Bariatric Surgery

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.
No surgery!!!!!!!

Buy a shove, a rake and a hoe.

Start a garden by hand.

Work you ass off, and don't eat anything junky.

You can live off the garden in 90 days, and in a year lose at least 50.

But you gotta suck it up, look yourself in the face, and not cheat.

Seeing as you have been fuckin' your body over for 75 years, being honest and sticking to it might be hard.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

Would you recommend it?

I watched a sad show called My 600 lb. Life. This is an example, I know you don't weigh 600 lbs. The doctor there says it only keeps you from eating a lot at once. You can eat a little 10 times a day and still not lose weight with it.

You need to be committed to it, it doesn't do the work for you. You should be able to lose 100 in a few months if you understand how it works.
Losing 100 pounds in a few months is very dangerous. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. It should take a year to lose 100 pounds,
Thanks Dr. Quack. Being obese is very unhealthy. I've seen a show on TV called my 600 lb. life and also the Biggest Loser. Those people lose a hundred pounds and more in that little time.

As long as they are seeing a doctor, they should be perfectly fine. A year is too long to wait to lose a hundred pounds. It is disappointing for obese people to look at a scale and only see a couple of pounds come off in a week. Unmotivating.
Why are you so nasty to me? What did I ever do to you. You're really showing your true colors.

Actually, all serious health authorities say that 1-2 pounds per week is the optimal weight loss for your health. That is a TV program you are using as a reference. I would not have confidence in a doctor who was a consultant on such a program. For someone who is 75 years old, it is a serious thing to drop a lot of weight fast. Are any of those folks on that TV program 75 years old? Age makes a huge difference. Still, those people, though they may be a lot younger, may be damaging their liver, heart, or kidney losing weight that fast.

Also, it is not possible to no longer be a diabetic when you have diabetes 2. You can lose the weight and get healthy and have no symptoms, but if you go off your diet and exercise plan, the symptoms will come back. Once you have it, you have it forever. Kinda like alcoholism. You can stop drinking and live a healthy lifestyle, but if you start drinking again, all the symptoms come back.

Also, someone stated that high protein, low carb diets were best for losing weight, and you will lose weight faster on one, but experts don't seem to think they are a healthy way to eat:

How Do Low-Carb Diets Work?

Normally your body burns carbohydrates for fuel. When you drastically cut carbs, the body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, and it begins to burn its own fat for fuel.
When your fat stores become a primary energy source, you may lose weight.
High cholesterol. Some protein sources -- like fatty cuts of meat, whole dairy products, and other high-fat foods -- can raise cholesterol, increasing your chance of heart disease. However, studies showed that people on the Atkins diet for up to 2 years actually had decreased “bad” cholesterol levels.
  • Kidney problems. If you have any kidney problems, eating too much protein puts added strain on your kidneys. This could worsen kidney function.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. When you're on a high-protein diet, you may urinate more calcium than normal. There are conflicting reports, but some experts think this could make osteoporosis and kidney stones more likely.
This person also indicated that complex carbs were 'garbage.' Totally untrue.

I do a lot of reading and research on these issues. I'm aging and want to take good care of myself. I am rarely ill and have no serious chronic problems, contrary to people 10 years younger than I am. Right now, at work, it seems like half the people are sick, most much younger than I: some virus is going around. I'm just fine. Can't even remember the last time I had a cold or the flu. I don't have aches and pains. I research a lot about aging and good health care, diet, exercise, etc.

If I were the OP, I would look into my eating disorder. I would also develop a healthy diet and exercise program. Swimming, I've read, is the best exercise for elderly people. Also do a good stretch routine daily. In the gym, the fastest way to get in shape is circuit training.

Last edited:
Obviously, you want to research the side effects. You must be relatively healthy or the doctor would not consider it in a person your age.

A friend of mine who had it (woman, mid-40's) did not lose anywhere near as much weight as she expected. Doctor says her digestive system is the most efficient he has ever seen. She does NOT like the food limitations, and implies that there are unpleasant "digestive" issues, but I don't know the details.

Dieting seems so much more rational for a person your age. There must be a diet somewhere that you can live with, in the long term.
I knew a fat kid that had it.

Went from 450, to 200 and settled out a 350.

Still a fatass.

Would you recommend it?

Any surgery at your age is problematic, even dangerous. That's something I'd consider. I don't think I'd ever do elective surgery, and I'm not your age. There is a book I read an article about a long time ago. The title is "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You." Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight has an eating disorder. You're lucky if you don't have diabetes.

My suggestion would be to get therapy instead. See a therapist once a week and deal with what is eating you. Deal with the eating disorder.

Good lord, go worship the therapy god somewhere else. Therapy has never cured anyone of anything...CERTAINLY it has never cured obesity or heart disease, and mostly, it makes things worse.

