could wipe out half of your medicine cabinet.

Our Federal GOVERNMENT at work!!!:clap2: Did I forget to mention that I am a conservative--and active tea party member?

What the smuck does "organic" have to do with anything? Nightshade and hemlock are both "organic", but they'll still kill you.

Then, of course--you have a link to anyone--over the decades that has ended up in one of our emergency rooms because of an overdose of marijuana--or one that has died of some kind of lung disease--over long term use of it.

Then maybe--you'll show some credibility.

The facts are: That our forefathers were fined if they did not grow marijuana plants--whose bi-products were used for rope and tents. George Washinton's main crop was the marijuana plant--and our Declaration Of Independence is written on hemp paper.

Are you sure you're responding to the right person? Organic doesn't mean healthy or good for you.

WRONG!!!!!

Factor in how many thugs are killed in drug deals gone bad, and you'll have the correct number of weed related deaths.

:lol::lol::lol:

So if someone was shot during a bank robbery I get to blame it on money?

Ignorance at it's best.

Yep. And many have died during the trade of it in our streets when gone bad. People willing to kill over $50 worth of weed.

Now imagine it's legalized, corporate takeover of the manufacturing and selling of it, and that lucrative cash flow through illegal sales dries up. Then, those same folks willing to kill over a few dollars lose that income and must find some other means of making quick, cheap money. (See: Increased burglary, theft, fraud, etc).

those crimes are fueled by drug laws

Drug-Friendly Netherlands to Close 8 Prisons -- Not Enough Crime

News by Marijuana Policy Project
(May 26, 2009) in Society / Drug Law
By Bruce Mirken

For years prohibitionists, including our own Drug Enforcement Administration, have claimed — falsely — that the tolerant marijuana policies of the Netherlands have made that nation a nest of crime and drug abuse. They may have trouble wrapping their little brains around this:

The Dutch government is getting ready to close eight prisons because they don’t have enough criminals to fill them. Officials attribute the shortage of prisoners to a declining crime rate.

Just for fun, let’s compare the Netherlands to California. With a population of 16.6 million, the Dutch prison population is about 12,000. With its population of 36.7 million, California should have a bit more than double the Dutch prison population. California’s actual prison population is 171,000.

So, whose drug policies are keeping the streets safer?

Opposing Views: Drug-Friendly Netherlands to Close 8 Prisons -- Not Enough Crime

Last edited:

What do cigarettes have to do with this? Are you claiming they are also a perception altering substance??

They're an addictive pychoactive drug

No. But cigarettes do cause 435,000 deaths a year.
Despite containing less carcinogens than tobacco, the manner in which marijuana is smoked (holding it in) results greater deposits of tar and carcinogenic chemicals)

Forum List

Back