Atheism: Dispelling the Stigma

AtheistBuddah

Jun 30, 2014
Nice try, internet :)
This post mainly addresses my fellow atheists on this forum but to those of you who are not, I hope that you take what I have to say to heart as well.

The stigma that surrounds the word "atheist" is, in my mind, a great detriment to our equality as an ideological minority. Many among the religious believe and propagate the notion that without faith there can be no morality, no empathy, or charity. Many people believe that atheism is synonymous with hedonism and that we simply choose not to believe and adhere to religious doctrine so that we behave in any manner we please, no matter how vile or immoral.

These assertions are simply not true and are damaging to atheists when it comes to having our voices heard during political and social dialogues. We are human beings who value the sanctity of life and of the truth and our opinions are just as valid and important as those of our religious counterparts. A society that shuns one dissenting opinion can soon become a society that shuns all dissenting opinions and no one wants to live in world like that.

In closing I will simply say that nothing is above scrutiny. Not celebrities, not politicians, not religious leaders, not even God if such a being exists. We have, as human beings, the right to question and scrutinize everything and as atheists we can be responsible for just as much good in the world as any religious person can. We are not satanists, we are not inherently immoral. We are brothers, sons, daughters, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends, coworkers and more. We are part of society and deserve an equal voice.

This post mainly addresses my fellow atheists on this forum but to those of you who are not, I hope that you take what I have to say to heart as well.

The stigma that surrounds the word "atheist" is, in my mind, a great detriment to our equality as an ideological minority. Many among the religious believe and propagate the notion that without faith there can be no morality, no empathy, or charity. Many people believe that atheism is synonymous with hedonism and that we simply choose not to believe and adhere to religious doctrine so that we behave in any manner we please, no matter how vile or immoral.

These assertions are simply not true and are damaging to atheists when it comes to having our voices heard during political and social dialogues. We are human beings who value the sanctity of life and of the truth and our opinions are just as valid and important as those of our religious counterparts. A society that shuns one dissenting opinion can soon become a society that shuns all dissenting opinions and no one wants to live in world like that.

In closing I will simply say that nothing is above scrutiny. Not celebrities, not politicians, not religious leaders, not even God if such a being exists. We have, as human beings, the right to question and scrutinize everything and as atheists we can be responsible for just as much good in the world as any religious person can. We are not satanists, we are not inherently immoral. We are brothers, sons, daughters, sisters, mothers, fathers, friends, coworkers and more. We are part of society and deserve an equal voice.

You had me up to the Satanists point. You imply Satanists are inherently immoral. Isn't that doing to them exactly what you are asking others to not do to you?

You had me up to the Satanists point. You imply Satanists are inherently immoral. Isn't that doing to them exactly what you are asking others to not do to you?

You're right, my apologies.

Ok.

Speaking as an atheist, you're going to get the same accusations for just about anything.

No problem. I agree you deserve an equal voice. I believe everyone deserves an equal voice. But people are not going to stop being people. So if you want that voice, you need to yell.

No problem. I agree you deserve an equal voice. I believe everyone deserves an equal voice. But people are not going to stop being people. So if you want that voice, you need to yell.

I agree wholeheartedly

Many people believe that atheism is synonymous with hedonism and that we simply choose not to believe and adhere to religious doctrine so that we behave in any manner we please, no matter how vile or immoral.

These assertions are simply not true and are damaging to atheists when it comes to having our voices heard during political and social dialogues. We are human beings who value the sanctity of life and of the truth and our opinions are just as valid and important as those of our religious counterparts.

Hell yeah some of those assertions are true- in regards to many but not all Athiests. Some Athiests do "behave in any matter they please, no matter how vile or immoral".

The best ones.

And what is with all this talk about "we" and "our"? You speak only for yourself. You do not speak for all Athiests.

Perhaps you do not revel in hedonism, but many Athiests do.

The best ones.

Perhaps you "value the sanctity of life", but many Athiests do not.

We are not satanists, we are not inherently immoral.

