Beautiful Black Ballerina

Remind us again how if a black person says they are proud to be black that is affirming but if a white person says they are proud to be white that is racist. Remind us again how if a black person says they do not care about whites that is ok. If a white person says they do not care about blacks that is racist.

Its called having an option and taking control of it. Reverse psychology doesn't effect people that are intelligent.

Agreed. What makes it even more interesting is that the "one drop" (from what I could find), is still in effect. Furthermore, it is not always the biracial people themselves who insist on identifying with their black half to define what they are.

Take Tiger Woods, for example. He actually labled himself "cablanasian", but he will forever be recognized as "the most dominant black golfer" to ever participate in the game of golf.

One-drop rule persists Harvard Gazette

the one drop rule is used to obtain affirmative action

Do some reading on the origin of the "one drop rule", you dunce. Furthermore, the "one drop rule" does not pertain to white females, who benefit more than all from affirmative action.

The depth of your abject stupidity is astounding.

logic eludes you

Not when it makes sense coming from an educated individual who is capable of expressing a clear thought supported by facts.

white females do not have an achievement gap and if they have benefitted it's not b/c of race

one drop doesn't exist except for affirmative action

the facts you present are opinions
obviously you were a "Bell Curve" test subject

Agreed. What makes it even more interesting is that the "one drop" (from what I could find), is still in effect. Furthermore, it is not always the biracial people themselves who insist on identifying with their black half to define what they are.

Take Tiger Woods, for example. He actually labled himself "cablanasian", but he will forever be recognized as "the most dominant black golfer" to ever participate in the game of golf.

One-drop rule persists Harvard Gazette

the one drop rule is used to obtain affirmative action

Do some reading on the origin of the "one drop rule", you dunce. Furthermore, the "one drop rule" does not pertain to white females, who benefit more than all from affirmative action.

The depth of your abject stupidity is astounding.

logic eludes you

Not when it makes sense coming from an educated individual who is capable of expressing a clear thought supported by facts.

white females do not have an achievement gap and if they have benefitted it's not b/c of race

one drop doesn't exist except for affirmative action

the facts you present are opinions
obviously you were a "Bell Curve" test subject

The facts provided to you have been facts that you could validate if you were not illiterate and did not have a comprehension problem.

White females "had" an upward mobility and access to opportunity issue because the were passed over in favor of white males in the workplace or were for the most part considered "not capable" of performing certain jobs. Maybe you never heard sayings like "a woman's place is in the kitchen".

"One drop" existed as a law long before affirmative action went into effect. Look it up. And no, I was not a bell curve test subject, but you are an excellent example of what chronic brain cell shortage looks like,

Either you are about 12, or you must be pretending to be as dumb as you sound.

Typically those that try to pretend that certain people are not Black fall into the same realm as those that have attempted to change the definition of caucasian. Upon realizing the import of several ancient civilizations the quest was on to redefine certain terms. Hence we have such nonsense as Black caucasians. Its almost like white people that once were proud of being white secretly realize that they have painted themselves into a corner with their idiotic and unscientific labels. :laugh:

...talks about how racism in the art is still prevalent and how she is making them eat crow.

Unlikely ballerina takes the stage - CNN.com Video

She didn't present it as a racial issue. Merely a color one. All the pale performers in Swan Lake and yes, she will certainly stick out. What she was talking about is how thoughtless the ballet community is because they will blurt out whatever crosses their mind without thinking how it affects the target of the comments.

My sister is married to a ballerina and I have heard that exact comment from her as well. And she's white.
Its weird how we can listen to the same video and I understand what she is saying is about race and you cant. Skin color is a big part of being Black.

Misty Copeland on Ballet Race and Her New Book -- The Cut

Not Really, shes no darker than i am
So what. She is the same color as my youngest daughter and she is Black.

You must have a lot of white in you:wink:.

...talks about how racism in the art is still prevalent and how she is making them eat crow.

She didn't present it as a racial issue. Merely a color one. All the pale performers in Swan Lake and yes, she will certainly stick out. What she was talking about is how thoughtless the ballet community is because they will blurt out whatever crosses their mind without thinking how it affects the target of the comments.

My sister is married to a ballerina and I have heard that exact comment from her as well. And she's white.
Its weird how we can listen to the same video and I understand what she is saying is about race and you cant. Skin color is a big part of being Black.

