Australia Day

We have just begun to fight!!!!!

Greg
Indeed.
The politicians and the People got a big shock when China kicked us to kerb and Europe in particular seemed to decide *everything* "climate change" is Australia's fault.
The pandemic has demonstrated clearly the folly of importing *everything*.
Anyone who was sleepwalking thru life was rudely awakened to the folly of spending every dollar earned and not having savings.
Of not owning a car, van, caravan, shack etc to live in when/if income ceases or is greatly reduced.

Last edited:
They leave out the best verse!!!!

"
When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!""

As a song it isn't what I would call worth listening to. How it got to be our NA I am quite well aware, but frankly it was a hit job by some lefty wankers in the labor Party.

Greg
Britannia no longer rules the wave, or anything else much.
1901 saw Australia, the self-governing nation born...no longer a British colony.

Last edited:
Britannia no longer rules the wave, or anything else much.
1901 saw Australia, the self-governing nation born...no longer a British colony.
Yeah maybe, but I lived there for a while. It's a fantastic place with a wonderful History. I remember when they joined the Common Market and really stuffed us up BUT we overcame the setback. We have shown that we can do so again. As for the Euros and their DUMB Climate Change policies; only Labor could follow such stupidity!!!

But your knowledge of History seems a tad incomplete. We are a Constitutional Monarchy through Historical Circumstance; we are a Nation based on Common Law and to that we owe the Old dart!! We have seen the stupidity of NOT having a fair Justice System: the frothing of the Left for cardinal Pell's incarceration, the use of making the actions of Government that were illegal at the time Legal with Retrospective Legislation (in the Clive Palmer V WA Gov case: a travesty of Law!!!), the eroding of Rights due to Pandemic rules that were never based "in da Science"!!! And yes, when there was a Constitutional Crisis (ie, a Lefty Gov refusing to go to the People at which I might add the People Spoke loud and clear!!!) our system showed it true worth and it was damned good!!!

BTW: Australia was NEVER a British Colony!!! NSW, Vic, SA, Qld, Tassie and "the Territories" were, and the Federation of our Nation in 1901 was a wonderful gift from the UK to us!! It showed that the Poms had the right intentions imo.

Greg

Yeah maybe, but I lived there for a while. It's a fantastic place with a wonderful History. I remember when they joined the Common Market and really stuffed us up BUT we overcame the setback. We have shown that we can do so again. As for the Euros and their DUMB Climate Change policies; only Labor could follow such stupidity!!!

But your knowledge of History seems a tad incomplete. We are a Constitutional Monarchy through Historical Circumstance; we are a Nation based on Common Law and to that we owe the Old dart!! We have seen the stupidity of NOT having a fair Justice System: the frothing of the Left for cardinal Pell's incarceration, the use of making the actions of Government that were illegal at the time Legal with Retrospective Legislation (in the Clive Palmer V WA Gov case: a travesty of Law!!!), the eroding of Rights due to Pandemic rules that were never based "in da Science"!!! And yes, when there was a Constitutional Crisis (ie, a Lefty Gov refusing to go to the People at which I might add the People Spoke loud and clear!!!) our system showed it true worth and it was damned good!!!

BTW: Australia was NEVER a British Colony!!! NSW, Vic, SA, Qld, Tassie and "the Territories" were, and the Federation of our Nation in 1901 was a wonderful gift from the UK to us!! It showed that the Poms had the right intentions imo.

Greg
Not to forget what came with the Commonwealth.

We're good. But for how long? It's usual though; Labour thinks we're evil while we think they're mistaken. It's becoming worse a la the US. I don't want to see that happen!!!

Greg
This was the beginning of the end. Loyalty to the UN over the constitution.

[b[BTW: Australia was NEVER a British Colony!!! NSW, Vic, SA, Qld, Tassie and "the Territories" were,[/b] and the Federation of our Nation in 1901 was a wonderful gift from the UK to us!! It showed that the Poms had the right intentions imo.

Greg
Basically all the land with the people on it.
Federation, we got ourselves a Senate, a la America.

Common law in Britain was a joke...tried and sentenced to death in the Old Bailey for not doing much. people were.
So many hangings there was hardly enough rope.

The Federation conventions. Convinced the colonies would be stronger if they united, Sir Henry Parkes gave a rousing address at Tenterfield, New South Wales in 1889 calling for 'a great national government for all Australians'. Parkes's call provided the momentum that led to Australia becoming a nation.

Rumour has it that, among other things, Britain was spooked by the Eureka Stockade rebellion and didn't want another war on its hands.
The oath taken in 1854 in Ballarat Vic by the miners, the Eureka Southern Cross flag flying high.
'We swear by the Southern Cross, to stand truly by each other, and fight to defend our rights and liberties'.

Eureka Stockade'.

Starting in 1853, miners began to gather in ‘monster’ meetings to voice their complaints, and delegations presented their concerns to Governor La Trobe, but he was unreceptive to the requests.
Many of the diggers were politically engaged – some had participated in the Chartist movement for political reform in Britain during the 1830s and 1840s while others had been involved in the anti-authoritarian revolutions that spread across Europe in 1848.

/cont'd

Last edited:
Then, The Great Shearers' Strike of 1891 [getting close to Federation]

The Great Shearers' Strike

The Great Shearers' Strike of 1891 was a watershed in the history of working conditions in Australia and was a major catalyst in the growth of the Australian Labor Party.

#####

Me; Just a pity the Labor Party seems to have lost its way since then.

The Great Shearers' Strike​

In it’s history, Australia has only seen two armed insurrections between white settlers and government backed forces – the Eureka revolt of 1854 and the Queensland Shearers’ strike of 1891.

In May 1991 – it has been alleged that at least 3000 striking shearers marched under the Eureka Flag to put forward their protests against poor working conditions and low wages beneath the boughs of the Tree of Knowledge at Barcaldine.

We’ll make the tyrants feel the sting
Of those that they would throttle;
They needn’t say the fault is ours
If blood should stain the wattle.

Henry Lawson, Free on the Wallaby, May 1891

We're good. But for how long? It's usual though; Labour thinks we're evil while we think they're mistaken. It's becoming worse a la the US. I don't want to see that happen!!!

Greg
Yeah, it seems that Australia will soon become a 'minority-majority' nation, if that is what you meant.

Forum List

Back