Bachmann's "blame Obama claims" debunked by Politifact

Bass v 2.0

Biblical Warrior For God.
Jun 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
PolitiFact | Michele Bachmann says U.S. spent $805 billion in Iraq, lost 4,400 lives under Barack Obama's watch

The Lie:

"Under Barack Obama's watch, we have expended $805 billion to liberate the people of Iraq and, more importantly, 4,400 American lives."

The facts:

From 2003 to early 2009, President George W. Bush was commander-in-chief overseeing Iraq. Only in January 2009 did Obama take over. So how do the statistics for money and lives break down between the two presidents?

For dollar figures, we turned to a report by the Congressional Research Service titled, "The Cost of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Other Global War on Terror Operations Since 9/11," published on March 29, 2011.

Through March 18, 2011, the cumulative enacted dollars spent on the Iraq war from fiscal year 2003 through fiscal year 2011 was $805.5 billion. So that’s where Bachmann’s figure came from. But that covers at least six fiscal years during the Bush presidency. It's a ridiculous exaggeration to attribute all that spending to Obama. (There’s been additional spending under Obama since March 18, 2011, but not nearly enough to bring his total up to $805 billion.)

For deaths, we turned to an independent monitoring organization called iCasualties.org, which is considered a credible source of such data; here’s some background on the group.

The group found that a total of 4,482 Americans have lost their lives in Iraq since the start of the war in 2003. Once again, Bachmann is close with her number but way off on attributing responsibility. Of those deaths, approximately 261 came on Obama’s watch, or about 6 percent of the total.

Why do these Republitards keep lying for? Is she stupid enough to think that politically aware wouldn't fact check her claims? Who's supplying her data?

Last edited:
You wrote: Woe to them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

Matt 5:44 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully ...

And so I forgive you for your agreement and implications with people that made the following statements that have been proven by this study..
A Harvard study found here THE "EMBOLDENMENT EFFECT" asked:

"Are insurgents in Iraq emboldened by voices in the news media expressing dissent or calling
for troop withdrawals from Iraq?

The short answer is YES!!! according to Radha Iyengar, a Robert Wood Johnson Scholar in health policy
research at Harvard and Jonathan Monten of the Belfer Center at the university's Kennedy School of Government.

STUDY ABSTRACT
Are insurgents affected by information on US casualty sensitivity?
Using data on attacks and variation in access to international news across Iraqi
provinces, we identify an “emboldenment” effect by comparing the rate of insurgent
attacks in areas with higher and lower access to information about U.S news after
public statements critical of the war.
We find in periods after a spike in war-critical statements, insurgent attacks
increases by 5-10 percent.
The results suggest that insurgent groups respond rationally to expected probability of US withdrawal.
Excuse me but military accomplished the overthrow of Saddam in May of 2003!
BUT when our own leaders including the future CIC make terrorist/thug/barbarian recruiting statements like these:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid(D) "War is lost",
U.S. Rep. John Murtha(D) "Our troops killed innocent civilians in cold blood,”
Senator Kerry (D) "American soldiers going into the homes of Iraqis in the
dead of night, terrorizing kids and children."
Senator Obama said "troops are air-raiding villages and killing civilians,"

How many thugs were recruited that joined to kill your friends and neighbors?
How many thug/barbarians were recruited when they heard our OWN leaders say our troops kill children?

I can forgive you for your TRAITOROUS agreement with the above statements but I can't speak for the 300,000 graves filled by Saddam. Nor the 28 million Iraqis that are free IN SPITE of the discouraging words of people like you and the above traitors.

I can't speak for the 3,000+ troops that died or the 85,000 Iraqis KILLED by the terrorists or $600 billion more spent because people LIKE you encouraged the enemy to kill more US troops and prolonging the conflict!

I KNOW for a fact that people like you that HELPED prolong the Liberation of Iraq would have been treated in WWI & WWII as disgusting traitors!
Traitors because you agree with Reid who encouraged the enemy by saying "War is lost"!
Traitors like Kerry who called our Troops "TERRORISTS"! My God our own troops!
Traitors like Obama who said our troops methodically air raided villages killing civilians!

Really I can forgive people like you because my Savior once said:
Luke 23:34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know ...
And you that spout the Bible??

Evidently total ignorance of the potential destruction of the "Garden of Eden"

In Iraq, where many biblical scholars place the Garden of Eden, Scott Pelley(CBS News Anchor!!) finds a water world where the Marsh Arabs are making a comeback after Saddam nearly destroyed the cradle of civilization.

It turns out Saddam Hussein did possess a weapon of mass destruction and he used it in a slaughter that few have heard of until now: after the Gulf War in 1991, the dictator spent untold millions on this weapon, designed to exterminate an ancient civilization called the "Ma'dan," also known as the "Marsh Arabs."
In a five-year project 90 percent of the marshes were drained - an area of more than 3,000 square miles.

"As an engineer, I'm telling you, drying of the marshes is definitely not an easy task. It's a monumental engineering project," Alwash explained. "He put every piece of equipment available in Iraq under his control at the services of the projects needed to dry the marshes."

"Saddam was using water as a weapon?" Pelley asked.

"You know, the world was looking for weapons of mass destruction. And the evidence was right under its nose," Alwash.

Resurrecting Eden - 60 Minutes - CBS News

And you the Bible quoter evidently WERE OK with the "Garden of Eden" destruction!

Myths, you are an idiot.

Iraq has been a FUBAR from beginning to end.

Actually, the beginning was a spectacular success. It's everything after the first 2 or 3 weeks that's been a FUBAR.

More like right after the invasion and I still do not understand what they were trying to accomplish with CIA tactics. You would have to be a fool to not believe it was planned that way. The US has always been a successful occupier and instead we did everything the opposite of what we know works.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back