Attacks On The Second Amendment – What Is There To Fear?

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
By Tom Wise
Mar. 9, 2013

Most people own guns because they’re afraid. Before you jump, hear me out.

If you have a weapon for “defense,” you are afraid of an offense. Self-defense is the fear of an offense against oneself. Whether the fear is burglary, robbery, rape, assault, or murder, the gun defends. If one did not fear these offenses, one would not need to defend against them. The idea that one can struggle against offense without a gun is moot. Since guns exist, there is no reason to struggle against offense without one.

Self-defense can also be against widespread oppression and persecution. Every human being ought to fear groupthink. As an individual, I ought to fear slavish adoption of or to behavioral standards. For example, the idea that “community benefit” outweighs my own desires. I ought to fear the taking of my private property for the common good. I ought to fear communism. For another example, I ought to fear being singled out for being different. I ought to fear an angry crowd gathering at my doorstep. I ought to fear persecution for who I am. Finally, I ought to fear tyranny. I ought to fear the historical evidence against a powerful central government. I ought to fear the police state. I ought to fear fascism.

The gun is the greatest equalizer against all these fears.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Attacks On The Second Amendment - What Is There To Fear?

Every human being ought to fear groupthink. As an individual, I ought to fear slavish adoption of or to behavioral standards.

Does that mean the right ought to be fearful of themselves? Does that mean we should fear Republican members of Congress?

For example, the idea that “community benefit” outweighs my own desires.

That would only trouble those who think their own, private desires are the highest measure of good. The Bible has a word for that and it's not a good one: Pride.

I ought to fear the taking of my private property for the common good.

Fear? Nobody wants to lose their private property for things like roads, but to live in FEAR of it is ridiculous.

I ought to fear communism.

Why? Didn't Bush I and SecDef Dick Cheney tell us it was dead when they sold us on radically downsizing the military because of the so-called Peace Dividend?

For another example, I ought to fear being singled out for being different.

I ought to fear an angry crowd gathering at my doorstep. I ought to fear persecution for who I am.

Like homosexuals, transgendered, Muslim's?

Finally, I ought to fear tyranny. I ought to fear the historical evidence against a powerful central government. I ought to fear the police state. I ought to fear fascism.

Fear it? No, not unless you just want to raise your blood pressure. Be aware of it and ready to resist it? Yes. But, fear?

The gun is the greatest equalizer against all these fears.

The gun has also been called the great equalizer for cowards and, given the number of things this poor schmuck is afraid of, I'd say he fits that definition, wouldn't you?

No one attacks the 2nd Amendment more than state and federal courts and legislatures - including SCOTUS. Aim your wrath at them...

Human nature is imperfect.

The government is composed of human nature.

Therefore, the government is imperfect.

People have the right to bear arms to defend against this imperfection.

Forum List

Back