AZ Senator Kyrsten Sinema won't support $15 Minimum Wage

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Senator Kyrsten Sinema has expressed her opposition to raising the federal minimum wage to $15, dealing a blow to the Biden administration’s hopes of fulfilling a key campaign promise in the upcoming coronavirus relief package.

“What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term COVID relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema said in an interview with Politico.

“The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there,” the Arizona Democrat added.

Democrats are hoping to push through a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package using budget reconciliation, a parliamentary procedure that allows them to approve the legislation with a simple majority of 51 votes rather than the 60 votes normally required.

The Senate is currently split evenly with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans. If no Republican crosses party lines to vote for the relief bill, Democrats would need all Democrats to vote as a bloc, and Vice President Kamala Harris would cast the deciding vote in favor of the package.

Another moderate Democrat, Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, has also added to his party’s travails regarding the relief bill’s passage, saying he would not support including a federal $15 minimum wage either.

Sinema, the first Democrat to win a Senate seat in Arizona in 30 years, is also reluctant to approve legislation with a simple majority of senators through the budget reconciliation process, rather than clearing the normal legislative hurdle.

“I want to restore the 60-vote threshold for all elements of the Senate’s work,” she said.

The Senate parliamentarian is supposed to rule on whether the M-Wage increase can be included in a reconciliation bill, but has yet to do so. Doesn't sound like it would pass anyway though. And it doesn't sound like she or Manchin will support efforts to circumvent the 60-vote filibuster either, and that was my main worry. If I'm not mistaken, the Senate can only push through one reconciliation bill per year, according to their rules. So most of that weird Far Left Green New Deal crap isn't going to happen, unless Biden get creative with his EOs. Which I'm sure the Repubs will challenge in court, same as the Dems did for Trump's EOs. Good on her and Manchin, but they're going to face a lot of heat for not giving the Far Left what they want.

Biden says he'll push for the $15 M-Wage in a separate bill, which I doubt will get though the Senate either.

Senator Kyrsten Sinema has expressed her opposition to raising the federal minimum wage to $15, dealing a blow to the Biden administration’s hopes of fulfilling a key campaign promise in the upcoming coronavirus relief package.

“What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term COVID relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema said in an interview with Politico.

“The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there,” the Arizona Democrat added.

Democrats are hoping to push through a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package using budget reconciliation, a parliamentary procedure that allows them to approve the legislation with a simple majority of 51 votes rather than the 60 votes normally required.

The Senate is currently split evenly with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans. If no Republican crosses party lines to vote for the relief bill, Democrats would need all Democrats to vote as a bloc, and Vice President Kamala Harris would cast the deciding vote in favor of the package.

Another moderate Democrat, Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, has also added to his party’s travails regarding the relief bill’s passage, saying he would not support including a federal $15 minimum wage either.

Sinema, the first Democrat to win a Senate seat in Arizona in 30 years, is also reluctant to approve legislation with a simple majority of senators through the budget reconciliation process, rather than clearing the normal legislative hurdle.

“I want to restore the 60-vote threshold for all elements of the Senate’s work,” she said.

The Senate parliamentarian is supposed to rule on whether the M-Wage increase can be included in a reconciliation bill, but has yet to do so. Doesn't sound like it would pass anyway though. And it doesn't sound like she or Manchin will support efforts to circumvent the 60-vote filibuster either, and that was my main worry. If I'm not mistaken, the Senate can only push through one reconciliation bill per year, according to their rules. So most of that weird Far Left Green New Deal crap isn't going to happen, unless Biden get creative with his EOs. Which I'm sure the Repubs will challenge in court, same as the Dems did for Trump's EOs. Good on her and Manchin, but they're going to face a lot of heat for not giving the Far Left what they want.

Biden says he'll push for the $15 M-Wage in a separate bill, which I doubt will get though the Senate either.
We can only hope that more democrats will cross the aisle and disavow this communist lunacy.

The DemoKKKrats are desperate to drive low-wage, unskilled workers onto welfare.

Lets censure her! LOL

While I disagree with her on this....it I think some senatorial independence is a good thing. Republicans should embrace it as well.

Lets censure her! LOL

While I disagree with her on this....it I think some senatorial independence is a good thing. Republicans should embrace it as well.

The democratic party has discussed censuring her because she crosses the isle to much.

And she is completely right in her statement that it has nothing to do with the objectives of the bill.

I applaud her.

It's to bad Manchin can't see that he should be doing the same thing.

AZ is a right to work state anyways.

Lets censure her! LOL

The democratic party has discussed censuring her because she crosses the isle to much.

And she is completely right in her statement that it has nothing to do with the objectives of the bill.

I applaud her.

Which island is she crossing?

The DemoKKKrats are desperate to drive low-wage, unskilled workers onto welfare.

And also the unemployed workers and illegal immigrants. If you are dependent on the gov't, then you will most likely vote for the democratic party that promises you the most welfare. So, the $15 M-Wage is win-win for them, they get the people that got a higher wage to vote for them and they also get the guys who lost their jobs and need more gov't support.

Lets censure her! LOL

I applaud her.

They have? News to me.

The Democrats are holding your relief hostage until they get what they want. They don't give a shit that your family ran out of food yesterday...

At least the Democrats are providing relief. That's more than Republicans have done for you throughout the pandemic.
"trump and the repubs drove up the debt with covid relief"
a month later "republicans didnt do anything for covid!"
:lol:

I've been pleasantly surprised by Sinema lately, as a voter in Arizona. When she was elected, she turned up at the Capitol wearing an embarrassingly ridiculous costume, and then apparently vanished as though Arizona had no Senator whatsoever. Just lately, though, she's popped back up with some very reasonable (for a Democrat) positions. Mind you, I still wouldn't vote for her if you held a gun to my head, because I still don't agree with her on much of anything, but at least I don't feel like I'm being represented by a minion of an evil overlord . . . usually.

We can only hope that more democrats will cross the aisle and disavow this communist lunacy.

Only Democrats in precarious seats, like Sinema, would ever even consider it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Sinema lately, as a voter in Arizona. When she was elected, she turned up at the Capitol wearing an embarrassingly ridiculous costume, and then apparently vanished as though Arizona had no Senator whatsoever. Just lately, though, she's popped back up with some very reasonable (for a Democrat) positions. Mind you, I still wouldn't vote for her if you held a gun to my head, because I still don't agree with her on much of anything, but at least I don't feel like I'm being represented by a minion of an evil overlord . . . usually.

The party is already trying to get rid of her. If she wasn't a lesbian, she'd have already been gone.

Lets censure her! LOL

Actually, I think it's completely appropriate for a state party to censure a Senator or Representative for acting against the wishes of the majority of their own voters. Elected officials have a fine line to walk between being independent enough to be principled and a leader, and using the office to further their personal agenda without reference to their constituents. If a majority of Democrats in Arizona WANT a $15/hour minimum wage, then I think the Arizona Democrat Party would be correct in censuring her. But I'm betting that the reason Sinema was willing to go public with this position is because she knows there ISN'T a majority of Arizona Democrats fervently supporting the idea.

Lets censure her! LOL

I applaud her.

I think the party is ignorant and shortsighted on that subject. Sinema has shitty fashion sense, but I don't think she's a complete idiot. She's crossing the aisle and taking the public stands she is because she's trying to navigate her way to re-election in a state that's very far from being a secure Democrat stronghold (at least, at the moment). If she comes off as a crazed left-wing radical, Arizona will have her replaced with a Republican - virtually ANY Republican - in a heartbeat, and she knows it.

The feds should get out of the minimum wage business. Too many regional differences in housing and other cost of living.

Forum List

Back