Awesome homemade mac & cheese

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I made some INCREDIBLE macaroni and cheese last night.

Mac & Cheese

1 sm package elbow macaroni
1/8 c flour (I didn't measure it. Enough to make a nice paste or roux with the butter)
1/2 cube butter
1 pint heavy cream
3/4 c milk
2 cups of grated Cheddar cheese (or about 1/2 block of cheese, grated)
Salt
Pepper
5 slices of bread, buttered on both sides and chopped up

Cook macaroni in salted water, set aside in colander to drain.
In large saucepan, melt butter (I use med-med-high heat, but if you worry about burning it, turn it down and take a little longer). When it's completely melted, add flour, a little at a time, and sitr briskly to create a nice roux. When it's smooth, stir in whipping cream and milk.

Stir constantly and briskly until it thickens and is very hot (not boiling, don't want to boil it). Add cheese while stirring (I had my 7 year old daughter add the cheese while I stirred). Use all the cheese. Salt and pepper. Be liberal with the pepper. You can add cayenne if you like, or paprika for color, because it won't be a bright color. I know somebody who adds grated carrots for color!

Put the macaroni into a big bowl (or back into the pan you cooked it in) and add the sauce. Mix it up, put into large casserole (I use a big square corningware). Put the chopped up buttered bread on the top, cook at 400 for about 20 minutes, until bubbly and the top is crunchy.

YUMMMMMMMMMMY!

That does sound good.
Looking at the recipe...it seems it needs some depth added to it...maybe a dash of dry mustard...or BACON...something to break up the palette.
The heavy cream and roux...yeah...can't go wrong there!!

That sounds fantastic! Mac & Cheese should definitely be baked in the over to achieve the proper crust on top!

I think I'll make that this week with a side of sliced tomatoes. (We have a bunch I need to use this week.)

• Banned
Mmmmm..tomatoes...

Homemade uncooked salsa:

Chopped ripe tomatoes (you can skin them if you like)
1 sm can of green chiles
1 bunch chopped cilantro; strip leaves off stems before chopping
Garlic powder
Fresh garlic
Tobasco sauce
Tomato sauce
Salt
Pepper
Lime
Chopped green onions (I use a whole bunch, tops & bottoms)

Chop up all the veggies and cilantro, throw into a (non-metal) bowl with chiles
Pour some tomato sauce in, stir
Salt, pepper, tobasco to taste
Lime juice (or lemon) to taste
Lots of garlic powder
Minced garlic (a clove to a whole head)

Serve with tortilla chips

My son loves this stuff. You can pretty much put anything you like in it, it's going to be good. And it keeps for a long time.

That sounds fantastic! Mac & Cheese should definitely be baked in the over to achieve the proper crust on top!

I think I'll make that this week with a side of sliced tomatoes. (We have a bunch I need to use this week.)

Garden tomatoes make AWESOME Bruchetta...

These particular tomatoes are the best I've ever bought. There's some local farmer that does dry farming- they actually taste like they are fresh out of one's own garden. They're available for a few weeks in later summer - so I buy a bunch and we have them every day while they last.

I bought some fresh mozzarella and basil for salads this week as well. I could live on that!

That does sound good.
Looking at the recipe...it seems it needs some depth added to it...maybe a dash of dry mustard...or BACON...something to break up the palette.
The heavy cream and roux...yeah...can't go wrong there!!

I always add bacon.... and often either American or Dijon Mustard. Yummm

These particular tomatoes are the best I've ever bought. There's some local farmer that does dry farming- they actually taste like they are fresh out of one's own garden. They're available for a few weeks in later summer - so I buy a bunch and we have them every day while they last.

I bought some fresh mozzarella and basil for salads this week as well. I could live on that!

Now your talkin'!
You have the fine beginning to a great pannini!
Add some garlic, olive oil and homemade basil pesto...mmmm.

Together with a creamy soup like butternut squash bisque...excellent!

Good idea - I have a great recipe for a squash soup (butter nut and acorn). Haven't made it in a while...

Get some homegrown Tomatoes, let them mature till they are red as possible, cut them in half.

Once you have the 2 slices, pour some Olive Oil (Spanish Olive Oil is preferred for best taste) just a tad, not too much where it drains, then add some sea salt on both slices, and Voila.

It's easy to make, and they are delicious.. I used to have them all the time when I was younger during the summer in Spain.

On the subject of Food...
Winter is coming...that sucks...but on the bright side winter is coming...time for soup!
I haven't made chili in months.

Forum List

Back