Auto tariffs could cost Canada 160,000 jobs, TD estimates

The demand will not be the same as the cost will be higher, driving down demand and the need for additional employees.

More likely it will just be a net loss of jobs which helps neither country, but will make you all gleeful.

Do you ever get off the Party line?

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

Do you ever get tired of sniffing Trump’s ass?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
You aren't a libertarian, so what difference does it make what they believe?

Ahhh....you are so cute! Have I not been giving you enough attention that you had to come into this thread and make this one post just for me!
:11_2_1043:

The demand will not be the same as the cost will be higher, driving down demand and the need for additional employees.

More likely it will just be a net loss of jobs which helps neither country, but will make you all gleeful.

The Libertarian line is that free trade is good and government control is bad...and no, I never get off those two points.

Ahhh....you are so cute! Have I not been giving you enough attention that you had to come into this thread and make this one post just for me!
I always delight in pointing out the fact that you're a total fraud.

And I am delighted to know that I have gotten into your head so much that you now follow me around from thread to thread to make these sorts of post about me....I know own you! :19::19:

And I am delighted to know that I have gotten into your head so much that you now follow me around from thread to thread to make these sorts of post about me....I know own you! :19::19:
I don't follow you around, turd, but occasionally a come across your idiocies, and some of them are so preposterous that I can't help commenting on them.

I don't follow you around, turd, but occasionally a come across your idiocies, and some of them are so preposterous that I can't help commenting on them.

Oh now, do not be shy. A 7 page thead and your only post are about me! I feel so honored! You are just butthurt because on every issue I am further right than you and you have not been able to find a single issue I am a "leftie" on.

Oh now, do not be shy. A 7 page thead and your only post are about me! I feel so honored! You are just butthurt because on every issue I am further right than you and you have not been able to find a single issue I am a "leftie" on.
You're further right than me on government regulations? Immigration? On what issue are you further right?

Free trade is good, but it's not free trade unless both sides play...which has not been happening.

Oh bull shit. Nobody is crying about the 20 billion a year in Ag subsidies we use to make things “unfair”.

Free trade is agreements that are mutually beneficial to both sides...our current economy would indicate they have been beneficial to us

Canada
then remove the ag subsidies. the point of free trade is to reduce barriers....we need to make shit here...not in china.

You know the US is one of the highest Agri Subsidiser in the world... It gives out $20bn a year to farmers...

By the way countries all do this and for a sensible reason... It is a security issue to have your own source of food...

Canada doesn't as much subsidize but price control the out come so Farmers can feel secure of the price paid to them after there investment. US Farmers would love this and have actually asked for this to be done in US.

The Canadian system breaks the feast and famine part of the business. US Dairy industry is desperately trying to dump its Milk anywhere in the world due to an over supply at the moment. If Canada didn't defend themselves they would wipe out the Canadian Farmer by selling there milk below cost into the Canadian market.
When China did this in Steel in the US and it was wrong at the time.
Fact Check: is China dumping steel?
And look EU basically told them to goto hell.

And Obama did the same:
U.S. Imposes 266% Duty on Some Chinese Steel Imports

So Canada wrong to protect it's industry but US must be then wrong to defend Steel Industry?

Remember I stated 250k lost jobs a few months back if Trump got rid of NAFTA or car tariffs? This is what the "experts" at Canada predict. I am going on a limb and sticking to my estimations as this will go beyond just auto in regards to how companies will interpret this. It would start a rush of jobs back to America. The alt-left know this by the way and they are working overtime to try and derail Trump on behalf of their global masters.

By simply hitting Canada with a 25% tariff on cars, you will see a rush of high paying jobs back to the U.S. Guaranteed.

Auto tariffs would kill 1 out of every 5 manufacturing jobs in Ontario, TD says | CBC News

Donald Trump's threat to slap tariffs on Canadian cars and car parts could cost the country up to 160,000 jobs, especially if Canada retaliates, TD Bank warns.

In a report Monday, senior economist Brian DePratto crunched some numbers on the economic impact of a 10 per cent tariff on car parts, and a stiffer 25 per cent levy on fully assembled vehicles.

Those numbers aren't just pulled from thin air. They're the exact tariff levels the Trump administration recently implemented on aluminum and steel, and DePratto assumes a similar breakdown is a decent base-case scenario to work from, with 10 per cent on car parts, and 25 per cent on more high-value fully assembled vehicles.

His analysis also assumes that Canada would respond with some sort of tariff on U.S. cars and car parts, just as it did with metals.

