Bariatric Surgery

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

Would you recommend it?

Would think most examples of such surgeries involve people half your age so wouldn't be relevant for you. To put it bluntly, unless your family lives/lived considerably beyond 75 I wouldn't worry about it.

"In the study that has garnered the most attention, surgeons from the University of Washington reported that Medicare beneficiaries who underwent bariatric surgery between 1997 and 2002 had higher mortality rates than earlier case studies have reported. Patient deaths occurred in 2% after 30 days, 2.8% after 90 days and 4.6% one year after surgery.

The figures were based on 16,155 patients (mean age, 47.7 years; 75.8% women) identified in the Medicare National Claims History database.

Mortality was strongly associated with advanced age, male gender and lower surgeon volume of bariatric procedures. In the first year after surgery, men were more likely to die than women (7.5% vs. 3.7%) as were patients older than 65 years relative to younger patients (11.1% vs. 3.9%). The odds of death increased five fold for patients older than 75 years relative to those between 64 and 75 years. Patients who underwent procedures by surgeons who performed fewer than the median number of procedures had higher mortality rates than those with median experience (3.3% vs. 2.0%)."
http://www.gastroendonews.com/PrintArticle.aspx?A_Id=6964&D_Id=186&D=From+the+Literature

In other words, might live a long and happy life simply dieting. Whereas with surgery you're MORE likely to die within a year of the operation.

Didn't even think +100lbs made people a candidate for such surgeries, thought it was more for 'morbid and super obese' candidates.

Would you recommend it?

I watched a sad show called My 600 lb. Life. This is an example, I know you don't weigh 600 lbs. The doctor there says it only keeps you from eating a lot at once. You can eat a little 10 times a day and still not lose weight with it.

You need to be committed to it, it doesn't do the work for you. You should be able to lose 100 in a few months if you understand how it works.

Would you recommend it?

I have known people from a work environment who had it. They seemed glad they did.

They were a lot younger than you. I am not sure if there are more complications as you age or not.

But I just wrote a report for a class on "wet brain" which is a condition that can happen to some people who get this surgery (mostly alcoholics get it).

It's because of malnutrition it is a Thiamin deficiency which causes the lower brain to bleed.

So if you opt for the surgery make sure to take vitamin b1 there is no damage in taking it even if you don't have a deficiency but if you do have one, not taking it can result in wet brain.

Obviously, you want to research the side effects. You must be relatively healthy or the doctor would not consider it in a person your age.

A friend of mine who had it (woman, mid-40's) did not lose anywhere near as much weight as she expected. Doctor says her digestive system is the most efficient he has ever seen. She does NOT like the food limitations, and implies that there are unpleasant "digestive" issues, but I don't know the details.

Dieting seems so much more rational for a person your age. There must be a diet somewhere that you can live with, in the long term.

My whole family is very fat, diabetic, smokers, yadda yadda. One sister just died, another had bariatric surgery in 06. She hasn't lost much weight because she just eats all day - just as she did before the surgery. Like Sarah said above - a little at a time is still taking in more calories than needed.

She said the surgery is incredibly difficult but at that weight, I would think any surgery would be very hard. Its true that your diet is very limited and very boring.

I also agree with Delta - you're just too old to be a good risk. I doubt any doctor would do it.

You already know the answer - take in fewer calories than you burn off. No fad diets, no magic - just schlog through every day, every meal and never give in to "just this once, a little won't hurt".

Would you recommend it?

I have known people from a work environment who had it. They seemed glad they did.

They were a lot younger than you. I am not sure if there are more complications as you age or not.

But I just wrote a report for a class on "wet brain" which is a condition that can happen to some people who get this surgery (mostly alcoholics get it).

It's because of malnutrition it is a Thiamin deficiency which causes the lower brain to bleed.

So if you opt for the surgery make sure to take vitamin b1 there is no damage in taking it even if you don't have a deficiency but if you do have one, not taking it can result in wet brain.

Thanks. I've already read information about taking Multivitamins afterwards.

To be honest, I don't really eat that much and do my best to avoid white bread and sweets - I've become quite fond of truvia.

As for exercise, I have a problem of falling. So, exercising is limited to things I can do holding onto something. I've tried exercycles and treadmills. Neither seems to work. And, with a fused vertebrae, walking at any length, even with a cane, is tough.

My cardiologists says he would give his okay of the surgeon decides to go ahead with it.

being diabetic...i looked into this...as it is an immediate cure but then you have all kinds of diet restrictions....looked to me i would be trading one harsh diet for another one....

To be honest, I don't really eat that much and do my best to avoid white bread and sweets - I've become quite fond of truvia.

As for exercise, I have a problem of falling. So, exercising is limited to things I can do holding onto something. I've tried exercycles and treadmills. Neither seems to work. And, with a fused vertebrae, walking at any length, even with a cane, is tough.