Actually, many "Satanists" are Athiests, particularly Laveyan Satanists, although they are weak and pathetic compared to the Drecc of O9A, some of which are Athiests as well.

Many people believe that atheism is synonymous with hedonism and that we simply choose not to believe and adhere to religious doctrine so that we behave in any manner we please, no matter how vile or immoral.

These assertions are simply not true and are damaging to atheists when it comes to having our voices heard during political and social dialogues. We are human beings who value the sanctity of life and of the truth and our opinions are just as valid and important as those of our religious counterparts.

Hell yeah some of those assertions are true- in regards to many but not all Athiests. Some Athiests do "behave in any matter they please, no matter how vile or immoral".

The best ones.

And what is with all this talk about "we" and "our"? You speak only for yourself. You do not speak for all Athiests.

The best ones.

Actually, many "Satanists" are Athiests, particularly Laveyan Satanists, although they are weak and pathetic compared to the Drecc of O9A, some of which are Athiests as well.

I may not speak for all atheists but I don't think it's assuming too much to say that the majority of us strive to be good people and have empathy for others.

And you are making us look like a bunch of hedonistic, eugenics loving, Nazi worshipers. You're like the Gismys of atheists. You make the rest of us look bad because of your extreme views. But I know that I speak for many if not most atheists when I say that I reject them.

I may not speak for all atheists but I don't think it's assuming too much to say that the majority of us strive to be good people and have empathy for others.
Good is a subjective point of view based on your delusions of morality.

Aleister Crowley wrote: "Do as thou Will shall be the whole of the law".

My own beliefs resonate with that far more than restricting myself to delusions of "Good" or "Evil" behavior.

Again, you cannot speak for "the majority" of Athiests you delusional Mundane.

And you are making us look like a bunch of hedonistic, eugenics loving, Nazi worshipers.

What is wrong with Eugenics? What is wrong with behavior you Mundanes call "hedonism"? Among the Nazis were many worthless, Mundane followers but the man who ruled and indoctrinated them- Adolf Hitler- forged a grand destiny for himself... unlike the majority of humans.

Many Pharoahs and Kings were born into greatness. Hitler rised from nothing and seized greatness himself.

And how I make Athiests "look" is none of my concern, for many reasons, but mostly because I am not an Athiest, and because my Athiest associates don't care at all what people think of their "beliefs".

You're like the Gismys of atheists. You make the rest of us look bad because of your extreme views.

The "Gismys of Athiests"? If you are implying that I am some sort of extremist Athiest, perhaps you misread the part where I mentioned that I am not an Athiest?

But an "extremist"? An extremist of what exactly?

And what is this about "bad"? Some subjective delusion of "evil" perhaps?

But I know that I speak for many if not most atheists when I say that I reject them.

Reject my "extreme" views if you Will, but in reality, you only speak for yourself. You are more alone than you would like to believe.

Good is a subjective point of view based on your delusions of morality.

Aleister Crowley wrote: "Do as thou Will shall be the whole of the law".

My own beliefs resonate with that far more than restricting myself to delusions of "Good" or "Evil" behavior.

Again, you cannot speak for "the majority" of Athiests you delusional Mundane.

And you are making us look like a bunch of hedonistic, eugenics loving, Nazi worshipers.

What is wrong with Eugenics? What is wrong with behavior you Mundanes call "hedonism"? Among the Nazis were many worthless, Mundane followers but the man who ruled and indoctrinated them- Adolf Hitler- forged a grand destiny for himself... unlike the majority of humans.

Many Pharoahs and Kings were born into greatness. Hitler rised from nothing and seized greatness himself.

And how I make Athiests "look" is none of my concern, for many reasons, but mostly because I am not an Athiest, and because my Athiest associates don't care at all what people think of their "beliefs".

You're like the Gismys of atheists. You make the rest of us look bad because of your extreme views.

The "Gismys of Athiests"? If you are implying that I am some sort of extremist Athiest, perhaps you misread the part where I mentioned that I am not an Athiest?

But an "extremist"? An extremist of what exactly?