Nope. Only 3% My wife is 7%

Still there, in the genes man....Me being a darker Jewish guy living in Detroit most people always thought to be mixed "the light skinned guy" What you think? from the 80s skinny big Jew fro, black girls loved me :thup:

12-20-2014Highschoolpic_zpscaf5341d.jpg

Still there, in the genes man....Me being a darker Jewish guy living in Detroit most people always thought to be mixed "the light skinned guy" What you think? from the 80s skinny big Jew fro, black girls loved me :thup:

You have a guy that looks like me in your wood pile. The gene for white skin is recessive. There are Blacks in Africa with no admixture with skin as light as my daughters.

You have a guy that looks like me in your wood pile. The gene for white skin is recessive. There are Blacks in Africa with no admixture with skin as light as my daughters.

i don't have a wood pile. Just so you know there are times i felt more at home with my black friends than other Jews

I saw a piece on the woman just the other day, 60 minutes or 20/20 or some such... Very beautiful, very talented...

I am wondering, however, how much of the lack of color in the arts is due to racism and how much is due to lack of access at a young age? Misty Copeland seems to have gotten a lucky break or two and was able to develop her natural talent and get the exposure necessary to succeed. Other equally talented minorities don't get the same chances, frequently because they are cost prohibitive.

Hopefully she'll have broken the color barrier to allow other blacks into the entertainment industry

i don't have a wood pile. Just so you know there are times i felt more at home with my black friends than other Jews
Everyone has a woodpile. You are not a clone. You felt more at home because you have the same genes.

I saw a piece on the woman just the other day, 60 minutes or 20/20 or some such... Very beautiful, very talented...

I am wondering, however, how much of the lack of color in the arts is due to racism and how much is due to lack of access at a young age? Misty Copeland seems to have gotten a lucky break or two and was able to develop her natural talent and get the exposure necessary to succeed. Other equally talented minorities don't get the same chances, frequently because they are cost prohibitive.

That is part of it but she specifically mentions the struggles she ran up against due to racism. I was great at tennis but could not afford the lessons so I stopped and started playing basketball. My daughter is a natural at volleyball but the system they have requires a lot of money when compared to other sports. Luckily I am at a place in my life where money is no object.

That is part of it but she specifically mentions the struggles she ran up against due to racism. I was great at tennis but could not afford the lessons so I stopped and started playing basketball. My daughter is a natural at volleyball but the system they have requires a lot of money when compared to other sports. Luckily I am at a place in my life where money is no object.

I sometimes wonder how much we as a society are missing because of the costs and lack of access some folks come up against...

I remember seeing or reading a piece about the inability to swim of many inner city youths and they linked it primarily to not having reular or any access to swimming pools...

Everyone has a woodpile. You are not a clone. You felt more at home because you have the same genes.

We all have the same genes in this country, we are all mixed. Some people speak from ignorance. Some people have been sheltered all there lives and think if they support liberals that makes them good people. This view is typical among Jews in this country. Me? i'm multiculturaled and look at people as people first.

Not lucky you work to be where you're at in life. Which is what you should be pushing:thup:

I sometimes wonder how much we as a society are missing because of the costs and lack of access some folks come up against...

I remember seeing or reading a piece about the inability to swim of many inner city youths and they linked it primarily to not having reular or any access to swimming pools...
Yeah I dont get that one. I swim like a fish because I went to the YMCA as a youth during the summer. Not enough role models in the sport perhaps plays a role which actually is part of a viscous circle.

Pride 2007 - IMDb

I know two professional ballerinas. They started ballet lessons when they were very young, studied for years, and gave up pretty much everything for ballet. Their mothers devoted an enormous amount of time taking them to lessons, recitals, making costumes...it's an expensive and time consuming endeavor. To blame racism for lack of black representation completely misrepresents the reality. If more young black girls were raised in two parent families that could afford for the mother to make a full time career out of her daughter's ballet training, we'd see more black ballerinas.

BTW, I doubt the OP blames racism for the lack of short Asian players on basketball teams.

We all have the same genes in this country, we are all mixed. Some people speak from ignorance. Some people have been sheltered all there lives and think if they support liberals that makes them good people. This view is typical among Jews in this country. Me? i'm multiculturaled and look at people as people first.
I dont really subscribe to labels. I do notice that people that label themselves conservative tend to be racist, unempathetic people. I find Jews can be just as racist as anyone else. It all depends on the individual.

Not lucky you work to be where you're at in life. Which is what you should be pushing:thup:
I only push the hard work and never quit attitude but make no mistake, if you knew my experiences it was a lot of luck as well. Put it this way. I was amazed to make it to my 21rst birthday.

Forum List

Back