Bariatric Surgery

Great, then start by answering my question. Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

You have no real question. You have one of those "question authority" stickers on your moped simply because you are a cantankerous canker, whose only real goal in life is to be a dick.

One of us knows what he is talking about here, and it isn't you.

I think he asked a valid question. If you're going to give out nutritional advice then before I take it I would ask you what your credentials are. If it's just from personal experience then that's all you have to say.

I have dealt with enough nutritionists to know that they frown on true healthy eating and instead focus in some bs version of "low fat" garbage diet that has only made Americans fatter in the past 40 years.

I think your intentions were good by consulting a nutritionist, just realize they are only going by the crap "science" that brought society to its present obesity epidemic.

Okay, so in your opinion, if I am trying to lose weight and make healthy choices who would I consults. A nutritionist goes to school for this. I doctor would send me to a nutritionist. Gyms usually have a nutritionist on staff.

So for someone such as me, where would you direct me?

This is an honest question. I am not being snarky at all.

Last edited:
Unlike you, I actually would like to help people when I see the chance. :

Great, then start by answering my question. Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

You have no real question.

I do, and I've asked it twice. Here it is again: Just what qualifies you to make this kind of sweeping generalization? Are you an expert in some related field?

Why won't you answer?

Okay, so in your opinion, if I am trying to lose weight and make healthy choices who would I consults. A nutritionist goes to school for this. I doctor would send me to a nutritionist. Gyms usually have a nutritionist on staff.

I would recommend you start by exploring a strict low carbohydrate diet. There are two books I suggest you buy: WHEAT BELLY and DR ATKINS NEW DIET REVOLUTION. For the Atkins book, look for a used copy published around the year 2000 or before, because once the Dr died, "Atkins" became an industry and they subsequently altered the structure of the diet to appease a public that didn't want to work too hard. Both the Atkins book and WB will explain to you scientifically (but in simple terms) why it is that you struggle with weight issues. Once you understand the why, the solution does not seem radical.

I've been down this road myself in the past, and have helped friends in the decades since.

Your choice to get healthy is the right choice, but unless you have immersed yourself in the concept of low/no carb lifestyle, you haven't exhausted all the options without going under the knife. The thing people don't realize is that once it becomes your lifestyle, the craving for the foods you now love, will go away. If you read the books you will understand the science behind that. Honestly, the only people I have known who have failed to get healthy this way are those who refused to adhere to the discipline. Temptation is the killer. Oh, and exercise, while it is great for you, will not help much in losing weight. It takes enormous amounts of exertion to make the slightest difference.

I really do wish you the best. it's not easy dealing with weight struggle.

You have no real question. You have one of those "question authority" stickers on your moped simply because you are a cantankerous canker, whose only real goal in life is to be a dick.

One of us knows what he is talking about here, and it isn't you.

I think he asked a valid question. If you're going to give out nutritional advice then before I take it I would ask you what your credentials are. If it's just from personal experience then that's all you have to say.

I have dealt with enough nutritionists to know that they frown on true healthy eating and instead focus in some bs version of "low fat" garbage diet that has only made Americans fatter in the past 40 years.

I think your intentions were good by consulting a nutritionist, just realize they are only going by the crap "science" that brought society to its present obesity epidemic.

"Have dealt with enough...to know"..........Wow, how authoritative.......... :rolleyes:

Those comments have established absolutely ZERO level of "expertise" upon which to base your claims. You should probably calm down a little and choose your words more carefully so you don't make such a fool of yourself.

I would recommend you start by exploring a strict low carbohydrate diet. There are two books I suggest you buy: WHEAT BELLY and DR ATKINS NEW DIET REVOLUTION. For the Atkins book, look for a used copy published around the year 2000 or before, because once the Dr died, "Atkins" became an industry and they subsequently altered the structure of the diet to appease a public that didn't want to work too hard. Both the Atkins book and WB will explain to you scientifically (but in simple terms) why it is that you struggle with weight issues. Once you understand the why, the solution does not seem radical.

I've been down this road myself in the past, and have helped friends in the decades since.

Your choice to get healthy is the right choice, but unless you have immersed yourself in the concept of low/no carb lifestyle, you haven't exhausted all the options without going under the knife. The thing people don't realize is that once it becomes your lifestyle, the craving for the foods you now love, will go away. If you read the books you will understand the science behind that. Honestly, the only people I have known who have failed to get healthy this way are those who refused to adhere to the discipline. Temptation is the killer. Oh, and exercise, while it is great for you, will not help much in losing weight. It takes enormous amounts of exertion to make the slightest difference.

