Beautiful Black Ballerina

...talks about how racism in the art is still prevalent and how she is making them eat crow.

Unlikely ballerina takes the stage - CNN.com Video

I saw a piece on the woman just the other day, 60 minutes or 20/20 or some such... Very beautiful, very talented...

I am wondering, however, how much of the lack of color in the arts is due to racism and how much is due to lack of access at a young age? Misty Copeland seems to have gotten a lucky break or two and was able to develop her natural talent and get the exposure necessary to succeed. Other equally talented minorities don't get the same chances, frequently because they are cost prohibitive.

I know two professional ballerinas. They started ballet lessons when they were very young, studied for years, and gave up pretty much everything for ballet. Their mothers devoted an enormous amount of time taking them to lessons, recitals, making costumes...it's an expensive and time consuming endeavor. To blame racism for lack of black representation completely misrepresents the reality. If more young black girls were raised in two parent families that could afford for the mother to make a full time career out of her daughter's ballet training, we'd see more black ballerinas.

BTW, I doubt the OP blames racism for the lack of short Asian players on basketball teams.
Disagree. If you listen to the video or read her book she plainly states there is racism.

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

Depends on where your interests lie and access. Racism can affect both.

...talks about how racism in the art is still prevalent and how she is making them eat crow.

I saw a piece on the woman just the other day, 60 minutes or 20/20 or some such... Very beautiful, very talented...

I am wondering, however, how much of the lack of color in the arts is due to racism and how much is due to lack of access at a young age? Misty Copeland seems to have gotten a lucky break or two and was able to develop her natural talent and get the exposure necessary to succeed. Other equally talented minorities don't get the same chances, frequently because they are cost prohibitive.

I know two professional ballerinas. They started ballet lessons when they were very young, studied for years, and gave up pretty much everything for ballet. Their mothers devoted an enormous amount of time taking them to lessons, recitals, making costumes...it's an expensive and time consuming endeavor. To blame racism for lack of black representation completely misrepresents the reality. If more young black girls were raised in two parent families that could afford for the mother to make a full time career out of her daughter's ballet training, we'd see more black ballerinas.

BTW, I doubt the OP blames racism for the lack of short Asian players on basketball teams.
Disagree. If you listen to the video or read her book she plainly states there is racism.

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

What percent of the population are Asians and what percent of basketball players are Asian?

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

Yes, the NBA is racist

That is part of it but she specifically mentions the struggles she ran up against due to racism. I was great at tennis but could not afford the lessons so I stopped and started playing basketball. My daughter is a natural at volleyball but the system they have requires a lot of money when compared to other sports. Luckily I am at a place in my life where money is no object.

Not lucky you work to be where you're at in life. Which is what you should be pushing:thup:
I only push the hard work and never quit attitude but make no mistake, if you knew my experiences it was a lot of luck as well. Put it this way. I was amazed to make it to my 21rst birthday.

Me too, I was shot in the back if the head during car chase at 19...By a white guy actually, a couple inches one way or the other i'm dead, and that was only one of many instances.

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

What percent of the population are Asians and what percent of basketball players are Asian?
Dont know about the population but as far as I know Lin is the only Asian American in the NBA. From the Asian people I know they simply think they cant make it. When Lin got famous I saw a lot more interest in the sport from Asian players.

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

Certain areas in China have very tall people, and they love Basketball there.:thup:

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

Yes, the NBA is racist
In what way?

act_jeremy_lin.jpg

Yes, the NBA is racist

Everybody is racist. The only reason why black people are ever turned down for anything is because of racism. Lol! :D

Forum List

Back