Bariatric Surgery

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

I cannot imagine anyone wanting or needing bariatric surgery for being 100 pounds overweight, but maybe you have some special circumstances. Get active, if possible, and change your diet. "Diets" do not work long term. You have to change your entire eating habits. It is a lifetime commitment.

You may well already know all this, but as an example, if you currently drink two 20 oz sodas per day, that equals 3500 extra calories per week. If you give up those two 20 oz sodas and replace them with water, you will lose one pound per week, assuming everything else remains the same and that you were not gaining weight but maintaining your weight. Add in just a daily workout for 45 minutes, and you can burn an extra 500 calories per day. Now you are dropping two pounds per week.

My whole family is very fat, diabetic, smokers, yadda yadda. One sister just died, another had bariatric surgery in 06. She hasn't lost much weight because she just eats all day - just as she did before the surgery. Like Sarah said above - a little at a time is still taking in more calories than needed.

She said the surgery is incredibly difficult but at that weight, I would think any surgery would be very hard. Its true that your diet is very limited and very boring.

I also agree with Delta - you're just too old to be a good risk. I doubt any doctor would do it.

You already know the answer - take in fewer calories than you burn off. No fad diets, no magic - just schlog through every day, every meal and never give in to "just this once, a little won't hurt".

There is a great deal of evidence that having a cheat day one or two times per week can be beneficial to losing weight so long as you are reasonable about it and stick to your lower calorie intake the rest of the week. If you deprive the body of too many calories constantly then the body goes into starvation mode and will hoard as much fat as it can rather than using it for energy.

To be honest, I don't really eat that much and do my best to avoid white bread and sweets - I've become quite fond of truvia.
OP is 100 lbs overweight yet says he 'doesn't eat much"?

What, do your lungs convert oxygen into fat?

Metabolism is an odd thing, and not everyone's is the same. It is possible to increase your metabolism but you need to work at it. I eat between 3000 and 4000 calories per day, and I keep my weight steady at just under 140. However, if I did not work out daily, I would likely be over 200 by now.

My whole family is very fat, diabetic, smokers, yadda yadda. One sister just died, another had bariatric surgery in 06. She hasn't lost much weight because she just eats all day - just as she did before the surgery. Like Sarah said above - a little at a time is still taking in more calories than needed.

She said the surgery is incredibly difficult but at that weight, I would think any surgery would be very hard. Its true that your diet is very limited and very boring.

I also agree with Delta - you're just too old to be a good risk. I doubt any doctor would do it.

You already know the answer - take in fewer calories than you burn off. No fad diets, no magic - just schlog through every day, every meal and never give in to "just this once, a little won't hurt".

There is a great deal of evidence that having a cheat day one or two times per week can be beneficial to losing weight so long as you are reasonable about it and stick to your lower calorie intake the rest of the week. If you deprive the body of too many calories constantly then the body goes into starvation mode and will hoard as much fat as it can rather than using it for energy.

I've read the same thing and that's the way I live as well. But what is reasonable to one is overdoing for another.

To me, its important that we never buy chips, cookies, candy, cake, pie but we do buy dark chocolate and about once a week, split a candy bar. That's about 90 calories.

What you wrote about soda is true. I happened to see that a soda machine next to the elevator at our hotel where we stayed the last few days showed the calorie count of the various sodas. I thought that was surprising and stopped to read. It was a coke machine and the very first one was 10oz and 250 calories!

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

I have a very good friend (my ex mil) that is your age and very over weight and has type 2 diabetes. She gained the weight due to having back problems and has had surgeries on her back and knees. She went from being a person that was constantly on the go to not being able to do much. For awhile, she would not even leave the house. Her sister did have the surgery, lost weight, and was miserable. She was not happy with the way her eating changed. So, my friend is unwilling to take that route. That and at her age some surgeries can create more problems than they solve.

After you had written the thread on the Mediterranean diet, I ordered two books on it and showed them to her. She was semi interested. One book contained a a two week plan. Frankly, there was more food in one meal then one would expect and it had a very low calorie count.

She joined Weight Watchers for the second time. So far she has been adamant about following her points. She was devastated after a second meeting when a man that weighed 300 lbs. lost 9 lbs right off the bat. Men lose weight faster then women. He had gone home after the first meeting and thrown out everything in his pantry that was bad.

