Assault weapons...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
I own a Remington model 700 .270cal rifle, a J.C.Higgins .270 cal with Mauser action, a Browning "Sweet 16", a Spanish made 16ga O/U, a Ruger 9mm and a Gamo .177cal air-rifle. I have taken game from deer, to squirrel, to rabbit, to grouse and not once have I needed an assault rifle to bring down any game.

There is no need to use assault weapons for hunting purposes, unless you want to spoil alot of meat. The only folks I know who actually buy such things are collectors who have no intention of ever using them for anything, and those suffering from severe cases of testosterone poisoning. As for the collectors, there are still plenty of weapons available that were grandfathered in under the old assault-weapons ban. As for the testosterone poisoned, they need to grow up before they're allowed anywhere near a weapon.

Bullypulpit said:
As for the testosterone poisoned, they need to grow up before they're allowed anywhere near a weapon.

Says who? You?? Attitudes like that - especially among government officials - is why the Second Amendment is there in the first place.

I want an ouzi and AK-47 to protect myself against the animals who will prey on the innocent after the other type of animals get finished "amending lol" the 2nd amendment.

OCA said:
I want an ouzi and AK-47 to protect myself against the animals who will prey on the innocent after the other type of animals get finished "amending lol" the 2nd amendment.

You might need one to protect you from a drunk and belligerent bear!

Hunting is something that fathers do with thier sons. I went hunting with my father from as young as I could go and used a gun as soon as I could shoot a .410. These are some of the best memories I have. Someday my son will hunt with me. Hunting is an important part of American culture and must be kept alive. I would rather eat nothing but wild meat if I could. It is the healthiest possible meat for me and my family.

Guns in general should be understood by everyone. They are very dangerous, but so is an automobile, and I don't see anyone trying to ban them. Guns are fun, I'm sorry, but they are. And I don't have a testosterone problem. I cry sometimes.

OCA said:

A 9mm loaded with wadcutters, 15 in the clip and one in the hole, will do the trick quite nicely

It is hard for those of us that grew up around guns, respecting them, using them for pleasure and for hunting, etc. to understand why the libs are, in general, so anti-gun.

• Thanks
Reactions: Moi
Bullypulpit said:
A 9mm loaded with wadcutters, 15 in the clip and one in the hole, will do the trick quite nicely

Until the FBI squad of 20 comes after you because you've been labeled an enemy of the state. :terror: :2guns:

Having been a recent victim of a home burglary, I would like to have an Uzi handy for any future intruders in the house. Hell, at this point, I'll take an M60, even if it does tear up the walls! :firing:

One thing I always like to say is, "Rember the north Hollywood shootout? Do you think it would've lasted more than five minutes if anybody in the neighborhood had an M-16?" I'm actually a bit neutral on the assault weapon ban, seeing both its advantages and disadvantages, I tend to get more irritated with its fanatical supporters rather than opponents. These guys just don't seem to realize that assault weapon bans only raise the price tag.

Bullypulpit said:

Won't do you any good when it is re-classified as an assault weapon.

take a look at what the English have done, exactly what the NRA has been opposing. They banned paramilitary weapons, they banned ALL handguns. they instituted a national registry of "nice" rifles and shotguns. then they changed their minds and came and took them away. BB guns are now banned. There are serious legislators trying to ban plastic water guns and toys. And I assume you know what the crime rate is doing in response ?

As for the thread starter, while hunting is a fundamental piece of American heritage it has nothing to do with the second ammendment. The right to own firearms is there for the sole reason of assuring that the Natural rights given to Americans by God are protected From governmental restriction.

And it doesn't matter if you believe in God, it doesn't matter if you think the Constitution is a "living , flexible document" it doesn't matter if you have a perfectly good reason why I shouldn't have a flash suppressor on my Colt .223 rifle. It does matter that the Bill of Rights is being eroded by incrementalism and "bench legislating" judges who are appointed for life.

There is a way to change the law of the land, but this ain't it.

freeandfun1 said:
It is hard for those of us that grew up around guns, respecting them, using them for pleasure and for hunting, etc. to understand why the libs are, in general, so anti-gun.

Well, in a society fed a steady diet of violence by the mass media, most folks have a fictionalized, fantasized view of what guns do, both good and bad. Like you, I started hunting as soon as I could keep both ends of the gun off the ground, I have no illusions as to what they are capable of. I've seen the damage automatic weapons can do while I was in the military. For general civilian use, either for hunting or for personal defense, no one needs automatic weapons. When I ventilate someone who breaks into the house with two 9mm rounds in the chest and one to the head, they won't be getting up...End of problem, except for cleaning up the mess.

