Bariatric Surgery

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

my father in law went through it

his was /is very successful

it saved his life

That was an appropriate, responsible comment. I hope your father-in-law is doing well.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

Would you recommend it?

my father in law went through it

his was /is very successful

it saved his life

My father had it done about 4 years ago. He was diabetic and overweight. He was also prior military. He left the hospital without his diabetes medication and has been running marathons ever since.

If you use it as a tool and not a cure all it will/ can be a great thing.

I don't drink soda either. One coffee a day.

If exercise is a problem, try water.

Arthritis assoc says its half of effort for twice the benefit.

true

i switched from pop to water

and lost 30 + lbs without much effort

I think what the reference is to using water as a medium for exercising. Go to the shallow end and walk back and forth. And, if you can, swim laps.

My problem is that I am nowhere near a pool where I can do this. And those that are reasonable close don't fit my needs. Too many children.

It's always interesting to see people respond affirmatively when the answer suits their preconceived ideas.

For the life of me, I will never understand however the choice of dangerous surgery over a radical lifestyle change. A diet only radical, BTW, because people want to have their cake and eat it too.

Enjoy your surgeries, but realize you are willfully bypassing(pun intended) safe and effective alternatives.

It's always interesting to see people respond affirmatively when the answer suits their preconceived ideas.

For the life of me, I will never understand however the choice of dangerous surgery over a radical lifestyle change. A diet only radical, BTW, because people want to have their cake and eat it too.

Enjoy your surgeries, but realize you are willfully bypassing(pun intended) safe and effective alternatives.

Go be a dick somewhere else and stop hounding the guy, 'doctor.' :rolleyes:

Go be a dick somewhere else and stop hounding the guy, 'doctor.' :rolleyes:

Suck it hard, loser.

Telling people surgery is a good idea when there are safe alternatives is retarded. The man is 75 and considering high risk surgery. Not the smartest idea, and he did come here to ask for opinions.

There are a lot of jerks on message boards, but I have yet to come across an asshole of your caliber. You derailed the thread, junior faggot.

Telling people surgery is a good idea when there are safe alternatives is retarded. The man is 75 and considering high risk surgery.

You are no kind of expert AT ALL in any field relating to medicine or nutrition. It is beyond irresponsible for you to keep hounding the poor guy with your utterly uneducated 'opinions.' The man and his doctor will decide what is a "good idea" for him. Not some know-nothing nobody on the internet like you. You wanted to give your opinion? Fine, you gave it. Now STFU and leave the guy alone. He is facing a difficult decision and you are just being a dick for no reason.

You want to help? Be supportive. Otherwise, go find someone else to bother.

Telling people surgery is a good idea when there are safe alternatives is retarded. The man is 75 and considering high risk surgery.

You are no kind of expert AT ALL in any field relating to medicine or nutrition. It is beyond irresponsible for you to keep hounding the poor guy with your utterly uneducated 'opinions.' The man and his doctor will decide what is a "good idea" for him. Not some know-nothing nobody on the internet like you. You wanted to give your opinion? Fine, you gave it. Now STFU and leave the guy alone. He is facing a difficult decision and you are just being a dick for no reason.

You want to help? Be supportive. Otherwise, go find someone else to bother.

Hey, asshole, go fuck yourself.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject. Keep your nose out of it, because all you are doing is derailing the thread and feeding into people feeling like surgery is the way to go. It's not.

People are fat because of lifestyle choices. They can get fit by altering those choices. Surgery should be relegated to removing tumors and fixing broken bones. And again, fuck off, punk.

Hey, asshole, go fuck yourself.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject. Keep your nose out of it, because all you are doing is derailing the thread and feeding into people feeling like surgery is the way to go. It's not.

People are fat because of lifestyle choices. They can get fit by altering those choices. Surgery should be relegated to removing tumors and fixing broken bones. And again, fuck off, punk.

Surgery is usually the last option for people. And most insurances wont even approve the surgery unless they have a certain amount if time on a doctor prescribed diet. Insurance companies also want to see proof of diet/ excersize plans. Then you have to be on another 6 month pre op diet to show you can adhere to the restrictions after surgery.

