Banned from driving, Saudi women turn to ride-sharing apps

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I didn't know they had Uber over in Saudi Arabia, but I sure am glad they do so these women can get around

Women are banned from driving and mass transit is poor, so they’ve started to rely on their smartphones to find rides.
By Alexandra Zavis Los Angeles Times

MAY 19, 2015 — 5:33PM

The face of a woman is missing in this roadside billboard in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – When Hala Radwan returned to Saudi Arabia after obtaining a business degree in France, she was eager to put her new skills to use.

She found a marketing job for a big international company. There was just one problem: How would she get to and from work in the only country that does not allow women to drive?

The mass transit options are notoriously poor. The cost of hiring a chauffeur was prohibitive. And she didn’t want to deal with the negative comments she would face if she tried to hail a cab in the conservative kingdom, where a woman using public transportation on her own is often seen as lacking morals.

“It was a nightmare,” she said. Friends tipped her off to a solution: Uber and a regional competitor called Careem.

Smartphone-based ride services are becoming increasingly popular in Saudi Arabia, especially among the large number of tech-savvy young people. Customers include foreign businessmen who don’t want to deal with the country’s sometimes chaotic taxi system. But more than 80 percent of users are women, the app companies say.

Continue reading at:

http://www.startribune.com/banned-from-driving-saudi-women-turn-to-ride-sharing-

Wow....

the conservative kingdom, where a woman using public transportation on her own is often seen as lacking morals.

Holy crappo, some cultures have gotta grow the fuck up.

I agree with you, Pogo, but I think it will take Saudi Arabia a long time to get with the modern world.

Muslims be like, "Bitch! Follow three steps back and two to the left; and don't even be thinking 'bout drivin' or showin yo ugly face!"

The original thugs!

Cool but republicans love the Saudi's and the Saudi's own Fox News. So fuck their womenfolk!!! :mad:

Hmmm... let me count all the times I remember Obama speaking out against SA. Mmmm....

zero-logo.jpg

the conservative kingdom

Conservative my ass. SA are facists. Conservatives believe in liberty or at the very least 'good sense.'

No, they have nothing to do with each other; conservatives believe in conservatism. Part of which means tradition. Which keeping women down certainly is.

That's why I think they gotta grow the fuck up -- break out of that hyperconservatism.

Cool but republicans love the Saudi's and the Saudi's own Fox News. So fuck their womenfolk!!! :mad:

Hmmm... let me count all the times I remember Obama speaking out against SA. Mmmm....

zero-logo.jpg
Good. The last thing the great Saudi Arabia needs is some liberal douche speaking out against their religious freedoms.

the conservative kingdom

Conservative my ass. SA are facists. Conservatives believe in liberty or at the very least 'good sense.'

No, they have nothing to do with each other; conservatives believe in conservatism. Part of which means tradition. Which keeping women down certainly is.

That's why I think they gotta grow the fuck up -- break out of that hyperconservatism.

It cracks me up that you believe in your demented definitions.

the conservative kingdom

It cracks me up that you believe in your demented definitions.

Hey, I don't write the dictionary. I just enforce it.
Nothin' to see here, move along...

I didn't know they had Uber over in Saudi Arabia, but I sure am glad they do so these women can get around

Women are banned from driving and mass transit is poor, so they’ve started to rely on their smartphones to find rides.
By Alexandra Zavis Los Angeles Times

MAY 19, 2015 — 5:33PM

The face of a woman is missing in this roadside billboard in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – When Hala Radwan returned to Saudi Arabia after obtaining a business degree in France, she was eager to put her new skills to use.

She found a marketing job for a big international company. There was just one problem: How would she get to and from work in the only country that does not allow women to drive?

The mass transit options are notoriously poor. The cost of hiring a chauffeur was prohibitive. And she didn’t want to deal with the negative comments she would face if she tried to hail a cab in the conservative kingdom, where a woman using public transportation on her own is often seen as lacking morals.

“It was a nightmare,” she said. Friends tipped her off to a solution: Uber and a regional competitor called Careem.

Smartphone-based ride services are becoming increasingly popular in Saudi Arabia, especially among the large number of tech-savvy young people. Customers include foreign businessmen who don’t want to deal with the country’s sometimes chaotic taxi system. But more than 80 percent of users are women, the app companies say.

Continue reading at:

http://www.startribune.com/banned-from-driving-saudi-women-turn-to-ride-sharing-
Oy vey! ...... :cool:

Forum List

Back