And if you want to hunt deer with an AK-47 on full auto, you really need to get some heavy-duty psychotherapy.

fubar said:
Won't do you any good when it is re-classified as an assault weapon.

take a look at what the English have done, exactly what the NRA has been opposing. They banned paramilitary weapons, they banned ALL handguns. they instituted a national registry of "nice" rifles and shotguns. then they changed their minds and came and took them away. BB guns are now banned. There are serious legislators trying to ban plastic water guns and toys. And I assume you know what the crime rate is doing in response ?

As for the thread starter, while hunting is a fundamental piece of American heritage it has nothing to do with the second ammendment. The right to own firearms is there for the sole reason of assuring that the Natural rights given to Americans by God are protected From governmental restriction.

And it doesn't matter if you believe in God, it doesn't matter if you think the Constitution is a "living , flexible document" it doesn't matter if you have a perfectly good reason why I shouldn't have a flash suppressor on my Colt .223 rifle. It does matter that the Bill of Rights is being eroded by incrementalism and "bench legislating" judges who are appointed for life.

There is a way to change the law of the land, but this ain't it.

I don't think they could ever muster the support in Congress to ban handguns, and I would fight them tooth and nail if they tried. No one needs assault weapons for either hunting or personal defense. Your typical home invasion is one or two punks with no heavy hardware. Punch a couple of holes in them with your favorite handgun, and they'll be sorry they ever tried to rip you off. Less collateral damage with a non-auto also.

I have a little different take on guns. I do not thing any weapon should be outlawed but anyone using a gun in any crime should get life without parole. We dont need more laws, we need to put the criminals in jail and keep them there. Life sentences these days amount to what seven or eight years? Ridiculous.

Bullypulpit said:
Well, in a society fed a steady diet of violence by the mass media, most folks have a fictionalized, fantasized view of what guns do, both good and bad. Like you, I started hunting as soon as I could keep both ends of the gun off the ground, I have no illusions as to what they are capable of. I've seen the damage automatic weapons can do while I was in the military. For general civilian use, either for hunting or for personal defense, no one needs automatic weapons. When I ventilate someone who breaks into the house with two 9mm rounds in the chest and one to the head, they won't be getting up...End of problem, except for cleaning up the mess.

And if you want to hunt deer with an AK-47 on full auto, you really need to get some heavy-duty psychotherapy.

One thing you still don't seem to realize Bully and thats the criminal element. Just like if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns so automatic weapons are outlawed only outlaws will have automatic weapons. If theres a driveby in my neighborhood from someone with an automatic weapon how effective is my .380 or 9mm going to be?

Bullypulpit said:
I don't think they could ever muster the support in Congress to ban handguns, and I would fight them tooth and nail if they tried. No one needs assault weapons for either hunting or personal defense. Your typical home invasion is one or two punks with no heavy hardware. Punch a couple of holes in them with your favorite handgun, and they'll be sorry they ever tried to rip you off. Less collateral damage with a non-auto also.

have you been paying attention to the news? Most inner city gangs are branching out, with tek 9's and uzi's. Automatic weapons.

I keep seeing the argument "nobody NEEDS" automatic weapons. If those who USE that argument wish to place VALUE on the position, here are a few more they'd better get used to:

Nobody NEEDS freedom of speech.
Nobody NEEDS welfare.
Nobody NEEDS Automatic Transmissions.
Nobody NEEDS an SUV.
Nobody NEEDS the right to vote.
Nobody NEEDS representation while they are being taxed.
Nobody NEEDS free public education.

(shrug)

Bullypulpit said:

Again, who are you - or the government - to say what kind of gun I "need" to have? If I want a fully automatic machine gun (like an Uzi) for my house, who are you to say that I shouldn't be able to have it?

Part of the problem is the terminolgy. Assault weapon vs assault rifle.

I don't know what the hell an assault weapon is, something used in assaulting I guess. But an Assault Rifle, started with the german Army in the '40's. An autoloading rifle that is also capable of firing full auto. It uses a full sized rifle cartidge, I has a detachable large cap amgazine. It is generally military issue. An AK47 is an aussalut rifle. an m-16 a1 is an assault rifle. An Uzi, is not, it is a submachine gun. It uses pistol ammo, hence not a rifle.

Civilian ownership of full auto weapons has been effectively banned since the '40's. The AK47's and M16's shown on hysterical media propaganda outlets are civilian versions. They Don't fire full auto, they auto load, and fire single shots.

Bullypulpit wrote:

"No one needs assault weapons for either hunting or personal defense. Your typical home invasion is one or two punks with no heavy hardware. Punch a couple of holes in them with your favorite handgun, and they'll be sorry they ever tried to rip you off. Less collateral damage with a non-auto also."

No one is allowed to buy an aussault Rifle. Assault Weapon, means scary gun. It is bullshit. BTW the Army agrees with you, re: full auto , which is why they changed the m16 into single and 3 shot burst only, no more full auto.

But if you don't think the gun ban people are after your 1911a1 you better take another look around you.

Forum List

Back