Automotive Question - Engine Sound

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Back in "the Day," all cars were characterized by the unique sound that their engines made. I could tell without looking whether a car coming up the street was a Chevy, a Ford, or a Mopar. Oldsmobile V8's had a distinctive sound, as did the 289 Mustang.

The four-cylinder sports cars from Europe also produced pleasing sounds, whether it was a TR4, an Austin Healy, or even a Fiat 124 Spider. (Won't mention the VW bug).

Oddly, the Japanese have never made cars (or motorcycles) that seemed to pay any attention whatsoever to their sound. Most of their cars sound like sewing machines, even now.

But the age of the catalytic converter changed all that. Very few cars now have a pleasing sound, and one is forced to go into the aftermarket to get something to accomplish that goal.

Obviously, if a car is equipped with a catalytic converter from the factory, it can't be removed without increasing one's Carbon Footprint and probably violating a few laws as well. Here in PA, you simply won't pass inspection with the Cat removed. In my county, the state inspection includes a full computerized emissions check.

I have (among other things) a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser with the H.O. 230HP turbo. If you listen closely, it sounds like the engine could have a pleasing sound if the exhaust system were modified to allow it.

I checked on the Magnaflow website, and they sell a kit for my car called, a "Cat-back" exhaust, which I'm inferring means this is a set of pipes and mufflers that go from the Catalytic Converter back to the outlet. My questions are:

(1) Is that what a "cat-back" system is?

(2) Can I assume that this is something I could install myself (possibly requiring a cutting torch)?

(3) Would anything have to be done to the car's computer settings, to adapt to the lower back pressure?

(4) Would performance be affected?

(5) What other companies make similar products, and how can a consumer compare them? The objective is to get something that sounds good.

It's tough to make a turbo engine sound like much...the turbo actually acts as a muffler (as does the cat). IIRC, the PT Cruiser turbo actually has no muffler, just a resonator. My wife's Grand National is straightpiped (turbo, catalytic converter, then Y-pipe & tailpipes) and it's still quiet. Even at full power, all you can really hear is the spooling turbo.

To answer your questions:
1: Yes, pretty much.
2: Maybe...the old setup will certainly have to be cut to remove it. SOME cat-backs need to be welded to install. Also, some need the vehicle raised fairly high to get the system in, which basically requires a lift. (Flowmaster's system on a 5.0 Mustang comes to mind.)
3: It shouldn't be needed...but make sure the system has a spot for the oxygen sensor AFTER the catalyst! (It should...but check before installing.)
4: Will help, at least a bit.
5: Borla, Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Gibson, and Walker-Dynomax come to mind. I would start by checking Rock Auto and Summit Racing. (I got the cat-back for my Cherokee from Summit. Note: if you need exhaust repair, a cat-back is often CHEAPER than a stock system.

This is timely, because I'm planning redoing the exhaust on my Dakota...mostly because the stock exhaust is dreadful.

Last edited:
Back in "the Day," all cars were characterized by the unique sound that their engines made. I could tell without looking whether a car coming up the street was a Chevy, a Ford, or a Mopar. Oldsmobile V8's had a distinctive sound, as did the 289 Mustang.

The four-cylinder sports cars from Europe also produced pleasing sounds, whether it was a TR4, an Austin Healy, or even a Fiat 124 Spider. (Won't mention the VW bug).

Oddly, the Japanese have never made cars (or motorcycles) that seemed to pay any attention whatsoever to their sound. Most of their cars sound like sewing machines, even now.

But the age of the catalytic converter changed all that. Very few cars now have a pleasing sound, and one is forced to go into the aftermarket to get something to accomplish that goal.

Obviously, if a car is equipped with a catalytic converter from the factory, it can't be removed without increasing one's Carbon Footprint and probably violating a few laws as well. Here in PA, you simply won't pass inspection with the Cat removed. In my county, the state inspection includes a full computerized emissions check.

I have (among other things) a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser with the H.O. 230HP turbo. If you listen closely, it sounds like the engine could have a pleasing sound if the exhaust system were modified to allow it.

I checked on the Magnaflow website, and they sell a kit for my car called, a "Cat-back" exhaust, which I'm inferring means this is a set of pipes and mufflers that go from the Catalytic Converter back to the outlet. My questions are:

(1) Is that what a "cat-back" system is?

(2) Can I assume that this is something I could install myself (possibly requiring a cutting torch)?

(3) Would anything have to be done to the car's computer settings, to adapt to the lower back pressure?

(4) Would performance be affected?

(5) What other companies make similar products, and how can a consumer compare them? The objective is to get something that sounds good.

I was sorely tempted to make a snide comment, but then I backed off...

good luck with your PT exhaust issue...

'n mebbe find yourself a better ride in the near future...

meh... oops... sorry 'bout that comment... :)

There are very few of these things around, especially with the Getrag 5-speed. When I bought mine, there were exactly 2 of them available on either AutoTrader or Cars-dot-com. I chose to buy mine from a Chrysler dealer in Michigan, so I could purchase a Chrysler extended warranty.

Since I bought mine a little over a year ago, I've seen one other H.O. Turbo and it was an automatic.

Forum List

Back