Auto tariffs could cost Canada 160,000 jobs, TD estimates

Thinking that something catastrophic for Canada could be good for America lacks vision.

Why do you not demand fair trade from your own country?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

LOL what?

The dairy industry in this country get up to 70% of its revenue from government subsidies and then you people whine like 3 year olds that Canada has tariffs on our dairy products.

None of you ever give a shit about the industries that we subsidize the shit out of

What part of Trump's re-negotiated FAIR TRADE don't you understand? Do you know what a negotiation is?

Find me where anyone is talking about giving up our Ag subsidies

The fact is Trump is forcing these other countries back to the table to negotiate fair trade deals, there will be give and take on both sides. So basically you have no argument whatsoever.
Or, it could be put that other signatories of treaties the U.S. has made are being bullied back to re-negotiations supposedly more favorable to the bully.
Re-negotiating after the fact is reneging. That is not the way one man deals with another as equals, nor is it how countries who are equals conduct affairs.
When it is clear that someone doesn't treat us as an equal, we find others to deal with.
Chasing away our allies is imprudent and costly, on many levels.

Canada has a choice, fair trade or tariffs.
Actually, the choice is even more simple and basic than that.

They wish to ship $600b worth of good into the US, they MUST accept $600b of goods from us.

What none of you seem to grasp is that it is not about what they want to send us, it is about what we the people want to buy.

They do not send us anything, we the individual consumer buys things from them.

We have 290 million more people than Canada, their consumers will never buy as much as ours do.

They wish to ship $600b worth of good into the US, they MUST accept $600b of goods from us.

What none of you seem to grasp is that it is not about what they want to send us, it is about what we the people want to buy.

We have 290 million more people than Canada, their consumers will never buy as much as ours do.

^^^^

Justifies screwing American over.

Thinking that something catastrophic for Canada could be good for America lacks vision.

That's Canada's problem....they drop their tariffs, we drop ours. Any country that sells milk in a BAG has deeper issues than trying to compete with American dairymen by tripling the price of US milk. Trudy is a punk in way over his head...maybe he should give Quebec back to France and move to Tahiti.

LOL what?

The dairy industry in this country get up to 70% of its revenue from government subsidies and then you people whine like 3 year olds that Canada has tariffs on our dairy products.

None of you ever give a shit about the industries that we subsidize the shit out of

What part of Trump's re-negotiated FAIR TRADE don't you understand? Do you know what a negotiation is?

Find me where anyone is talking about giving up our Ag subsidies

The fact is Trump is forcing these other countries back to the table to negotiate fair trade deals, there will be give and take on both sides. So basically you have no argument whatsoever.
Or, it could be put that other signatories of treaties the U.S. has made are being bullied back to re-negotiations supposedly more favorable to the bully.
Re-negotiating after the fact is reneging. That is not the way one man deals with another as equals, nor is it how countries who are equals conduct affairs.
When it is clear that someone doesn't treat us as an equal, we find others to deal with.
Chasing away our allies is imprudent and costly, on many levels.

How does getting royally screwed in these trade deals make us a bully? :eusa_hand:

^^^^

Justifies screwing American over.

It says a lot about you that American citizens having the freedom of choice to buy what they want is being screwed over in your view

That's Canada's problem....they drop their tariffs, we drop ours. Any country that sells milk in a BAG has deeper issues than trying to compete with American dairymen by tripling the price of US milk. Trudy is a punk in way over his head...maybe he should give Quebec back to France and move to Tahiti.

They triple the price of our milk and our dairy industry gets 70% of their revenue from government subsidies.

Seems fair to me

The demand will not be the same as the cost will be higher, driving down demand and the need for additional employees.

More likely it will just be a net loss of jobs which helps neither country, but will make you all gleeful.

Do you ever get off the Party line?

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

Do you ever get tired of sniffing Trump’s ass?

was nafta free trade?

The demand will not be the same as the cost will be higher, driving down demand and the need for additional employees.

More likely it will just be a net loss of jobs which helps neither country, but will make you all gleeful.

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

was nafta free trade?
There were a lot more and higher tariffs before nafta.

was nafta free trade?
There were a lot more and higher tariffs before nafta.
isn't what I asked. it was a yes or no question. and you couldn't even get that answer right.

Remember I stated 250k lost jobs a few months back if Trump got rid of NAFTA or car tariffs? This is what the "experts" at Canada predict. I am going on a limb and sticking to my estimations as this will go beyond just auto in regards to how companies will interpret this. It would start a rush of jobs back to America. The alt-left know this by the way and they are working overtime to try and derail Trump on behalf of their global masters.

By simply hitting Canada with a 25% tariff on cars, you will see a rush of high paying jobs back to the U.S. Guaranteed.