She is the type of person that needs the support of others around her. Meaning that going out to dinner and what everyone else around her can and does eat can impact her points. It wreaks havoc on her diet. Her husband and her children and grandchildren do not have to follow this diet which makes it really hard for her.

My point is that you have to recognize where the weaknesses are and make a commitment to something.

If you like I can dig out the book and show you what a day plan looks like. Shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Did you gain all that weight with Surgery? Then you're not gonna' lose it with surgery.

I know a guy at work that lost a lot of weight with surgery a few years ago but now has it all back. And to add to it, his attitude when to sh*t because the only thing he lost was a lot of money.

The thing to remember is: Fat doesn't make you Fat. Sugar and processed Carbs make you fat.

Eat Beef, Chicken, Fish and pork. Eat plenty of vegetables. Drinks lots of water. Eat no peanuts and nothing fried. Get your Exercise by just walking.

You do that and I'm certain you can lose 75-100 lbs in one year.

Good luck!

Seconded. Almost all correct advice. I never heard eliminating peanuts though.

ok, so here is a little fact taht you didnt know about Diana....

I am having the Sleeve Gastrectomy on Sept 30th. I am overweight and have been for many years. I dont drink soda and am actually pretty active. I have tried many boot camps, diets etc and just cant lose the weight. I do have Hypothyroidism (and sleep apnea) but that is only a very small portion of why I cant lose weight. I need to get the weight off. Just about everyone in my family is diabetic and its only a matter of time for me unless I get the weight off.

Its getting more difficult for me to excersize due to joint pains because of my weight. Yes, I walk and lift weights but that doesnt help you lose 100 lbs. Joint pain = less excerize. Less excersize = no weight loss. It can be a vicous cycle.

The surgery is a tool. Its not a cure all. For the first month or so you are basically on a liquid high protein diet. It will not be an easy road for anyone that gets it. You still have to change everything you think about how you eat. Smaller portions and excersize.

And please..I dont need the lecture on me being fat and just making smarter choices. Save it.

It's not just portion control, it is what you eat. There are things common to the modern diet that create obesity. I would say, unless you have gone for several months on a no carb diet, eating protein and high fiber veggies, you ought to consider it before getting surgery. You have to be strict, though, not casual. I believe there are drugs for hypothyroidism that will help as well.

Do as you wish.

It's not just portion control, it is what you eat. There are things common to the modern diet that create obesity. I would say, unless you have gone for several months on a no carb diet, eating protein and high fiber veggies, you ought to consider it before getting surgery. You have to be strict, though, not casual. I believe there are drugs for hypothyroidism that will help as well.

Do as you wish.

I have been on thyroid drugs for a few years now.

And as I have said.. i have tried many different variatins of diet with the help of a nutritionist. The most I have lost was 30lbs over a year time period.

Some people are completely agaisnt weight loss surgery... and I get it. I do. But for some people it can really help them. It took me a few years to decide to go thru with it. It wasnt my first option... its my last. :)

Last edited:
You will not get good advice from a nutritionist. Almost none of them consider low carb diets to be healthy, but they are wrong. What I have found is that most people who have "tried everything" never really dug in and did a proper low carb diet (no starches, no sugar, no flour, no rice) because the advice most nutritionists offer is so-called "balance" that is loaded with whole grains (garbage), fruits (high in sugar), and low in protein.

I'm not picking on you and your life means your choices. I can only offer from personal experience that I know several people in your place who gave it one last college try and realized that there was another alternative rather than surgery.

Best of luck to you.

ok, so here is a little fact taht you didnt know about Diana....

I am having the Sleeve Gastrectomy on Sept 30th. I am overweight and have been for many years. I dont drink soda and am actually pretty active. I have tried many boot camps, diets etc and just cant lose the weight. I do have Hypothyroidism (and sleep apnea) but that is only a very small portion of why I cant lose weight. I need to get the weight off. Just about everyone in my family is diabetic and its only a matter of time for me unless I get the weight off.

Its getting more difficult for me to excersize due to joint pains because of my weight. Yes, I walk and lift weights but that doesnt help you lose 100 lbs. Joint pain = less excerize. Less excersize = no weight loss. It can be a vicous cycle.

The surgery is a tool. Its not a cure all. For the first month or so you are basically on a liquid high protein diet. It will not be an easy road for anyone that gets it. You still have to change everything you think about how you eat. Smaller portions and excersize.