Technically, nothing is written in stone and the earliest we'd likely see any vehicle tariffs would be August. But the wheels are certainly in motion for another front to soon open in the unexpected trade war between Canada and the United States. The first warning shots were fired in May when the Commerce Department began an investigation into the auto sector along national security grounds — the same justification that was made in slapping tariffs on steel, aluminum and other products.
/——/ How will Canadians afford their Tim Horton donuts and coffee, eh?
9B4163B9-956D-4A7B-8CB3-100028FCF810.jpeg

That graph should say it all, I don't know about the EU but there is no way in hell Canada produces that much steel in Canada. I guarantee it. We are a nation of 35M people and we export as much as 500M in the EU? There were guys a few months ago complaining online about the closing of multiple smelters in Canada.

You are getting fleeced America, we are shipping you cheap Chinese steel and aluminum in many cases, we are nothing but the Middle Man taking our commission. NAFTA allows this exploitation, along with any of the Chinese and Russian companies who operate in Canada to gain influence in America.

Since Canada loves to go after me, I will continue to preach the truth. Do your homework, America is the punching bag for Canada and we do a great PR job, with help from the Brits.

Last edited:
So every import is taxed, and every export is met with a retalitory tax

and everything costs more

can someone 'splain to me how this is a good thing?

~S~

Remember I stated 250k lost jobs a few months back if Trump got rid of NAFTA or car tariffs? This is what the "experts" at Canada predict. I am going on a limb and sticking to my estimations as this will go beyond just auto in regards to how companies will interpret this. It would start a rush of jobs back to America. The alt-left know this by the way and they are working overtime to try and derail Trump on behalf of their global masters.

By simply hitting Canada with a 25% tariff on cars, you will see a rush of high paying jobs back to the U.S. Guaranteed.

Auto tariffs would kill 1 out of every 5 manufacturing jobs in Ontario, TD says | CBC News

Donald Trump's threat to slap tariffs on Canadian cars and car parts could cost the country up to 160,000 jobs, especially if Canada retaliates, TD Bank warns.

In a report Monday, senior economist Brian DePratto crunched some numbers on the economic impact of a 10 per cent tariff on car parts, and a stiffer 25 per cent levy on fully assembled vehicles.

Those numbers aren't just pulled from thin air. They're the exact tariff levels the Trump administration recently implemented on aluminum and steel, and DePratto assumes a similar breakdown is a decent base-case scenario to work from, with 10 per cent on car parts, and 25 per cent on more high-value fully assembled vehicles.

His analysis also assumes that Canada would respond with some sort of tariff on U.S. cars and car parts, just as it did with metals.

Technically, nothing is written in stone and the earliest we'd likely see any vehicle tariffs would be August. But the wheels are certainly in motion for another front to soon open in the unexpected trade war between Canada and the United States. The first warning shots were fired in May when the Commerce Department began an investigation into the auto sector along national security grounds — the same justification that was made in slapping tariffs on steel, aluminum and other products.
I don't understand your passion for the US at the expense of your homeland.
You should try fixing your nations problems and stop worrying about ours. You know, be a patriot for your nation.

So every import is taxed, and every export is met with a retalitory tax

and everything costs more

can someone 'splain to me how this is a good thing?

~S~

What gets me is that so many people think we do not already have tariffs when in reality we have a 3700 page list of them

I don't understand your passion for the US at the expense of your homeland.
You should try fixing your nations problems and stop worrying about ours. You know, be a patriot for your nation.

I'm a Patriot for liberty and truth. I was created by God and my mother, Canada didn't bear me. They had my loyalty, I was willing to die for my country. Those days are over, it was their choice.

I will continue to expose the Canadian security apparatus for what they are, a full of shyte threat to our allies. I've reached out to major players in the EU also.

As it were, the world is figuring us out, we literally have had a 50% decrease in foreign business investment. Our job market is in shambles and won't improve anytime soon.

Tariffs are taxes on consumers and kill net jobs. Econ 101

Tariffs are taxes on consumers and kill net jobs. Econ 101

That's why China, Canada, the EU and other countries use it against America with glee?

You have to fight fire with fire. If there are no consequences for their companies and politicians, than American jobs will continue to be lost, your Middle Class further decimated.

Canada losing the jobs does not mean the US will gain them.

Don't you need to tell him the trade deficits are good? Or at least not bad?

Or that those people, since they are not stupid and lazy Americans will just retrain for the better high tech jobs of the future?

Forum List

Back