Be Sure To Get Your Flu Shot?

What I meant was that if this was due to an endocrine disorder, it could be due to the parathyroids.

TSH is what the pituitary gland produces to cause the thyroid to release its hormones. Therefore a high TSH can mean one is hypothyroid. Low levels could indicate hyperthyroid. Of course, there are other reasons why a TSH level can be too high or too low.
I know all that I'm hypo, but I was reading one night and some older lady who was hypo and in her 70's learned all in one day that she was hypo and V-D deficiency so i thought hrm I wonder if there is a connection.

SO I asked and it was answered a NO.

Like GTH said, the thyroid impacts all body metabolism; there could be a connection. I don't know. I mentioned parathyroid because they directly affect calcium metabolism.

BTW, with a floor full of H1N1 patients, I saw my first positive rapid flu.

That test is useless when it yields a negative result.

I just tried to search for any connection to thyroid and V-D on google and didn't find anything. My guess it could be but there is no medical study out there on it. OR if there is I didn't find it.

I found a couple but I don't know what the hell they mean :lol:
Legit study's or some doctor trying to make a connection?

Yeah I got H1N1 right now...it isn't so bad, I've had worst regular colds then this. I know, I know, everyone is different and I'm the lucky one.

I just tried to search for any connection to thyroid and V-D on google and didn't find anything. My guess it could be but there is no medical study out there on it. OR if there is I didn't find it.

I found a couple but I don't know what the hell they mean :lol:
Legit study's or some doctor trying to make a connection?

Research articles (or rather, abstracts).

I know all that I'm hypo, but I was reading one night and some older lady who was hypo and in her 70's learned all in one day that she was hypo and V-D deficiency so i thought hrm I wonder if there is a connection.

SO I asked and it was answered a NO.

Like GTH said, the thyroid impacts all body metabolism; there could be a connection. I don't know. I mentioned parathyroid because they directly affect calcium metabolism.

BTW, with a floor full of H1N1 patients, I saw my first positive rapid flu.

That test is useless when it yields a negative result.
Yup.

My first day back after getting over the flu, I admitted a patient whose child tested positive for the flu. This person had all the symptoms, but their swab was negative. I put this patient on the appropriate isolation per our protocol, only to have my co-workers blast me for that because "the test was negative". I pulled up the info regarding this, but they refused to listen and when I returned the next day, the day-shift nurse had decided on her own to take the patient off isolation and not use any PPE while caring for them.

Idiots.

The problem with medical articles is that sources like the NEJM aren't free. That makes it hard for you to do your own research.

Yup.

My first day back after getting over the flu, I admitted a patient whose child tested positive for the flu. This person had all the symptoms, but their swab was negative. I put this patient on the appropriate isolation per our protocol, only to have my co-workers blast me for that because "the test was negative". I pulled up the info regarding this, but they refused to listen and when I returned the next day, the day-shift nurse had decided on her own to take the patient off isolation and not use any PPE while caring for them.

Idiots.

You're fucking kidding me.

I mean, I am a medical student and know this shit, for fuck's sake.

It's not like this is some obscure pathology that no one is paying attention too. Ignorance is not an excuse here.

Does she understand the concept of sensitivity and specificity?

# The rapid tests vary in terms of sensitivity and specificity when compared with viral culture or RT-PCR. Product insert information and research publications indicate that:

* Sensitivities are approximately 50-70%
* Specificities are approximately 90-95%

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Rapid Diagnostic Testing for Influenza: Information for Clinical Laboratory Directors

A sensitivity of 50% means, with a negative test, you are basically flipping a coin. Which means you can basically discount all negative tests as a diagnostic tool.

Yup.

Idiots.

I wish I was kidding, and don't sell yourself short.

Of course, I had to deal with the patient and spouse getting semi-hysterical when I replaced the isolation signs and walked in the room with a mask, etc. (that no one had bothered with all the damned day). Once I sat down and explained to them why the isolation was necessary, and that a negative doesn't rule out the flu, they were cool about it. Thank God.

