Attacked by Microsoft hijack

I have disabled the GWXUX that keeps popping up "psst" boxes off the tray, and I'm sure it's no accident those boxes are completely blank in the hopes you'll click something without being able to see what you're dong. In the past I have removed the KB3035583 update, only to have it reinstall itself. Now I can't re-uninstall KB3035583 --- I can see it sitting there but when I go to the list that actually lets you uninstall ---- it doesn't show up.

Bastids!
Download the GWX Control Panel.

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

Use the 'Download Standalone' link.

Why do you advise the standalone as opposed to the installer? I just downloaded the exe.
Generally installers are unnecessary third party software that often have other software piggybacked on them and or want to set themselves up as the primary installer, typically not a smart idea. Many also have ad popups attached so not the best of ideas there either.

I know what you mean, but after checking out other people's experiences and watching the install, I didn't see any of that going on. Saw no changes anywhere except that, and this may be subjective, the whole system seems to be smoother now.

This appears to be a white knight just doing what's right for the community. I searched for complaints, couldn't find any.

Plus, I want the tool to stay updated for when Microplop counters it and requires a counter-counter. Or as the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon would have put it, the anti-anti-missle-missle-missle.
It's just a cautionary warning I give people as most don't know what to look for or don't know what they are seeing.

Yes, and it's worthwhile advice in general. I just thought there may have been something specific to this tool. As there isn't, I won't worry about it.

You were also my guru for Glary Utilities in the past, which I continue to load the latest exe, and that's working well too. Some things try to sneak stuff in, some don't.

Now my AVG is constantly (lately) trying to muscle in on my search engine, so that gets a nix.

I have disabled the GWXUX that keeps popping up "psst" boxes off the tray, and I'm sure it's no accident those boxes are completely blank in the hopes you'll click something without being able to see what you're dong. In the past I have removed the KB3035583 update, only to have it reinstall itself. Now I can't re-uninstall KB3035583 --- I can see it sitting there but when I go to the list that actually lets you uninstall ---- it doesn't show up.

Bastids!

Bastids!

Why are you doing this on a work computer? Hire a better IT guy, that's their job.

They're my computers. I work for myself.

The YOU should hire a good IT guy so you can concentrate on business. It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business.

FYI: If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.

I'm not a "business owner" --- I'm a freelancer. I'm hired for the occasion. And in any case, while I have an IT guy down the road for when I need one, I don't figure I should need one for the goddam OS platform. That's an outrage.

But I was already incensed years ago when I saw "Welcome" popping up on the startup screen. Excuse me--- "welcome"?? I *PAID* for you, you don't "welcome" me! :death:

That speaks volumes about their irreparably patronizing attitude. That and their infantile "my computer" icons...

Bastids!

Bastids!

Why are you doing this on a work computer? Hire a better IT guy, that's their job.

The YOU should hire a good IT guy so you can concentrate on business. It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business.

FYI: If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.
Microsoft trained? That's where most of that propaganda comes from.

Focus! I wrote GOOD IT GUY.

Bastids!

Bastids!

I'm not a "business owner" --- I'm a freelancer. I'm hired for the occasion. And in any case, while I have an IT guy down the road for when I need one, I don't figure I should need one for the goddam OS platform. That's an outrage.

But I was already incensed years ago when I saw "Welcome" popping up on the startup screen. Excuse me--- "welcome"?? I *PAID* for you, you don't "welcome" me! :death:

That speaks volumes about their irreparably patronizing attitude. That and their infantile "my computer" icons...

You've cemented my 'It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business' post. You're a private contractor, ie; you own a business.

Bastids!

Bastids!

You've cemented my 'It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business' post. You're a private contractor, ie; you own a business.

No, actually I don't. I have skills and equipment, and I'm hired to use them. That simply makes me a freelancer as opposed to a statutory employee. Part of that deal (lately) is that I do the entire gig on my own, including booking my own travel and using my own equipment. That is taking on risk, sure, and that risk has to be addressed. But it's not "owning a business".

By the way this site has a quote feature. Why don't you use it instead of being obnoxious.

