Asset Forfeiture?

Going to buy kitchen equipment with $17,550 in cash. Sure he was.

The second was a criminal act. Do you really want these guys living next door?
What you think or judge the person was going to do with the 17k is irrelevant. The fact is that you whined about all the examples being 'criminal acts' and I give you examples where absolutely no criminal act was committed and you are still not pleased. Moving the goalposts now?

The second example Also had no criminal act. The third one did - a 40 dollar drug charge for a person THAT DID NOT OWN THE PROPERTY. They did not commit the act on the property either nor was the property involved in the drug purchase. Do I want them to live next door? I would prefer them over you. Who you want living next door is also completely irrelevant, more moving of those goalposts I see. You don't get to determine who lives next door unless you are willing to move. It is not your damn business who decides to purchase and voluntarily live there. They followed the law. It is duly noted though that you think someone that purchase 40 dollars worth of pot should have their property stripped from them because 'you don't want them to live next door.' You must REALLY hate the poor - they are far more likely to be caught involved in petty and pointless drug crimes and they are the ones that cannot fight or recover from these forfeitures (particularly if it involved homes).

Do I not have a right to my own property? Shouldn't I be CONVICTED of a crime before my property becomes forfeit?

You are pulled over and a cop find a large amount of cash (without a bank receipt) and drug paraphernalia, you should get to keep the cash and the drug paraphernalia?

Explain, in detail, EXACTLY what constitutes "drug paraphernalia". Be specific.

That isnt a response.
Holding 10k in cash is not money laundering. It is holding 10k in cash.
Police confiscate assets unrelated to the crime and out of proportion to the evidence. Getting them returned is expensive and time consuming and often out of the range of the average person.

The next time you are at the bank deposit 10k cash in your account and watch what happens. You have to prove where the money came from.

The issue is due process. The police have to apply to the courts in order to keep the assets. A hearing is held. You have the right to challenge. There is your due process.

I deposited $8850 (cash) about a year and a half ago. Nobody at the bank said a word about it.

You actually like the idea that police can strong arm a person into signing away their property?

What a fascist asshole.

In every case that's been presented a criminal act has taken place.

NO, LIE!

The police have to apply to the courts for any forfeiture. A hearing is held.

A rubber stamp is wielded, you mean.

What's so 'fascist' about being pro in catching criminals?

Sure...let's expand to random house-to-house searches! :up_yours:

Going to buy kitchen equipment with $17,550 in cash. Sure he was.

Stop deflecting, pisshead. He committed no crime and was robbed at gunpoint. We both know this is the case, please stop humiliating yourself.

The second was a criminal act. Do you really want these guys living next door?

Someone who bought a foreclosed house to fix and might smoke pot? Sure.

Martha Stewart was a dog and pony show, just something to make is look like action was being taken.

Did she violate the law?

After a highly publicized six-week jury trial, Stewart was found guilty in March 2004 of felony charges of conspiracy, obstruction of an agency proceeding, and making false statements to federal investigators, and was sentenced in July 2004 to serve a five-month term in a federal correctional facility and a two-year period of supervised release (to include five months of electronic monitoring)

Martha Stewart was a dog and pony show, just something to make is look like action was being taken.

Did she violate the law?

After a highly publicized six-week jury trial, Stewart was found guilty in March 2004 of felony charges of conspiracy, obstruction of an agency proceeding, and making false statements to federal investigators, and was sentenced in July 2004 to serve a five-month term in a federal correctional facility and a two-year period of supervised release (to include five months of electronic monitoring)

Somehow that's always rubbed me raw that the feds can lie to us, but if we lie to them, we go to jail.

Did she violate the law?

Somehow that's always rubbed me raw that the feds can lie to us, but if we lie to them, we go to jail.
Notice she didnt actually do anything wrong initially. Most of the charges came about during the investigation itself.

Nope. Asset forfeiture is the most unconstitutional thing to come down the pike in years.

I agree. I think you should be charged, tried and convicted of a serious crime before they can take your money or property.
As usual people applauded when RICO was passed, thinking it would target mafia types and other undesirables.
But lo and behold, prosecutors have come up with ingenious ways to use it against ordinary people not committing crimes that the legislators would be shocked to know they had inadvertently targeted.
This is the way of legislation. People cheer thinking it will affect someone else and then are shocked to find it affects them. Just wait until all Americans are forced to provide valid birth certificates or passports before getting a job offer. Or being forced to show those documents in traffic stops.

Nope. Asset forfeiture is the most unconstitutional thing to come down the pike in years.

I agree. I think you should be charged, tried and convicted of a serious crime before they can take your money or property.
As usual people applauded when RICO was passed, thinking it would target mafia types and other undesirables.
But lo and behold, prosecutors have come up with ingenious ways to use it against ordinary people not committing crimes that the legislators would be shocked to know they had inadvertently targeted.
This is the way of legislation. People cheer thinking it will affect someone else and then are shocked to find it affects them. Just wait until all Americans are forced to provide valid birth certificates or passports before getting a job offer. Or being forced to show those documents in traffic stops.

Just wait until all Americans are forced to provide valid birth certificates or passports before getting a job offer.

You've had to show these for many years now.

Asset forfeiture is a terrible policy which violates due process and is easily abused by corrupt government employees. Like they really need more encouragement....

Sure! Lets help criminals as much as possible.

I love watching so-called progressives stand up for the police state. Fascist phonies.
I don't. it makes me sick to see that there is no opposition whatsoever to the police state. I expect to see a few right wingers behind such asshattery - they are usually the ones supporting the police while the left loves to tear them down.

Here we seem to have the exact opposite.

That isnt a response.
Holding 10k in cash is not money laundering. It is holding 10k in cash.
Police confiscate assets unrelated to the crime and out of proportion to the evidence. Getting them returned is expensive and time consuming and often out of the range of the average person.

The next time you are at the bank deposit 10k cash in your account and watch what happens. You have to prove where the money came from.

The issue is due process. The police have to apply to the courts in order to keep the assets. A hearing is held. You have the right to challenge. There is your due process.

I deposited $8850 (cash) about a year and a half ago. Nobody at the bank said a word about it.
The limit is 10k. 8850 is less than 10,000.

I know the last time I tried to withdraw 10k and refused to furnish a reason toi the bank, they refused to give me my cash.

And I keep getting told that we are so 'free.' People simply do not understand what free is.

If she's hot, yes of course I do. She'll have money to take care of her damn property if she wants and loves it so damn much. Unlike these pot growers next door. I live in such a nice neighborhood with big homes and nice properties and I get stuck with the neighbors who have their blinds down all the damn time. Shit.

If she's hot?

Forum List

Back