And what is this about "bad"? Some subjective delusion of "evil" perhaps?

But I know that I speak for many if not most atheists when I say that I reject them.

Reject my "extreme" views if you Will, but in reality, you only speak for yourself. You are more alone than you would like to believe.

You say I'm delusional and you say that I am alone. But your words ring hallow because they are only true for one of us and it isn't me. I'm also glad to see you say that you aren't an atheist. We're demonized enough without having people like you in our ranks.

Also there are a great many things wrong with eugenics and there was nothing great about Hitlers destiny because ultimately his destiny was a self inflicted death after his hideous dream had come crashing down around him. Disgusting is the only word suited for describing him.

Also there are a great many things wrong with eugenics.

Tell me then, Mundane. What is wrong with Eugenics? It is a simple question.

As a policy, it only works by force. It requires an oppressive governmental structure and an unquestioning populace. I would think someone who claims to follow the idea of "Do what thou will" would be wary of a system which would consider such a philosophy a danger to the state.

As a policy, it only works by force. It requires an oppressive governmental structure and an unquestioning populace. I would think someone who claims to follow the idea of "Do what thou will" would be wary of a system which would consider such a philosophy a danger to the state.

I never claimed to "follow" anything. I quoted a sentence and said that my beliefs resonate with it. That is not the same as "following".

And do you truly know what "Do what thou will" means?

Again I ask, what is so "wrong" with eugenics? The individual may practice it when they select a mate with desirable genetics, but the government or ruling body may practice it by imposing such a system on those whom they rule.

I see nothing "wrong" with either of those things.

I never claimed to "follow" anything. I quoted a sentence and said that my beliefs resonate with it. That is not the same as "following".

And do you truly know what "Do what thou will" means?

Again I ask, what is so "wrong" with eugenics? The individual may practice it when they select a mate with desirable genetics, but the government or ruling body may practice it by imposing such a system on those whom they rule.

I see nothing "wrong" with either of those things.

If you see nothing wrong with the government telling you who you may or may not reproduce with, deciding who may or may not reproduce, deciding which child will be allowed to live, you are a fool.

The best ones.

The best ones.

When you consistently misspell "atheist," it undermines your whole point. Not that your point needed much more undermining.

Of course some individual atheists are immoral and/or hedonists and/or any positive or negative thing anyone wants to say. But there is no correlation between immorality (however defined) and atheism. THAT was AtheistBuddha's point.

Actually, that is half of it. The entire phrase is this: Do as thou wilt be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will.

The law is Thelema. It's not hedonistic. It's very structured and requires extreme amounts of self discipline found in daily rituals. The point of the rituals is that over time you develop a level of awareness of how each of your actions impact others. With that knowledge your actions and your attitude begin to change. You recognize aspects of your own ego that are a hindrance to your own personal growth.

What is Thelema?

You're a self professed criminal and your friends are allegedly all criminals.
I have never said that "my friends are all criminals". Many of them are, and many of them are not.

Identifying one as a criminal hardly tells you anything about a person.. unless you are a Mundane, in which case you will automatically be compelled to feel against the "criminal", due to constant mind rape via indoctrination.​

Keep in mind that makes you and yours prime candidates for sterilization.

I will not keep that in mind because there are many ways to practice Eugenics- many of which have nothing to do with "sterilizing criminals", but instead, the elimination of specific hereditary diseases to strengthen future generations. I think it would be best to cull the humans of our population that possess the worst inherited genetic diseases. I believe retarded and deformed children should be aborted, and I believe everyone should be force tested for HIV/ AIDS and culled if they are infected.​

Last edited:
Actually, that is half of it. The entire phrase is this: Do as thou wilt be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will.

The law is Thelema. It's not hedonistic. It's very structured and requires extreme amounts of self discipline found in daily rituals.

Yes, I know what Thelema is, Mundane, and I never called it "hedonistic".

I respect it, though I follow nothing. Thelema has things in common with my own beliefs but I feel no desire or need to subscribe to a religion. I would much rather forge my own.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back