Auto tariffs would kill 1 out of every 5 manufacturing jobs in Ontario, TD says | CBC News

Donald Trump's threat to slap tariffs on Canadian cars and car parts could cost the country up to 160,000 jobs, especially if Canada retaliates, TD Bank warns.

In a report Monday, senior economist Brian DePratto crunched some numbers on the economic impact of a 10 per cent tariff on car parts, and a stiffer 25 per cent levy on fully assembled vehicles.

Those numbers aren't just pulled from thin air. They're the exact tariff levels the Trump administration recently implemented on aluminum and steel, and DePratto assumes a similar breakdown is a decent base-case scenario to work from, with 10 per cent on car parts, and 25 per cent on more high-value fully assembled vehicles.

His analysis also assumes that Canada would respond with some sort of tariff on U.S. cars and car parts, just as it did with metals.

Technically, nothing is written in stone and the earliest we'd likely see any vehicle tariffs would be August. But the wheels are certainly in motion for another front to soon open in the unexpected trade war between Canada and the United States. The first warning shots were fired in May when the Commerce Department began an investigation into the auto sector along national security grounds — the same justification that was made in slapping tariffs on steel, aluminum and other products.

Still trying to figure out why those darn Canadians are just so much better at making auto's than the Americans that we have protect the American companies.....

we need RECIPROCAL trade. that's my favorite word.

remember the word reciprocal. remember the word reciprocal.

we need RECIPROCAL trade. that's my favorite word.

remember the word reciprocal. remember the word reciprocal.

The funny part is that the auto manufacturing industry between Canada and the United States is not only reciprocal it is completely intermingled- auto parts are manufactured in one country and sent across the border to be put in another part and then sent back again to be put in a car.

This tariffs could really hurt the American auto industry.

You aren't a libertarian, so what difference does it make what they believe?

Remember I stated 250k lost jobs a few months back if Trump got rid of NAFTA or car tariffs? This is what the "experts" at Canada predict. I am going on a limb and sticking to my estimations as this will go beyond just auto in regards to how companies will interpret this. It would start a rush of jobs back to America. The alt-left know this by the way and they are working overtime to try and derail Trump on behalf of their global masters.

By simply hitting Canada with a 25% tariff on cars, you will see a rush of high paying jobs back to the U.S. Guaranteed.

Auto tariffs would kill 1 out of every 5 manufacturing jobs in Ontario, TD says | CBC News

Donald Trump's threat to slap tariffs on Canadian cars and car parts could cost the country up to 160,000 jobs, especially if Canada retaliates, TD Bank warns.

In a report Monday, senior economist Brian DePratto crunched some numbers on the economic impact of a 10 per cent tariff on car parts, and a stiffer 25 per cent levy on fully assembled vehicles.

Those numbers aren't just pulled from thin air. They're the exact tariff levels the Trump administration recently implemented on aluminum and steel, and DePratto assumes a similar breakdown is a decent base-case scenario to work from, with 10 per cent on car parts, and 25 per cent on more high-value fully assembled vehicles.

His analysis also assumes that Canada would respond with some sort of tariff on U.S. cars and car parts, just as it did with metals.

Technically, nothing is written in stone and the earliest we'd likely see any vehicle tariffs would be August. But the wheels are certainly in motion for another front to soon open in the unexpected trade war between Canada and the United States. The first warning shots were fired in May when the Commerce Department began an investigation into the auto sector along national security grounds — the same justification that was made in slapping tariffs on steel, aluminum and other products.

Canada losing the jobs does not mean the US will gain them.

They will get many if not most of them. Companies want to avoid tariffs and the U.S economy is growing, especially for the Middle Class, so the market for consumption in the US will only grow.
And what US jobs will be lost when Canada puts tariffs on us? So stupid....

Tariffs have never created a single job in this country but they're great for job loss's. Everyone lose's jobs. There are no winners, all countries are clobbered in a trade war. The offended country, (Canada our second largest buyer of American products) will make certain the pain comes back by tariffing American products. This will skyrocket prices to American * Candian consumers, consumers cut back on their spending, and the job loss's start thereafter, including in auto manufacturing. It's really not rocket science.

unnamed

We already have plenty of experience with tariffs.

GettyImages-615297946-E.jpeg

The Great Depression Lesson About ‘Trade Wars’

Last edited:
One can argue free, fair or reciprocal trade, right now all imports are going up in $$$ due to tariffs.

Many goods are simply not ,nor look like they will be manufactured in America due to the fact that they are made elsewhere, like a subaru muffler

Debating supply side ecomonics juxtaposed to tariffs convienietly leaves out such details

~S~

Forum List

Back