Bastids!

Bastids!

Focus! I wrote GOOD IT GUY.
Focus! I was referring to this recurring propaganda (very outdated) tidbit;

If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.

Bastids!

No, actually I don't. I have skills and equipment, and I'm hired to use them. That simply makes me a freelancer as opposed to a statutory employee. Part of that deal (lately) is that I do the entire gig on my own, including booking my own travel and using my own equipment. That is taking on risk, sure, and that risk has to be addressed. But it's not "owning a business".

By the way this site has a quote feature. Why don't you use it instead of being obnoxious.

You are a business. You get all the nifty tax breaks, and the government has some of the monies you've paid to help you. You paid it, why not use it?

Happy?

You have a computer that works?

As the saying goes --- "one day at a time". :eusa_pray:
My son had 7 hackers using his computer, it was 91% percent corrupt programs..It almost crashed.....Then the gaming computer graphics card burned up.I got a good deal on new one through Jet..
If you paid more than $300 a new graphics card would have been cheaper. You can get a good 2gig card costs less that $100.

You are a business. You get all the nifty tax breaks, and the government has some of the monies you've paid to help you. You paid it, why not use it?

Happy?
I like being obnoxious to obnoxious posters..... :thup:
Happy?

My son had 7 hackers using his computer, it was 91% percent corrupt programs..It almost crashed.....Then the gaming computer graphics card burned up.I got a good deal on new one through Jet..
If you paid more than $300 a new graphics card would have been cheaper. You can get a good 2gig card costs less that $100.
It was $188 bucks which is not bad for the water cooled Intel board..that operates at 2T..

It was $188 bucks which is not bad for the water cooled Intel board..that operates at 2T..
What graphic card? It does matter if it's a gaming computer.

I did upgrade all my computers (but one) to Win 10 not long ago after Microsucks fixed some of the recurring issues it was having. I've blocked their telemetry, loaded Classic Shell, uninstalled almost all their bloatware and loaded the old Win 7 games. The only things I'm waiting for is someone to figure out a way to give full control of updates back and to be able to uninstall Cortana without breaking the Windows Explorer search function.

Happy?
Happy?

Trying to help you NOT be your own worst enemy.

Happy?
Happy?

Boy do I love clueless narcissists, they're so funny....... :thup:

Download the GWX Control Panel.

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

Use the 'Download Standalone' link.

Why do you advise the standalone as opposed to the installer? I just downloaded the exe.
Generally installers are unnecessary third party software that often have other software piggybacked on them and or want to set themselves up as the primary installer, typically not a smart idea. Many also have ad popups attached so not the best of ideas there either.

I know what you mean, but after checking out other people's experiences and watching the install, I didn't see any of that going on. Saw no changes anywhere except that, and this may be subjective, the whole system seems to be smoother now.

This appears to be a white knight just doing what's right for the community. I searched for complaints, couldn't find any.

Plus, I want the tool to stay updated for when Microplop counters it and requires a counter-counter. Or as the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon would have put it, the anti-anti-missle-missle-missle.
It's just a cautionary warning I give people as most don't know what to look for or don't know what they are seeing.

Yes, and it's worthwhile advice in general. I just thought there may have been something specific to this tool. As there isn't, I won't worry about it.

You were also my guru for Glary Utilities in the past, which I continue to load the latest exe, and that's working well too. Some things try to sneak stuff in, some don't.

Now my AVG is constantly (lately) trying to muscle in on my search engine, so that gets a nix.
I dumped AVG about a a decade ago when they became as intrusive and resource hogging as Norton, went to Avast. I use the Avast free which does have ad popups that can't be blocked but in settings I only allow the ad popups one second so they're gone before I can read them. Panda Free is another really good AV but has the same popup messages that can be minimized to a 1 second duration.

Happy?
Happy?

Oh and try looking in the mirror when you say that. I asked you a simple question and stated why I was asking it, you came back with a smartassed retort to which I responded in kind. It would appear you don't like being treated the way you treat others....... Life sucks......

Forum List

Back