My cardiologists says he would give his okay of the surgeon decides to go ahead with it.

what the hell are they called...the bikes you lay down in...

recumbent bikes...

nearly impossible to tip over and there is always water exercise...wont be too hard on knees...you just need to keep moving somehow

Did you gain all that weight with Surgery? Then you're not gonna' lose it with surgery.

I know a guy at work that lost a lot of weight with surgery a few years ago but now has it all back. And to add to it, his attitude when to sh*t because the only thing he lost was a lot of money.

The thing to remember is: Fat doesn't make you Fat. Sugar and processed Carbs make you fat.

Eat Beef, Chicken, Fish and pork. Eat plenty of vegetables. Drinks lots of water. Eat no peanuts and nothing fried. Get your Exercise by just walking.

You do that and I'm certain you can lose 75-100 lbs in one year.

Good luck!

Would you recommend it?

My sister and I have discussed it for her: the problem is, she knows at least 4 different women who have had the 'stomach stapling' done and ALL of them have returned to their original overweight PLUS.

That's a more drastic surgery than the 'lap band' version - but either way they are making a hole into your abdomen, which is how those drug-resistant 'hospital germs' can get inside and colonize you.

Then, there's the change in eating habits which you would have to make in either case - eating only very small amounts at once, every few hours (kind of like a newborn....). That's something that you would HAVE to maintain, or you'd stretch your stomach and begin to overeat.

Third, while it's more effective to cut caloric intake than increase 'caloric expenditure' (ie, work the muscles in exercise) to lose weight - it's most effective to do both. One gets the added benefit of increased cardiovascular efficiency, improved balance and increased strength as well. 'Weight' training has been quite successful at restoring upper-body muscle mass to people even in their 70's and 80's.

See your GP and ask for the appropriate consults with a diet consultant (you may not realize where the calories are hiding) and a physical therapist to get you evaluated and started off at an appropriate level.

You can always start off by walking up and down a 'lane' in the pool. I was so deconditioned that was all I could manage - and I wound up losing about a pound a week by just doing that.

I find that the real problem is recognizing that the necessary changes in your behavior - add exercise, subtract some calories - are going to be permanent. And no, it isn't easy. It may not be fast, but was there a race? I didn't think so : ))

My SIL had that surgery earlier this year. She's lost 85+ lb so far (don't know how overweight she was; obese but not gianormously so).

Aside from the risks of a surgery like this, what it boils down to is that you have to change your eating habits. My SIL told me that she eats many small meals a day but she eats what she wants. She had those vanilla sugar wafers, ate two one night and they made her sick. Next morning? She had some more. Um, if you're not going to change yur relationship with food what's the point of having the surgery? Why put yourself through all of that? And if you have to change your relationship with food after the surgery ... why not do it without the surgery at all? You're not overweight because of any one type of food either, you're overweight because you consume more calories than you burn. Period.

Figure out how many cals your body needs on a daily basis and consume less than that, you will lose weight. Here's a good sight to help with that: TDEE Calculator

Personally I wouldn't recommend the surgery. Change your eating habits you will lose the weight.

If exercise is a problem, try water.

Arthritis assoc says its half of effort for twice the benefit.

When I hit 40 I noticed my metabolism ground to a halt. While my diet hasn't changed I've nonetheless gained about 40-50 pounds. Around 200 now (at least that's what I think it is, been too scared to check hehe.) But before I'd contemplate surgery of any sort I'd diet and exercise first. But being ever the pragmatist, unless I'm dating someone who gives a damn, why bother? :)

OP is 100 lbs overweight yet says he 'doesn't eat much"?

What, do your lungs convert oxygen into fat?

The hotel we're staying in serves a free "hot buffet" in the morning and evening. There are two extremely fat people staying here and its just astounding what they loaded on their plates. There was vegetarian pasta but I didn't like it so had a salad and a Bloody Mary. They both heaped it onto their plates and went back for seconds. This morning, we saw them do the same thing - they at enough for several people. I had scrambled eggs, OJ and a banana and I'm stuffed.

My sister used to say she didn't eat much but then would eat an entire key lime pie AFTER having had a huge dinner AND brownies. The sister who had the bariatric surgery lost weight but then gained it back and says its because the surgery doesn't work. No way could I keep up with her eating.

Like Delta, my metabolism really changed with the birthdays. I just can't eat like I used to. If I did, I'd be three feet across.

The bottom line is, take in fewer calories than you burn off. There's no magic pill or diet or surgery. Just stop eating so much.

Pasta is another weight gainer food. I cut it out 3 years ago and have rarely eaten it since.

Well, there are lots of online calorie counting sites so I will log onto one to see exactly what my intake is.

I never count calories and I stay slim. I lost 40 pounds not counting calories but just changing what I ate.

Funny how some people think metabolism is a "magic switch" of sorts that they can just flip on and off by eating certain foods.

Doesn't work that way.

Forum List

Back