To be honest, I don't really eat that much and do my best to avoid white bread and sweets - I've become quite fond of truvia.
OP is 100 lbs overweight yet says he 'doesn't eat much"?

What, do your lungs convert oxygen into fat?
Must be something to that.

How can I go to bed at 182, and wake up at 185?

Fluid retention, muscle repair from working out, temporary 'gain' due to consuming mass quantities. Weight fluctuates all the time, which is why getting on the scale everyday (for some people who are trying to lose weight) can backfire ... or motivate you. Depends on your outlook!

As to the OP saying they don't eat much ... for two weeks, log everything you eat and the calories it contains. You will be very surprised at how many calories are in that 'not much' food you eat.

Great, then start by answering my question. Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

You have no real question. You have one of those "question authority" stickers on your moped simply because you are a cantankerous canker, whose only real goal in life is to be a dick.

One of us knows what he is talking about here, and it isn't you.

I think he asked a valid question. If you're going to give out nutritional advice then before I take it I would ask you what your credentials are. If it's just from personal experience then that's all you have to say.

I have dealt with enough nutritionists to know that they frown on true healthy eating and instead focus in some bs version of "low fat" garbage diet that has only made Americans fatter in the past 40 years.

I think your intentions were good by consulting a nutritionist, just realize they are only going by the crap "science" that brought society to its present obesity epidemic.
Nutritionists have planned the school lunch menus for the last 50 years.

Looking at today's kids tells me all I need to know about nutrionists.

There is only one way to lose weight, shut your piehole, and keep it shut, and exercise, exercise, exercise.

If your weight already wrecked your body, and you can't exercise, well, you aren't long for this world anyway, might as well enjoy what you have left.

I saw a fatty dying in Walmart today, driving the cart seemed to be more than the poor thing could bare.

Looked about forty, about five feet tall, and a quarter ton.

Not sure if they revived her or not.

Losing weight is like planting a pine plantation; everybody wishes they had done it 30 years ago.

Would you recommend it?

Any surgery at your age is problematic, even dangerous. That's something I'd consider. I don't think I'd ever do elective surgery, and I'm not your age. There is a book I read an article about a long time ago. The title is "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You." Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight has an eating disorder. You're lucky if you don't have diabetes.

My suggestion would be to get therapy instead. See a therapist once a week and deal with what is eating you. Deal with the eating disorder.

Good lord, go worship the therapy god somewhere else. Therapy has never cured anyone of anything...CERTAINLY it has never cured obesity or heart disease, and mostly, it makes things worse.
Therapy has a very high cure rate; it cures almost 100% of poverty in therapists.

If exercise is a problem, try water.

Arthritis assoc says its half of effort for twice the benefit.

true

i switched from pop to water

and lost 30 + lbs without much effort

I think what the reference is to using water as a medium for exercising. Go to the shallow end and walk back and forth. And, if you can, swim laps.

My problem is that I am nowhere near a pool where I can do this. And those that are reasonable close don't fit my needs. Too many children.
Excuses, excuses.

If too many children bother you, you don't want to lose weight, you want an excuse.

Suck it up and get to it.

Nutritionists have planned the school lunch menus for the last 50 years.

Looking at today's kids tells me all I need to know about nutrionists.

There is only one way to lose weight, shut your piehole, and keep it shut, and exercise, exercise, exercise.

If your weight already wrecked your body, and you can't exercise, well, you aren't long for this world anyway, might as well enjoy what you have left.

I saw a fatty dying in Walmart today, driving the cart seemed to be more than the poor thing could bare.

Looked about forty, about five feet tall, and a quarter ton.

Not sure if they revived her or not.

Losing weight is like planting a pine plantation; everybody wishes they had done it 30 years ago.

What you need to do to lose weight is create a calorie deficit. You do not need to exercise to lose weight but you risk losing muscle along with fat if you don't. But it isn't necessary as long as you create that deficit. The vast majority of weight loss is food related rather than exercise related. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym sums it up nicely. But by incorporating exercise into your program, it enables you to eat a bit more (or not, there are different takes on eating back your exercise cals) and makes you feel good!

Telling people surgery is a good idea when there are safe alternatives is retarded. The man is 75 and considering high risk surgery.

You are no kind of expert AT ALL in any field relating to medicine or nutrition. It is beyond irresponsible for you to keep hounding the poor guy with your utterly uneducated 'opinions.' The man and his doctor will decide what is a "good idea" for him. Not some know-nothing nobody on the internet like you. You wanted to give your opinion? Fine, you gave it. Now STFU and leave the guy alone. He is facing a difficult decision and you are just being a dick for no reason.

You want to help? Be supportive. Otherwise, go find someone else to bother.

Hey, asshole, go fuck yourself.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject. Keep your nose out of it, because all you are doing is derailing the thread and feeding into people feeling like surgery is the way to go. It's not.