This unit is the strangest one I've ever worked. I'm bombarded by "education" inservices constantly, yet for all their "education", they are simply clueless.

(one of our required inservices was on how to open the doors in the ICU section of our unit. I shit you not. I got 0.25 hours CE for that :lol:)

Of course, I had to deal with the patient and spouse getting semi-hysterical when I replaced the isolation signs and walked in the room with a mask, etc. (that no one had bothered with all the damned day). Once I sat down and explained to them why the isolation was necessary, and that a negative doesn't rule out the flu, they were cool about it. Thank God.

This unit is the strangest one I've ever worked. I'm bombarded by "education" inservices constantly, yet for all their "education", they are simply clueless.

I profess ignorance on this matter, so don't take this as condescending, but do nurses have the latitude to place and remove isolation orders on the floor? I am just learning all of the protocols behind writing orders, etc.

But yeah, sounds like the unit could use some instruction on characteristics of tests. I know you know this, but a negative read has a 50-70% of being wrong, so where does that leave you?

Dizzzzzzzammmmnnnnn.

(one of our required inservices was on how to open the doors in the ICU section of our unit. I shit you not. I got 0.25 hours CE for that :lol:)

Doesn't sound any worse than some of the shit we get credit for. I thought the "communicating with a difficult patient" class was especially good. Not that it's not a vital skill, it is. The problem is that they actors they employ are so histrionic that I personally doubt I am going to see patients that present with that. A useful class would be "how to communicate with a non-compliant patient".

I profess ignorance on this matter, so don't take this as condescending, but do nurses have the latitude to place and remove isolation orders on the floor? I am just learning all of the protocols behind writing orders, etc.
Yes, we can institute isolation precautions. For example, if I have a patient I suspect might have CDiff (or one that has a history of it and develops diarrhea), I can put them on enteric contact isolation.

One fight I have repeatedly is convincing my coworkers to place patients with disseminated zoster (or immunocompromised patients with localized zoster) into airborne isolation in addition to contact. Sometimes I feel like I'm just banging my head against the wall. I have a copy of the CDC isolation guide and keep it in my locker in case I have a question about what precautions to take (it's an appendix on one of their pages, I'll see if I can find it again).

As far as isolation that is ordered by a doc, I'd get his/her approval first before removing the patient from isolation. I rarely see a doctor's order to place someone on isolation; they seem to leave it to us to know when to do so.

Here's the CDC guide: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/guidelines/Isolation2007_appendixA.pdf

Doesn't sound any worse than some of the shit we get credit for. I thought the "communicating with a difficult patient" class was especially good. Not that it's not a vital skill, it is. The problem is that they actors they employ are so histrionic that I personally doubt I am going to see patients that present with that. A useful class would be "how to communicate with a non-compliant patient".
You'd be surprised lol. Although I have noticed that they seem to save their best performances for us =\

Last edited:
Yup.

Idiots.

Lol.
I once went to a training in a huge, beautiful, outrageously expensive AAA (community center for seniors & people with disabilities) building, I think in Gresham. Anyway, this building is gorgeous....the halls are all really wide, the bathrooms are all standard for disabled people, beautiful glass sided building, full industrial kitchen, library, dining room, a variety of conference rooms and I don't even know what else, it was huge and new and gorgeous. Ramps to every door, extra large elevators, disabled parking and temporary load parking all around the building. Just a gorgeous, wonderful thing of beauty.

Every door, inside and out (and we're talking dozens, probably well over 100) had those wonderful big buttons you push that automatically opens the door and closes it gently (those things are great).

Except unfortunately...not one of them worked. Every single one was non-functional.

Go figure.

I'm feeling really nauseated right now...the throat is better but man my stomach is one big knot. Going to go lay down...this is the worse feeling I've had in years.

Any shot can cause neurological damage. So can infections, beer, and virtually any other thing you can name.

corn flakes?

i love the one about beer the most though. so lemme guess, how many beers does it take to get neurological damage? hmmm...one? two? ten? maybe one hundred? a thousand? maybe one has to become a raving alchoholic first? do tell.

