Aunt Glada

UllysesS.Archer

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2014
It was last Saturday, that my dad called and told me that my great aunt Glada had died. I believe she was 89, but I might be mistaken.

Aunt Glada was the finest woman I ever knew, or probably will ever know. She was one of those special people, that you just couldn't be depressed around. She always had a smile, even in those last few months, when you knew she was in terrible pain, she always smiled through it.

She was the type of Christian that all Christians should aspire to be. Saved at age 14, she taught Sunday school from that point onward, she taught me most of what I know about Jesus and the Bible. She walked the walk, never once losing sight of the goal. She had the type of heart, I will never have, she had forgiveness and pure love, for everyone. She was able to not judge anyone, while teaching them that no matter how good they might be, they were no less a sinner than anyone else was.

She always said, "God knows the condition of a person's heart." She taught me that it was ok to question God, if it was done from wanting to understand things better, other than just questioning out of anger, or fear, or hatred.

She was much more than just a Christian. When I was young, My uncle Paul and her owned and operated the only general store in Mohawk, P & G Market, from hardware to seed, from feed to deli sandwiches, or just to gather around the wood burning stove and loafer, P & G was a great place. I was not around when Glada was a teacher in the school system, but after P&G closed, she went to work at Kiker's dept. store in Greeneville, and worked there until just a few years ago.

She made the best pinto bean pie known to mankind. When the Riley reunion would take place, you could find a half dozen of them on the food table, and there would be none left when the day was over.

At her funeral Tuesday evening, the Pastor called her 'a giant' and she was. She was a spiritual giant, and the backbone of our congregation. I cried Tuesday, not from grief, but from knowing that aunt Glada was being told, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." and I wondered if my heart is in the right place, so that when my time comes, I could hear the same thing.

I can only imagine, my uncle Paul, standing in line to meet aunt Glada, you might think he would be first in line, but he would have to be second. Aunt Glada would want to thank The Savior first, and I am sure, Jesus was at the head of that line.

I am going to miss her, her attitude and love are both irreplaceable in this world.

It rained here, for a week before she died, and the week after she died, it makes me wonder if God cries. If we are lucky, we will all know a person like Glada at least once in our life. I was luckier than most, I knew her for 44 years, and I will be seeing her again, of that, I have no doubts.

Forum List

Back