People are fat because of lifestyle choices. They can get fit by altering those choices. Surgery should be relegated to removing tumors and fixing broken bones. And again, fuck off, punk.
People are fat because they are content to be fat.

When faced with themselves in the mirror, they rationalize.

Until a fatty understands it is a choice, nothing works.

So I thought I would come back and update this thread. I had the surgery and am down 60 lbs since. My surgery was on 9/30. It has been a very long road of learning how to eat again and eat properly. Havent touched a carb, soda, cookie in months. I eat about 4 small meals a day and protein is so important that it leaves little room for anything else in there. Protein first, veggies then carbs (good carbs) I will try to attach some before and "so far" pictures. I still have about 40 lbs to go to be in the "healthy" BMI.View attachment 34644 View attachment 34645
Good on you.

If you had done all that good stuff first, I bet you could have gotten by without the surgery.

Telling people surgery is a good idea when there are safe alternatives is retarded. The man is 75 and considering high risk surgery.

You are no kind of expert AT ALL in any field relating to medicine or nutrition. It is beyond irresponsible for you to keep hounding the poor guy with your utterly uneducated 'opinions.' The man and his doctor will decide what is a "good idea" for him. Not some know-nothing nobody on the internet like you. You wanted to give your opinion? Fine, you gave it. Now STFU and leave the guy alone. He is facing a difficult decision and you are just being a dick for no reason.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject. Keep your nose out of it, because all you are doing is derailing the thread and feeding into people feeling like surgery is the way to go. It's not.

People are fat because of lifestyle choices. They can get fit by altering those choices. Surgery should be relegated to removing tumors and fixing broken bones. And again, fuck off, punk.

It is a choice, everything is.

But on top of being a choice..food tastes good.

So there you have it. I have cured obesity. No need for a therapist.

Would you recommend it?

I watched a sad show called My 600 lb. Life. This is an example, I know you don't weigh 600 lbs. The doctor there says it only keeps you from eating a lot at once. You can eat a little 10 times a day and still not lose weight with it.

You need to be committed to it, it doesn't do the work for you. You should be able to lose 100 in a few months if you understand how it works.
Losing 100 pounds in a few months is very dangerous. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. It should take a year to lose 100 pounds,
Thanks Dr. Quack. Being obese is very unhealthy. I've seen a show on TV called my 600 lb. life and also the Biggest Loser. Those people lose a hundred pounds and more in that little time.

As long as they are seeing a doctor, they should be perfectly fine. A year is too long to wait to lose a hundred pounds. It is disappointing for obese people to look at a scale and only see a couple of pounds come off in a week. Unmotivating.
Why are you so nasty to me? What did I ever do to you. You're really showing your true colors.

Actually, all serious health authorities say that 1-2 pounds per week is the optimal weight loss for your health. That is a TV program you are using as a reference. I would not have confidence in a doctor who was a consultant on such a program. For someone who is 75 years old, it is a serious thing to drop a lot of weight fast. Are any of those folks on that TV program 75 years old? Age makes a huge difference. Still, those people, though they may be a lot younger, may be damaging their liver, heart, or kidney losing weight that fast.

Also, it is not possible to no longer be a diabetic when you have diabetes 2. You can lose the weight and get healthy and have no symptoms, but if you go off your diet and exercise plan, the symptoms will come back. Once you have it, you have it forever. Kinda like alcoholism. You can stop drinking and live a healthy lifestyle, but if you start drinking again, all the symptoms come back.
Because you get so whiney and funny. That's all, it's amusing.

One or two pounds isn't fast enough to keep one motivated, I'm telling you. Now, when I got out of the hospital, I wasn't eating and I started losing .8 of a pound everyday and it was scary because I'm skinny If you're fat and lose a pound a day, I don't think it would be harmful at all. My doc wasn't afraid, he just told me things to eat that would put weight on and he still isn't worried. I weigh just under 100 lbs. and I feel good.

I just think you say silly things sometimes. That other one, Roadrunner had more reasonable advice than you. He told the guy to get moving. 50 lbs. a year is still too little to keep someone motivated.

I need to exercise. And lose weight. But crap it's cold out.
You are missing such a great freebie.

Go out there and make that body burn fat keeping you warm.

Take up deer hunting, sit in the cold and shiver all day.

I guarantee you will lose weight.

I mean, if you don't bring a backpack full of food with you.

It is a choice, everything is.

But on top of being a choice..food tastes good.

So there you have it. I have cured obesity. No need for a therapist.

I love food and eat really good food a lot of the time.

A lot of the time I eat junk.

Thing is, if that scale hits 190, I don't eat a damned thing for however many days it takes to get back down to 185.

I do take milk in my coffee, and get a quart of it at least every day, but if the weight is up, and I get a little fat in my face,
I cannot look at myself in the mirror.

Forum List

Back