One more thing, very important. These doctors who authored the books I suggest, they understand the psychology as well, and they address that by letting you know that just because nothing else has worked for you, does not mean you are a lazy or undisciplined person necessarily. The carb addiction is pernicious, your body tellls you you are hungry when what it really needs is to be reset to function normally again. Again, you'll find this in the books, and it will help you not to blame yourself (assuming you do) in where you find yourself today.

:eusa_angel:

I see this 'lo-carb' advice a lot. When people say it,they usually mean stay away from processed foods, breads, pasta, rice, spuds, etc. I do agree that once you stop eating processed foods your cravings/temptations for them diminishes greatly. But veggies and fruits are also carbs and eliminating them is not a sustainable road to live on, imo. I've known people who did strict Atkins for a good length of time but eventually, they 'fell off' that wagon and gained back all the weight plus some. What's your definition of a carb?

My advice is eat plenty of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, fruits, and drink 1/2 your bodyweight in water (ounces). If you weigh 150 drink 75 oz water/day. Stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

As far as exercise goes, pretty much this: weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens in the gym. Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.

I'd be more concerned about a blood clot from bariatric surgery at 75 and 100 lbs overweight than I would be concerned about my weight.

Exercise more. Skip the surgery.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.
The exercise, to get the metabolism up, will help you more than anything. As was said, swimming exercises and weight training for your legs, will help you out with less chances of falling and injuring yourself.

Best of luck to you, whatever your solution.

First of all, thanks for some of the great posts in this thread - ignoring the little childish exchange between certain posters.

It is very easy to give out generalized recommendations. However, each of us is different with different outlooks and experiences. Having been in the military, I am well aware of the benefits of exercise in my 23 years, I never once failed to pass a PT test.

However, in the 34 years since retiring, my lifestyle changed a great deal. And, as I was overweight when I retired, I'll admit to giving up the strenuous exercise.

Diet - I have not had any kind of soda for the past 20 years. Not one. I drink coffee with dairy substatute and Truvia sweetner. I then drink diet tea with no sugar. I generally avoid white bread, eating whole wheat or rye.

In any case, I have yet to meet with the surgeon although my Primary Care Doctor and cardiologist have suggested the surgery might be the way to go. I know the pros and cons and about the diet changes.

In any case, it's a way down the road. As for the poster who's having it Sept 30 - you have my best wishes and I will certainly be looking forward to your comments about it.

12 surprising reasons you can’t lose weight

Well, it's certainly not an excuse but certainly caught my eye as I'm contemplating bariatric surgery.

Read @ 12 surprising reasons you can?t lose weight | Fox News

By your own account, you don't overeat but you do eat wheat and other grains. What I found interesting in the book WHEAT BELLY was that the author puts forth that whole grains are actually worse for you, but that the bottom line is that none of it is any good at all.

Bottom line is, if you have never eliminated wheat and other starches completely from your diet, you will never know if the solution is actually as simple as that.

The bottom line is that people should make important decisions regarding surgery in consultation with their physicians and other health care professionals, not self-important, know-nothing dilettantes on a political discussion board. Sharing opinions and personal experiences is fine, but it is highly irresponsible for anyone to play at being an expert in a way that might cause someone else real, physical harm.

I am 75 and over 100 lbs overweight. Just talked to my doctor about having surgery to help me reduce that weight.

I've read the various sites on the subjects and am aware of some of the drawbacks – as well as benefits [which I feel far exceed any negatives].

My question – have you or anyone you know had one of the various procedures?

What is/was your experience?

Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for comments.

my father in law went through it

his was /is very successful

it saved his life

The bottom line is that people should make important decisions regarding surgery in consultation with their physicians and other health care professionals, not self-important, know-nothing dilettantes on a political discussion board. Sharing opinions and personal experiences is fine, but it is highly irresponsible for anyone to play at being an expert in a way that might cause someone else real, physical harm.

Right, because eliminating starches from your diet is harmful.

Why don't you run off now and have a nice cup of shut the fuck up. You offer nothing to any discussion but your festering bile.

Forum List

Back