Banned for Reading Bible BEFORE Class

whatever happened to PLAIN BOOK COVERS? One need not ADVERTISE his
choice of books-----just put a plain cover on it. I was a kid once----I read lots of
stuff in class------just open the big textbook-----and put a comic book between the
pages. Why AGGRAVATE people? As to the teacher who gets an ITCH when
she sees a bible---------she got a problem-----should we care?
why does anyone have to put a cover on a book?

The perpetually offended need to be slapped down

lots of people cover "naughty" books-------it is a matter of
PROPRIETY. Long ago-----my dad----now deceased---had occasion
to supervise a store that sold newspapers and magazines. He noticed
that men who bought Playboy magazine------would HIDE the magazine
inside the NEW YORK TIMES------in order to pay---they would expose
only the corner showing the price------some people are very shy. They
would leave the store with the Playboy safely tucked INSIDE the Times
newspaper.

choice of books-----just put a plain cover on it. I was a kid once----I read lots of
stuff in class------just open the big textbook-----and put a comic book between the

newspaper.
Apparently, to this LBGTish professor, the bible is a "naughty book".

Why does he need his bible in a history class ?

There is a lot of real history in the Bible and a lot of fake history therefore the Bible is relevant in History Class.
Well the teacher didnt think so.

Did Mohammad go to the mountain or did the mountain come to Mohammad? In any event Mohammad found the mountain.

is there a point to that story? ------what happened on the mountain?

Veni vedi vici the mountain sorta thingy???

Greg
always preferred vedi vici veni myself

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."

I'm sorry...but the whole thing reads like fake news

If they have a tape, why can't we hear it?

They also have no right to tell him he can't keep it on his desk whether class is in session or not, period.
Why does he need his bible in a history class ?

In the United States, we have religious freedom laws, in this case the 1st Amendment,Tommy, and that right extends everywhere on American soil, despite what your fellow neo-fascist Rainbow maggots here in the U.S. are trying to suppress and ban. Their temporary successes aren't anything they can impose permanently; it's just a matter of stacking the Federal benches and the Supreme Court as they did previously, and giving them a taste of their own back in their face now.

And the teacher asked him to put it away. He isn't a kid that should need to be told that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app
1) It's college, not kindergarten.

2) He was reading before class. It's nobody's business what he's doing in his free time.

3) Martel is an idiot and the University is even more idiotic for hiring her.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com...aim-student-recordings-are-part-of-an-attack/
The group met the day after Campus Reform reported on a recording of a faculty member asking a student, prior to the start of Martel’s class, to put his Bible away because the sight of a Bible made Martel uncomfortable.

Campus Reform received the recording from the Kevin Cavanaugh for Congress campaign. In it, student “Mark Holden explains the situation to History Department Chair Derek Heng, who had been called in by the instructor, Dr. Heather Martel, after Holden had refused her request that he put his Bible away.”

The Campus Reform article points out that Holden “had arrived early to his U.S. history course and, as usual, used the spare time to read his Bible, but claims that Martel had objected to the routine because she didn’t want to see a Bible in front of her.”

NAU, a state university with a less-than-sterling academic standing, has earned considerable negative publicity this year due to the antics of its less-than-top-drawer instructors like Martel.

#heathermartel hashtag on Twitter

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."
Seems that using the label 'straight white male' was somewhat prejudicial.

So far, all we have is the students claim he was told not to read the Bible before class

We have no collaboration from either the professor or other students in the class confirming it. Given that the two had already had a previous altercation about his conduct in the class. it is possible the professor warned him before class and he is now claiming it was about bible reading

Fags are mentally ill, and the University put this mentally ill fetishist in a position with power showing utter disregard for the student body. The gimps that gave her that job should be fired, and she can be sent to a mental institution.

newspaper.
Apparently, to this LBGTish professor, the bible is a "naughty book".

Given what her 'community' finds as 'acceptable public behavior', the irony is over the top when these gimps run around whining about being 'offended'.

This story stinks of....lets hear the rest of the story before we go batshit crazy

I seriously doubt a professor would object to a student reading the bible before class
The only side we have heard is the student claiming she did

Lets hear what the professor and other students have to say

This story stinks of....lets hear the rest of the story before we go batshit crazy

I seriously doubt a professor would object to a student reading the bible before class

Feel free to dig up a link. I'll wait. :)

Feel free to dig up a link. I'll wait. :)

I did

I heard the incriminating tape and it does not contain the professor telling him to put away his bible. It is merely the student relaying his claim to another professor

I also read that the student had had a previous altercation with the professor not because of his political views as he claimed, but because he refused to sit down and shut up

It may have gone down as the student claims, but I get the feeling the student may be misrepresenting what actually happened before class. I'd like to hear what the professors side is. There were other students there, lets see if they support the bible claim

Forum List

Back