Attacked by Microsoft hijack

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
So yesterday morning I got my work computer humming, got several things in the process of working, ready to knock out. I get up for a bite to eat, look at the computer and it's ...... restarting?

:wtf:

Well there goes everything I was working on.... who told it to restart?

Then the screen goes black with a big circle in the middle showing a percentage (status) and the words "Windows Upgrade" on the top and "Your system will restart several times" at the bottom. Not only is my work gone, I'm being invaded and can't do a damn thing about it.

Well over an hour later my worst fears materialize: "Welcome to Windblows 10". :banghead:

Fortunately the very first thing that comes up is a plain text on dark background reading a TOS agreement it wants you to "Accept". Immediately I click "Decline". It tries to sell me again with lies about speeds and whatever, I firmly say No. Then it goes, "Wull heck, OK we'll restore the previous system but this will take a while".

So first they wipe out my work, then they tie up my system for an hour and a half bringing in shit I never asked for and specifically declined, then they tie me up another hour and a half cleaning up the mess they made without any kind of permission whatsoever. Finally three hours later I have my Win 8 back and I can get back to reconstructing all the work they wiped out.

It occurs to me that if the hijack had happened 24 hours earlier I would have lost the files I'm working on as they were being generated, and they wouldn't exist, and possibly neither would my job. And for all I know they're just going to do it again at some unknown point in the future.

If there ever was a time for a class action suit, it's here. I didn't find one in progress on a search but if anyone knows of such an action please let us know here.

Sounds like you need a better IT person :cow:

I have heard of a few people this has happened to recently as far as the forced conversion. I think it happens to those who did not voluntarily switch to 10 but let their OS dowload and install updates automatically. There was a warning floating around a few months ago MS was changing the updater from recommended to a priority update.

As for the other problem, I have had the computer do the restart to install updates at very inconvenient times. It is a PITA, especially when work gets lost.

I have disabled the GWXUX that keeps popping up "psst" boxes off the tray, and I'm sure it's no accident those boxes are completely blank in the hopes you'll click something without being able to see what you're dong. In the past I have removed the KB3035583 update, only to have it reinstall itself. Now I can't re-uninstall KB3035583 --- I can see it sitting there but when I go to the list that actually lets you uninstall ---- it doesn't show up.

Bastids!

I have disabled the GWXUX that keeps popping up "psst" boxes off the tray, and I'm sure it's no accident those boxes are completely blank in the hopes you'll click something without being able to see what you're dong. In the past I have removed the KB3035583 update, only to have it reinstall itself. Now I can't re-uninstall KB3035583 --- I can see it sitting there but when I go to the list that actually lets you uninstall ---- it doesn't show up.

Bastids!
Download the GWX Control Panel.

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

Use the 'Download Standalone' link.

Bastids!

Thankyew sir.

I really need to get my vision checked. I just noticed I posted something about "without being able to see what you're dong".
Obviously that should have read "your dong" -- not "you're". :eusa_shifty:

"your dongle"?

Ringel05 --- should I be at all concerned that this tool was uploaded to the world on April First?

Nothin' gets by me I tell ya. Well except the occasional dong.

Bastids!

Thankyew sir.

I really need to get my vision checked. I just noticed I posted something about "without being able to see what you're dong".
Obviously that should have read "your dong" -- not "you're". :eusa_shifty:

"your dongle"?
Or you're donging.......

Personally I like donging...... with willing human females.......

Oh and when (if) you install the GWX Control Panel this is what it should look like;

how_to_stay_on_windows_7_8_forever_gwx.png

Oh and when (if) you install the GWX Control Panel this is what it should look like;

how_to_stay_on_windows_7_8_forever_gwx.png

DAMN that was easy. The whole download/install and execution took what felt like about 30 seconds, although it may have actually been 35. Bam, bam, bam, Windblows Nagware GONE. I'm recommending this guy for a Nobel peace prize.

:bow3:

So yesterday morning I got my work computer humming, got several things in the process of working, ready to knock out. I get up for a bite to eat, look at the computer and it's ...... restarting?

Then the screen goes black with a big circle in the middle showing a percentage (status) and the words "Windows Upgrade" on the top and "Your system will restart several times" at the bottom. Not only is my work gone, I'm being invaded and can't do a damn thing about it.

Well over an hour later my worst fears materialize: "Welcome to Windblows 10". :banghead:

Fortunately the very first thing that comes up is a plain text on dark background reading a TOS agreement it wants you to "Accept". Immediately I click "Decline". It tries to sell me again with lies about speeds and whatever, I firmly say No. Then it goes, "Wull heck, OK we'll restore the previous system but this will take a while".

