Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Religion is any belief structure that says, "What I am, what I do, what I say, what I know, what I believe ----- makes me important." In this Atheism is decidedly a religious belief.

No it's not. There is no doctrine...no set of beliefs for atheists.
Atheists believe that there can be no God.
Atheists believe that life originated from nothing.
Atheists believe that morality originated from Man.
Atheists believe that man is improving through evolution.
Atheists believe that anyone who believes in God is inferior.
I'm sure there are other "doctrines."

Religion is any belief structure that says, "What I am, what I do, what I say, what I know, what I believe ----- makes me important." In this Atheism is decidedly a religious belief.

Exactly!

There are churches for atheists. Atheists can become Ministers of the 'flock'. Atheism is definitely a religion. It is a godless religion, but a religion none the less.

Is it the simple fact that 'religion' relates to 'belief' regarding the god or gods eluded to within the context of the word 'religion' that makes the atheists repugnant in being characterized as a member of a religion. What atheists cannot fathom is that promoting disbelief is nothing more than promoting belief in a juxtaposed argument.

One does not have to be religious to be a member of a religion. Atheists that continually argue their point are being religious. Atheists that shut the fuck up are simply not practicing their religion.

God bless America!

Exactly!

There are churches for atheists. Atheists can become Ministers of the 'flock'. Atheism is definitely a religion. It is a godless religion, but a religion none the less.

Is it the simple fact that 'religion' relates to 'belief' regarding the god or gods eluded to within the context of the word 'religion' that makes the atheists repugnant in being characterized as a member of a religion. What atheists cannot fathom is that promoting disbelief is nothing more than promoting belief in a juxtaposed argument.

One does not have to be religious to be a member of a religion. Atheists that continually argue their point are being religious. Atheists that shut the fuck up are simply not practicing their religion.

God bless America!

You know better than that. We've been through this before.

Atheists don't believe in the tooth fairy either. That is not a religion.

My non belief in Bigfoot is not a religion.

A doctrine is a belief that is taught to be true. It is not necessarily a set of beliefs but could be a single belief. Now you may say that the tenet "God does not exist" isn't a doctrine or a belief but rather it is non-belief in the existence of God. But you are still making a statement and it is a statement of truth to people who prescribed to that tenet and it is that alone which makes it doctrine. If you make a truth claim then you have a doctrine whether you like it or not. When you say with absolute conviction and certainty that "There is no God and the only right way is atheism" then you are being doctrinaire and dogmatic in your "non-belief". It is the truth claim that makes doctrine regardless if that claim is negative or not.

Not believing in religion is not a religion. How dumb are you folks?
Atheism is without theism. It really isn't without religion, that would be areligious. I am an areligious theist.

And there are two religions that don't believe in God. One was Anton LeVay's church which you stupidly claimed worships Satan. Proving how dumb you are. A quick Google search will reveal the truth. And scientology which has no deity.

Atheism is completely without religion. I know this because as soon as I became an atheist, I lost my religion. That's the great thing about being an atheist....it requires so little of your time. :p
So why do you spend so much of your time denigrating religion and defending your own belief? My GAWD, woman! You have made a fucking RELIGION of it!
:dance::cuckoo::dance:

:eusa_angel:

:finger3:

:FIREdevil:

:fu:

A doctrine is a belief that is taught to be true. It is not necessarily a set of beliefs but could be a single belief. Now you may say that the tenet "God does not exist" isn't a doctrine or a belief but rather it is non-belief in the existence of God. But you are still making a statement and it is a statement of truth to people who prescribed to that tenet and it is that alone which makes it doctrine. If you make a truth claim then you have a doctrine whether you like it or not. When you say with absolute conviction and certainty that "There is no God and the only right way is atheism" then you are being doctrinaire and dogmatic in your "non-belief". It is the truth claim that makes doctrine regardless if that claim is negative or not.

I've never said the only "right" way is atheism, and I can't say for sure that there is no Gawd, I just don't live my life as if one exists.

Atheism is no more of a religion than not believing in Bigfoot.

Not believing in religion is not a religion. How dumb are you folks?
Atheism is without theism. It really isn't without religion, that would be areligious. I am an areligious theist.

And there are two religions that don't believe in God. One was Anton LeVay's church which you stupidly claimed worships Satan. Proving how dumb you are. A quick Google search will reveal the truth. And scientology which has no deity.