Any shot can cause neurological damage. So can infections, beer, and virtually any other thing you can name.

corn flakes?

i love the one about beer the most though. so lemme guess, how many beers does it take to get neurological damage? hmmm...one? two? ten? maybe one hundred? a thousand? maybe one has to become a raving alchoholic first? do tell.

Numbskull,

I never said that beer causes GBS. I said alcohol can damage the brain. The larger point, obviously lost on you, is that the central nervous system is fragile and easily damaged. It wasn't an editorial comment, as I enjoy drinking as much as the next man.

As for the other stuff, I'll let you do your own research.

corn flakes?

Numbskull,

I never said that beer causes GBS. I said alcohol can damage the brain. The larger point, obviously lost on you, is that the central nervous system is fragile and easily damaged. It wasn't an editorial comment, as I enjoy drinking as much as the next man.

As for the other stuff, I'll let you do your own research.

oh come on man, how many beers would it take?

Woman Says Flu Shot Triggered Rare Disorder

She's seen more than 60 doctors. She says all of them were stumped until Johns Hopkins diagnosed her with dystonia. She believes her seasonal flu shot triggered it.

Desiree says, "Nothing else explains such a fast moving neurological damage. The medical hospitals ruled out everything, CAT scans normal, blood normal, MRI normal. The only thing that explains it is the shot caused the neurologic damage."

She says it is a strange disorder where muscles work against each other. She can't walk forward, only backwards. She can run, but she can't stop without help. She can whisper but has difficulty speaking. Noises can cause convulsions. Her resting heart rate is 90. When she runs her blood pressure dips to 58. She gets exhausted walking a few steps but she could run for hours.

Drugs such as valium and klonopin that make other people sleepy give her energy for hours.

Simple exercises become nearly impossible.

Desiree's husband, Brendan, says, "It gets worse everyday. It's heartbreaking to see."

Desiree says the disease is irreversible.

Woman Says Flu Shot Triggered Rare Disorder | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

I've never had a flu shot, and never will.

you can take your chances if you want, she did and she lost.

the hype from the obama admin is to blame for this, pushing the idea of some major epidemic that is really just duping good people into killing themselves.

seriously, all you good lefties should go get your shot.

Bump for the memories.

Desiree Jennings "cured" of her "vaccine-induced dystonia"? : Respectful Insolence

Woman Says Flu Shot Triggered Rare Disorder

She's seen more than 60 doctors. She says all of them were stumped until Johns Hopkins diagnosed her with dystonia. She believes her seasonal flu shot triggered it.

Desiree says, "Nothing else explains such a fast moving neurological damage. The medical hospitals ruled out everything, CAT scans normal, blood normal, MRI normal. The only thing that explains it is the shot caused the neurologic damage."

She says it is a strange disorder where muscles work against each other. She can't walk forward, only backwards. She can run, but she can't stop without help. She can whisper but has difficulty speaking. Noises can cause convulsions. Her resting heart rate is 90. When she runs her blood pressure dips to 58. She gets exhausted walking a few steps but she could run for hours.

Drugs such as valium and klonopin that make other people sleepy give her energy for hours.

Simple exercises become nearly impossible.

Desiree's husband, Brendan, says, "It gets worse everyday. It's heartbreaking to see."

Desiree says the disease is irreversible.

Woman Says Flu Shot Triggered Rare Disorder | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

I've never had a flu shot, and never will.

you can take your chances if you want, she did and she lost.

the hype from the obama admin is to blame for this, pushing the idea of some major epidemic that is really just duping good people into killing themselves.

seriously, all you good lefties should go get your shot.

Bump for the memories.

Desiree Jennings "cured" of her "vaccine-induced dystonia"? : Respectful Insolence
nice find

I've always understood that reactions to the flu shot were very rare. Can definitely happen tho.

Forum List

Back