So first they wipe out my work, then they tie up my system for an hour and a half bringing in shit I never asked for and specifically declined, then they tie me up another hour and a half cleaning up the mess they made without any kind of permission whatsoever. Finally three hours later I have my Win 8 back and I can get back to reconstructing all the work they wiped out.

It occurs to me that if the hijack had happened 24 hours earlier I would have lost the files I'm working on as they were being generated, and they wouldn't exist, and possibly neither would my job. And for all I know they're just going to do it again at some unknown point in the future.

If there ever was a time for a class action suit, it's here. I didn't find one in progress on a search but if anyone knows of such an action please let us know here.

WHen you bought the computer you agreed to let them do it. It is in the tiny writing when you clock "OK" when you first get the computer.
Every single person using Windows, especially 10 - gives a corporation the right to every single thing on your computer, they have the right to view it, download it from you and share it.

Here is the Privacy Statement at the beginning everyone has to click OK to inorder to use the computer...

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

WHen you bought the computer you agreed to let them do it. It is in the tiny writing when you clock "OK" when you first get the computer.
Every single person using Windows, especially 10 - gives a corporation the right to every single thing on your computer, they have the right to view it, download it from you and share it.

Here is the Privacy Statement at the beginning everyone has to click OK to inorder to use the computer...

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;

2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;

3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or

4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

You misread. I have never bought 10. I bought one with 7 and one with 8. And any time 10 came up on them, I declined it.

That's only for the moment, I understand that, and the nagware kept coming, I understand that too.

What I don't agree to is having the damn thing shut down what I'm doing and install itself without my permission or even so much as a simple warning that that was going to happen. Not only did that wipe out everything I had going on, which after a three-hour forced delay I had to reconstruct --- if the damn thing had done that 24 hours earlier it would have happened at a much more critical time and it would have cost me my job, since the work at that point would have been un-reconstructable.

Now THAT is what I call a virus. No I absolutely never agreed to let it commandeer itself and wipe out my work.

Somebody should class-action sue the motherfuckers and I'll be on board wid a quickness. Because that work is my property -- nobody but nobody gets the right to barge in and wipe it out.

Last edited:

Bastids!

Why do you advise the standalone as opposed to the installer? I just downloaded the exe.

Bastids!

Bastids!

Why are you doing this on a work computer? Hire a better IT guy, that's their job.

Bastids!

Why do you advise the standalone as opposed to the installer? I just downloaded the exe.
Generally installers are unnecessary third party software that often have other software piggybacked on them and or want to set themselves up as the primary installer, typically not a smart idea. Many also have ad popups attached so not the best of ideas there either.

Bastids!

Bastids!

Why are you doing this on a work computer? Hire a better IT guy, that's their job.

They're my computers. I work for myself.

Anyway --- the tool Ringel linked to is working beautifully, so far. I figure, if the alternative is a corporate virus hijacking my system anyway, what have I got to lose. If down the road it crashes me, well Microslush is already doing that anyway.

Last edited:

Bastids!

Generally installers are unnecessary third party software that often have other software piggybacked on them and or want to set themselves up as the primary installer, typically not a smart idea. Many also have ad popups attached so not the best of ideas there either.

I know what you mean, but after checking out other people's experiences and watching the install, I didn't see any of that going on. Saw no changes anywhere except that, and this may be subjective, the whole system seems to be smoother now.

This appears to be a white knight just doing what's right for the community. I searched for complaints, couldn't find any.

Plus, I want the tool to stay updated for when Microplop counters it and requires a counter-counter. Or as the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon would have put it, the anti-anti-missle-missle-missle.

Bastids!

Bastids!

The YOU should hire a good IT guy so you can concentrate on business. It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business.

FYI: If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.

Bastids!

I know what you mean, but after checking out other people's experiences and watching the install, I didn't see any of that going on. Saw no changes anywhere except that, and this may be subjective, the whole system seems to be smoother now.

This appears to be a white knight just doing what's right for the community. I searched for complaints, couldn't find any.

Plus, I want the tool to stay updated for when Microplop counters it and requires a counter-counter. Or as the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon would have put it, the anti-anti-missle-missle-missle.
It's just a cautionary warning I give people as most don't know what to look for or don't know what they are seeing.

Bastids!

Bastids!

The YOU should hire a good IT guy so you can concentrate on business. It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business.

FYI: If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.
Microsoft trained? That's where most of that propaganda comes from.

Forum List

Back