Atheism is completely without religion. I know this because as soon as I became an atheist, I lost my religion. That's the great thing about being an atheist....it requires so little of your time. :p
So why do you spend so much of your time denigrating religion and defending your own belief? My GAWD, woman! You have made a fucking RELIGION of it!
:dance::cuckoo::dance:

:eusa_angel:

:finger3:

:FIREdevil:

:fu:

No, that's you trying to put me on the same shelf with you crazy fundies.

This is quite true. I would alter it only to say that not having a belief that X exists is not the same as having a belief that X does not exist. Anyone that argues, "God does not exist!" is expressing a belief!

This is quite true. I would alter it only to say that not having a belief that X exists is not the same as having a belief that X does not exist. Anyone that argues, "God does not exist!" is expressing a belief!

The tooth fairy does not exist.

I've never said the only "right" way is atheism, and I can't say for sure that there is no Gawd, I just don't live my life as if one exists.

If you don't live your life as if one exists, why do you spend so much time promoting the belief that one doesn't exist? If something does not exist, there should be no thought of its existence, one way or the other.

That is a belief that you hold.

To the three year old that awakens to find a quarter under the pillow, it does. Your silly straw man is evidence of your frustration.

If you don't live your life as if one exists, why do you spend so much time promoting the belief that one doesn't exist? If something does not exist, there should be no thought of its existence, one way or the other.

To promote suggests that I try to get others to sign up for something. Have I ever made any suggestions to you, that you should give atheism a try?

The answer is no.

To the three year old that awakens to find a quarter under the pillow, it does. Your silly straw man is evidence of your frustration.

That is not a religion. The only one here who's angry is you. You're angry that I will not let you put my atheism on the same shelf as your crazy.

To promote suggests that I try to get others to sign up for something. Have I ever made any suggestions to you, that you should give atheism a try?

The answer is no.
To argue a debatable point is to seek concurrence. By expressing your belief that there is no god, you are attempting to convince others that your belief is reality. Your argument here in this one thread is nothing more than what a person would expect to hear in the way of advice from a church elder or from a 'teacher' or from a pulpit on any given Sunday....just depends on which religion you belong to.

Well that is fine with me. If your atheism is just merely a personal opinion then by no means should any one mistake it for religious conviction because mere opinion does not equal conviction. But if you certain beyond a shadow of doubt that the absolute truth is that God does not exist and all other opinions regarding this matter are wrong then you are being a bit more than religious. You personally might not be this way but I have certainly seen atheist who are that way. To them atheism is the only right answer to the question whether God exists or not.

That is not a religion. The only one here who's angry is you. You're angry that I will not let you put my atheism on the same shelf as your crazy.

I didn't say that belief in the tooth fairy is a religion. It's a construct of man to entertain children, just as are Santa and the Easter Bunny. Once the child is gone, there is no need for the belief...except to pass it down to one's children...for entertainment purposes and a few toothless smiles.

Are people implying there ISN'T a TOOTH FAIRY? ALL Those teeth for all those quarters was just...a lie? But Jesus is still real, right? Wow, almost peed myself.

Are people implying there ISN'T a TOOTH FAIRY? ALL Those teeth for all those quarters was just...a lie? But Jesus is still real, right? Wow, almost peed myself.
Yes, Dorothy...there is a difference between the two.

Well that is fine with me. If your atheism is just merely a personal opinion then by no means should any one mistake it for religious conviction because mere opinion does not equal conviction. But if you certain beyond a shadow of doubt that the absolute truth is that God does not exist and all other opinions regarding this matter are wrong then you are being a bit more than religious. You personally might not be this way but I have certainly seen atheist who are that way. To them atheism is the only right answer to the question whether God exists or not.

I think it's important to define our various gawds here. Most references to the gawds are directed to the judeo- christian gawds for no other reason than those are the culturally correct gawds. Your references to the gawds do not represent a generic, one size fits all gawds but a very specific configuration of gawds. I would argue that you can select science, history, art, etc with abandon but you cannot do the same with gawds. I can only accept a claim of regeneration as an inarguable position (unsupported, but not debatable) on behalf of the religionist for their gawds, and that means there is no possibility of interpretation on the part of the theist.

As to whether gawds exist, which gawds are you referring to?

Forum List

Back