And please..I dont need the lecture on me being fat and just making smarter choices. Save it.

That's the cycle that my mil is caught in. She can't walk for very long or exercise because she is in a great deal of pain. She also has sleep apnea. So, it takes much longer to lose weight. She is at the age that putting her under for any surgery is a very huge risk.

No matter what one does or what direction that you take it is a complete and total lifestyle change. You really have to know what you are, what you can do and what your limitations are. It's a very difficult road no matter what choice is made. And that happens for any individual who has to make a change (heart attack/diabetic/insert strange medical condition I have never heard of).

The problem with sleep apnea and a thyroid condition is that you are constantly exhausted. I work two jobs and have a teenage daughter. When I get home all I wanted do is go to bed. I am hoping the weight-loss surgery helps me with the sleep apnea. The meds will help with my thyroid. More energy means more exercise. Space not to mention losing weight will help with my knee issue. For me, the pros are outweighing the cons.

Usually the people that are against weight-loss surgery are the people that have never had to battle obesity in their life.

I am not saying that there are not people that are out there because they eat horribly and don't exercise at all. Then they wine that they are overweight. But there are some people that really do have difficulty getting the weight off after trying a lot if not all options that are available to them.

Last edited:
This is what has worked for people who have tried it, Longknife. Wait until you are truly hungry and then eat until you are satisfied and the hunger pains are gone. You know you are truly hungry when you hear your stomach letting you know it's hungry! So begin there. Eat until you are satisfied. NOT FULL. Use a salad plate for the portion of food you eat to help you keep down a temptation to eat more.

After awhile you will find that it is far better to eat until you are satisfied vs. eating until you are full. If you will do this you could eat whatever you want to eat provided it is permitted by your doctor. ( I don't know if you have low sugar, etc, get a check up ) If you can do this for a month or two - the very first time you eat to the point of being really full? ( over eating ) You will know it immediately and you'll realize your new way of eating is far healthier.

Another thing you may be interested in trying and I wiould recommend this to models and people who have to look their very best for their work. Go on the Daniel Diet. The Daniel diet is very simple. You only eat what comes out of the ground and is all natural. That means no meat, no poultry, no eggs, milk, no butter, no dairy, you can have bread that is made up of natural grain / wheat coming out of the ground - buy organic if you can - you can have all the fruit you want, salads, anything that is from the ground is a yes. Anything that does not come from the ground is a no. What you will see is that your skin will be glowing, your hair, your nails, everything will look better. Daniel flourished using the same diet and you may want to give that a try. Some people use the diet to give their bodies a rest from digesting junk!

So talk to your doctor and give that a try!

The problem with sleep apnea and a thyroid condition is that you are constantly exhausted. I work two jobs and have a teenage daughter. When I get home all I wanted do is go to bed. I am hoping the weight-loss surgery helps me with the sleep apnea. The meds will help with my thyroid. More energy means more exercise. Space not to mention losing weight will help with my knee issue. For me, the pros are outweighing the cons.

My brother in law had the surgery and it was a great success, Diana! He was in his 50's and due to a back injury he was not able to do regular exercise. He had been overweight for many years and he had tried other forms of dieting that didn't work for him. So he decided to have the surgery. He lost all of his weight and looks like a different person. He looks great! He has never regained the weight again and it has been years. I hope that is an encouragement to you and I wish the best for you!

You will not get good advice from a nutritionist. .

And just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

Unlike you, I actually would like to help people when I see the chance. Your entire reason to exist is to try and justify your pathetic life by constantly challenging people with nothing but your drunken genetics and diminutive stature as ammunition.

WTF have you offered in this discussion? Nada, just like your life in the gutters. :eusa_clap:

You will not get good advice from a nutritionist. .

And just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

Unlike you, I actually would like to help people when I see the chance. :

Great, then start by answering my question. Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

Great, then start by answering my question. Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

You have no real question. You have one of those "question authority" stickers on your moped simply because you are a cantankerous canker, whose only real goal in life is to be a dick.

One of us knows what he is talking about here, and it isn't you.

You have no real question. You have one of those "question authority" stickers on your moped simply because you are a cantankerous canker, whose only real goal in life is to be a dick.

One of us knows what he is talking about here, and it isn't you.

I think he asked a valid question. If you're going to give out nutritional advice then before I take it I would ask you what your credentials are. If it's just from personal experience then that's all you have to say.

Forum List

Back