Be Sure To Get Your Flu Shot?

Your daily dose of what? D? The purpose was just to give enough so kids could absorb calcium. And it worked. Vitamin D & calcium are a couple of those weird things that have to be in the system almost simultaneously for the calcium to be absorbed. I don't think the motive was to make sure kids got enough vit d..it was to make sure they got enough to absorb calcium from the milk. And it worked.

I need to see my calcium levels I guess. Maybe that is why my D is low. *shrugs*

"Fortified foods provide most of the vitamin D in the American diet [4,26]. For example, almost all of the U.S. milk supply is fortified with 100 IU/cup of vitamin D (25% of the Daily Value or 50% of the AI level for ages 14-50 years). In the 1930s, a milk fortification program was implemented in the United States to combat rickets, then a major public health problem. This program virtually eliminated the disorder at that time [4,14]."
Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D

"Fortified foods provide most of the vitamin D in the American diet [4,26]. For example, almost all of the U.S. milk supply is fortified with 100 IU/cup of vitamin D (25% of the Daily Value or 50% of the AI level for ages 14-50 years). In the 1930s, a milk fortification program was implemented in the United States to combat rickets, then a major public health problem. This program virtually eliminated the disorder at that time [4,14]."
Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D
I think many small illness people have could be related to a lack or low Vitamin D. Think about it, our Kids today do not go outside and play like when we were kids. They sit inside and play video games and stuff. Not only that they don't drink milk and eat very well. Add this to the kids that live in the Northeastern part of the USA and I bet you that many kids that have been diagnosed for other things is bogus and rather due to D deficiency.

If that were true there'd be more rickets.

Which actually, there was a huge upswing in rickets for a while when the fad was to cut back on cow's milk, and when people were being told that lactose-intolerant children should avoid milk products altogether.

Big mistake. Rickets started showing up again in the US, and they've since learned that if a child is lactose intolerant, most times, if you carefully monitor their consumption of milk products but make sure they still CONSUME milk products, they get over it, or it becomes extremely mild.

Both of my kids were lactose intolerant as infants. They aren't now. I gave them soy formula...but when they started eating, I introduced milk into their diets again.

If that were true there'd be more rickets.

Which actually, there was a huge upswing in rickets for a while when the fad was to cut back on cow's milk, and when people were being told that lactose-intolerant children should avoid milk products altogether.

Big mistake. Rickets started showing up again in the US, and they've since learned that if a child is lactose intolerant, most times, if you carefully monitor their consumption of milk products but make sure they still CONSUME milk products, they get over it, or it becomes extremely mild.

Both of my kids were lactose intolerant as infants. They aren't now. I gave them soy formula...but when they started eating, I introduced milk into their diets again.
same with one of my children. I haven't checked to see if rickets has become more prevalent then past years but I'll trust you that it hasn't.

It was at one point pretty much completely gone, then in the 80s and 90s showed up again. It was directly related to the fad that milk was "unhealthy" and would lead to obesity, lactose intolerance, and a variety of other terrible things.

So they started pushing the sugary juices and our kids started shrinking and getting rickets again.

Once the medical community realized what was happened and they started in with the "got milk" commercials, I believe the incidence dropped.

Interesting, my youngest had to be on soy milk but I just gradually added a little milk to his soy milk and within 6 months he could tolerate whole milk with no problems.

My daughter, who actually had the worst intolerance to milk as a baby, loves milk now and I actually have to watch how much she drinks (she's her mom's kid, what can I say) because she'll drink it all day long.

My boy, who didn't react so strongly to it as an infant, doesn't like it. I have to monitor HIM to make sure he gets enough, because he prefers water. I make him drink it with dinner. I make pudding. We always have Nestle's on hand.

He actually likes cheese, I should buy more of it. I don't think of it because I'm not a huge cheese eater...one of my older boys lived on cheese sandwiches I think for about 10 years. He could go through a brick in a couple of days. I always had cheese then.

Little girl doesn't like it, I don't think of it, and my little boy digs peanut butter, so I don't think to buy cheese. I'll have to start.

