Austin, like California, is not affordable.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
  • He says there are negatives like pricey utilities, oppressive heat, and a lack of public space.
  • Alder also says that Austinites are rude.
  • Taxes: We all know property taxes are high in Texas. They actually weren't that bad for us and ranged from 2% to 3% depending on the neighborhood. We bought a home at 2.1% and, with the homestead exception, were paying at 1.79% (vs. 1.25% in California). Don't buy at 3%; you won't be able to sell and your house won't appreciate.

• Power: Energy is incredibly expensive. You want a big house, and they're so cheap, but then it costs a fortune to heat and cool. We were paying $400 per month during the summer and winter and we were uncomfortable (our thermostat was set to 79 degrees F in the summer, and 65 degrees F in the winter). To be comfortable would have cost us $700 to $1,000 per month.

• Water: Water is also shockingly expensive. In NW Austin they pump water from Lake Travis, which is only a few miles away, but that doesn't stop greedy water collectives from shaking you down. We paid $89 per month just for the privilege of being connected to city water (using 0 gallons). And they just jacked that base rate to $97. We had a well for landscape watering, but otherwise our water bill for a young family, watering about 10,000 square feet of grass would have easily been $300 to $400 per month. New sod? Try $1,200 per month, for water. Our water in San Diego (and now San Jose) was cheaper, during a drought, and we got it from like two states away.

• Services: We thought living in Texas, stuff would be cheap, but with so many people moving to Austin, the service industry is in red hot demand. Expensive pool maintenance, expensive landscaping services, expensive home repairs, expensive dining and movies.

• MSN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------They said move to Tx, you'll be glad you do. Not what I reading this article.

Last edited:
  • He says there are negatives like pricey utilities, oppressive heat, and a lack of public space.
  • Taxes: We all know property taxes are high in Texas. They actually weren't that bad for us and ranged from 2% to 3% depending on the neighborhood. We bought a home at 2.1% and, with the homestead exception, were paying at 1.79% (vs. 1.25% in California). Don't buy at 3%; you won't be able to sell and your house won't appreciate.

• Power: Energy is incredibly expensive. You want a big house, and they're so cheap, but then it costs a fortune to heat and cool. We were paying $400 per month during the summer and winter and we were uncomfortable (our thermostat was set to 79 degrees F in the summer, and 65 degrees F in the winter). To be comfortable would have cost us $700 to $1,000 per month.

• Water: Water is also shockingly expensive. In NW Austin they pump water from Lake Travis, which is only a few miles away, but that doesn't stop greedy water collectives from shaking you down. We paid $89 per month just for the privilege of being connected to city water (using 0 gallons). And they just jacked that base rate to $97. We had a well for landscape watering, but otherwise our water bill for a young family, watering about 10,000 square feet of grass would have easily been $300 to $400 per month. New sod? Try $1,200 per month, for water. Our water in San Diego (and now San Jose) was cheaper, during a drought, and we got it from like two states away.

• Services: We thought living in Texas, stuff would be cheap, but with so many people moving to Austin, the service industry is in red hot demand. Expensive pool maintenance, expensive landscaping services, expensive home repairs, expensive dining and movies.

• MSN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------They said move to Tx you'll be glad you do. Not what I reading this article.
it is expensive to live in any city. supply and demand. of course things are cheap out in the red counties, where no one wants to live.

it is expensive to live in any city. supply and demand. of course things are cheap out in the red counties, where no one wants to live.
I expect cities to be diverse in cultures. However, the politics should be of sense and moderate. And they are not. And they were not before the upgraded insanity since Obama.

• MSN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------They said move to Tx, you'll be glad you do. Not what I reading this article.

In short, this guy moved out of liberal CA to escape liberal policies and liberal $$$. Then he found out that Austin is full of liberals with their policies and $$$.

Oh gee. My response: :rolleyes: :auiqs.jpg: :rolleyes: :auiqs.jpg: :rolleyes: :auiqs.jpg:

please jeep your children there as well. they cause nothing but trouble in our cities.

That's not how it works. Have you never wondered why we folks out here in the sticks are so heavily armed?

Aside from coyotes and rabid animals, we also have to contend with city-dwellers who think they can come out here and help themselves to whatever they want. Try that in a small town and see what happens.

I expect cities to be diverse in cultures. However, the politics should be of sense and moderate. And they are not. And they were not before the upgraded insanity since Obama.

we are trying to recall a dumb ass mayor right now. these people act as the rules do not apply. the insanity stems from an inability to attract good people to the job. (either job, politics or police. )

I've been all over TX and the only thing I found of redeeming quality there was the surf fishing.

Liberals of Austin (TX natives) are unbearable.....Think of the most liberal person you know and toss in non-stop bragging with a TX twang.....Yeah, it's that bad. ;)

I've been all over TX and the only thing I found of redeeming quality there was the surf fishing.

Liberals of Austin (TX natives) are unbearable.....Think of the most liberal person you know and toss in non-stop bragging with a TX twang.....Yeah, it's that bad. ;)

Full-auto hog hunting from a Huey. Try that anywhere else. :laughing0301:

• MSN
Thanks to democrap scum.

16 of the Alamo defenders were from Virginia.

I'm just sayin'. :04:
Most all their heroes from back then were from Virginia.

OIP._GfmYJmsOIVOzANfNU0TxwHaFj

That's not how it works. Have you never wondered why we folks out here in the sticks are so heavily armed?

Aside from coyotes and rabid animals, we also have to contend with city-dwellers who think they can come out here and help themselves to whatever they want. Try that in a small town and see what happens.
There are folks in the country who steal, fight, kill, and do drugs....There are just fewer of them.

I like to live out here. I loathe the Shity of Autism and it's bed wetting parasite leftists. I can do anything I like on my land, it's quiet, and everyone is so well armed our meth heads go to Autism to steal shit.

Forum List

Back