And not all people are fat because if lifestyle choices. Some do want to lose weight and do try different diets and excersize routines.

I wish the op the best of luck.

Of the two of us, I am the only one who knows anything of the subject.

We have established that you have ZERO training, education, or expertise in any relevant field. You are just being a dick to this guy while he is trying to make a difficult decision because you apparently get some thrill out of it. You've said your piece now let him be.

So I thought I would come back and update this thread. I had the surgery and am down 60 lbs since. My surgery was on 9/30. It has been a very long road of learning how to eat again and eat properly. Havent touched a carb, soda, cookie in months. I eat about 4 small meals a day and protein is so important that it leaves little room for anything else in there. Protein first, veggies then carbs (good carbs) I will try to attach some before and "so far" pictures. I still have about 40 lbs to go to be in the "healthy" BMI. me6.jpg me7.jpg

So I thought I would come back and update this thread. I had the surgery and am down 60 lbs since. My surgery was on 9/30. It has been a very long road of learning how to eat again and eat properly. Havent touched a carb, soda, cookie in months. I eat about 4 small meals a day and protein is so important that it leaves little room for anything else in there. Protein first, veggies then carbs (good carbs) I will try to attach some before and "so far" pictures. I still have about 40 lbs to go to be in the "healthy" BMI.View attachment 34644 View attachment 34645
Congrats. You look really good. :)

Oh my gosh, Diana! You look awesome! Congratulations! You are a lovely girl! ( You were lovely before but you look healthier in the photo here) I'm so happy for you that the surgery was such a success! This is wonderful news. Thank you for putting up the photograph.

Would you recommend it?

Any surgery at your age is problematic, even dangerous. That's something I'd consider. I don't think I'd ever do elective surgery, and I'm not your age. There is a book I read an article about a long time ago. The title is "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You." Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight has an eating disorder. You're lucky if you don't have diabetes.

My suggestion would be to get therapy instead. See a therapist once a week and deal with what is eating you. Deal with the eating disorder.

Last edited:

Would you recommend it?

I watched a sad show called My 600 lb. Life. This is an example, I know you don't weigh 600 lbs. The doctor there says it only keeps you from eating a lot at once. You can eat a little 10 times a day and still not lose weight with it.

You need to be committed to it, it doesn't do the work for you. You should be able to lose 100 in a few months if you understand how it works.
Losing 100 pounds in a few months is very dangerous. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. It should take a year to lose 100 pounds,

Would you recommend it?

Any surgery at your age is problematic, even dangerous. That's something I'd consider. I don't think I'd ever do elective surgery, and I'm not your age. There is a book I read an article about a long time ago. The title is "It's Not What You're Eating, It's What's Eating You." Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight has an eating disorder. You're lucky if you don't have diabetes.

My suggestion would be to get therapy instead. See a therapist once a week and deal with what is eating you. Deal with the eating disorder.

I would not go to a therapist. That is not the answer. He needs to get into the Word and read it and ask the LORD to help him. Psychology is for the birds. Seriously.

Would you recommend it?

I watched a sad show called My 600 lb. Life. This is an example, I know you don't weigh 600 lbs. The doctor there says it only keeps you from eating a lot at once. You can eat a little 10 times a day and still not lose weight with it.

You need to be committed to it, it doesn't do the work for you. You should be able to lose 100 in a few months if you understand how it works.
Losing 100 pounds in a few months is very dangerous. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. It should take a year to lose 100 pounds,
Thanks Dr. Quack. Being obese is very unhealthy. I've seen a show on TV called my 600 lb. life and also the Biggest Loser. Those people lose a hundred pounds and more in that little time.

As long as they are seeing a doctor, they should be perfectly fine. A year is too long to wait to lose a hundred pounds. It is disappointing for obese people to look at a scale and only see a couple of pounds come off in a week. Unmotivating.

There has been research that says Type II people with diabetes who have bariatric surgery and lose a lot of weight aren't diabetic anymore. That's amazing.

Forum List

Back