My daughter, who actually had the worst intolerance to milk as a baby, loves milk now and I actually have to watch how much she drinks (she's her mom's kid, what can I say) because she'll drink it all day long.

My boy, who didn't react so strongly to it as an infant, doesn't like it. I have to monitor HIM to make sure he gets enough, because he prefers water. I make him drink it with dinner. I make pudding. We always have Nestle's on hand.

He actually likes cheese, I should buy more of it. I don't think of it because I'm not a huge cheese eater...one of my older boys lived on cheese sandwiches I think for about 10 years. He could go through a brick in a couple of days. I always had cheese then.

Little girl doesn't like it, I don't think of it, and my little boy digs peanut butter, so I don't think to buy cheese. I'll have to start.
I love cheese too, and that is what I generally eat for lunch is a cheese sandwich with a little mayo.

I don't know studies are being done they think a lack of D could be the cause of many things. Of course more study is needed in this area. I'm baffled as to why mine was so low when I'm an outdoors person. Heck on our boat my hub will be under the canopy and me, in the full sun. He would say put sun screen on and I say NOPE. WTF...I dont' get it
Vitamin D is helpful, but it is no substitute for a vaccine. The body cannot fight what it cannot recognize, no matter how well-nourished it is, and vaccines are proven to increase antigen recognition.

Compare fighting disease to a boxing match. Taking vitamins is similar to training...it improves your overall performance. Taking a vaccine, however, is like studying your individual opponent's style...if you know his weaknesses, you can hit his weak spots and take him down in one round.

Last edited:
But gosh it's great for utilizing calcium.

B-12 is also for some reason a pretty effective vitamin for addicts. Go figure.

But gosh it's great for utilizing calcium.

B-12 is also for some reason a pretty effective vitamin for addicts. Go figure.
The thing with vitamins is that an excess won't help you, but a deficit will seriously hurt you.

If you take extra Vitamin C, it'll turn your urine yellow as you piss it out. If you don't have enough Vitamin C, you'll die of scurvy

If you take extra Vitamin D, you'll damage your kidneys and liver. If you don't have enough Vitamin D, your cancer risk goes sky-high (Vitamin D is critical to DNA repair).

Last edited:
Lack of vitamin C also leads to other health issues...like weakening of blood vessel walls.

Illustrated Health Encyclopedia

Guillain-Barre

Definition:

Guillain-Barre is a disorder involving progressive muscle weakness or paralysis, usually following an infectious illness. It is related to inflammation of multiple nerves.

Causes and Risks

Guillain-Barre syndrome is an acute type of nerve inflammation. The inflammation damages portions of the nerve cell, resulting in muscle weakness or paralysis. The damage usually includes loss of the myelin sheath of the nerve demyelination) ,which slows conduction of impulses through the nerve. The damage may also include destruction of the axon part of the nerve cell (denervation), which blocks conduction through the nerve.

The exact cause of this disorder is not known. It usually follows a minor infection, usually a respiratory (lung) infection or gastrointestinal (gut) infection.

The signs of the infection usually have disappeared before the signs of Guillain-Barre begin. It may occur at any age but is most common in people of both sexes between the ages 30 and 50.

Guillain-Barre syndrome may occur in association with AIDS or AIDS-related complex, Mycoplasma infection, measles, herpes simplex, or other viral infection, major surgery within the past 6 weeks, systemic lupus erythematosus, Hodgkin's disease, other malignant diseases, and vaccines such as the antirabies vaccine and the swine flu vaccine.

austin360.com

Another reason to be vaccinated:

The fact that so many cases of Guillain-Barré begin after a viral or bacterial infection suggests that certain characteristics of some viruses and bacteria may activate the immune system inappropriately.

Guillain-Barré Syndrome Information Page: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

wow, so you think getting Guillain-Barre is a plus, amazing.

has anyone told you that YOU have to get this one?

I will go to jail before they force me to get this one. ;)

I rarely support breaking the law, but any law that forces people to do something is wrong, the only laws that should exist are ones that stop people from taking another person's freedom away, period. So if they try to force this on anyone, I won't hold it against them for breaking the law.
and what law forces anyone to get this shot?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ayy6Rl_5YU[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back