Assault weapons...

fubar said:
Civilian ownership of full auto weapons has been effectively banned since the '40's. The AK47's and M16's shown on hysterical media propaganda outlets are civilian versions. They Don't fire full auto, they auto load, and fire single shots.

unless you know how to make your own automatic seer. :thup:

Well, of course, thats true...but it would be a federal crime to install that sear into a rifle....

We really don't need any more gun laws or bans. We need more enforcement. It's sort of like the stupid kennedy-esque "hate crime" laws:

Rob a bank = illegal.
Rob a bank w/ a gun = illegal.

In other words, if one does something uncool he is punished, if he uses a gun he should still be punished. We don't need to make a whole seperate divisive arguement about our what the founders considered a god given right , protected in the Bill of Rights.

-=d=- said:
I keep seeing the argument "nobody NEEDS" automatic weapons. If those who USE that argument wish to place VALUE on the position, here are a few more they'd better get used to:

Nobody NEEDS freedom of speech.
Nobody NEEDS welfare.
Nobody NEEDS Automatic Transmissions.
Nobody NEEDS an SUV.
Nobody NEEDS the right to vote.
Nobody NEEDS representation while they are being taxed.
Nobody NEEDS free public education.

(shrug)

You fail to make the distinction between wants, needs and rights. Freedom is speech is a right. Welfare meets needs. Auto trannys are a want. SUV's are a want. Voting is a right. Taxation with representation is a right. Public education is a fundamental right as laid out by state constitutions across the country. To keep and bear arms is a right. Assault weapons are a want, not a need.

Bullypulpit said:
You fail to make the distinction between wants, needs and rights. Freedom is speech is a right. Welfare meets needs. Auto trannys are a want. SUV's are a want. Voting is a right. Taxation with representation is a right. Public education is a fundamental right as laid out by state constitutions across the country. To keep and bear arms is a right. Assault weapons are a want, not a need.
If Kerry gets elected, there may soon be a need for assault weapons. We'll have to battle Islamofacist insurgents in our back yards.

Besides, we in Nebraska have to fight off frequent indian raids.

Assault weapons are a creation, a term of art, coined by barbara Boxner and Diane Feinstein. I found a legal definition of what constitiutes an assault weapon,

Any Two of Five components:
1. Flash suppressor
2. detachable magazine
3. Bayonet lug
4. folding or telescoping stock
5. pistol grip

I have a Mossburg 500 12 gauge with a folding stock & pistol grip. Therefore I own an assault weapon. A Mossburg 500 is like an F150 pickup truck, there are a dozen on your street right now, and none of them are killing you, are they?

I have had mine longer than the ban so it's legal.

This is a foolish law, and should be allowed to die quickly.
assalut weapons explained & a quiz

I grew up around guns, went elk hunting with my father every winter, and have three weapons of my own. (A 30-06, 12 gauge, and 9mm) I love using my guns when I can, and always have. But, even with my love of firearms, I do not think that people NEED to have assault weapons. The Second Amendment is not there for people to hide behind and claim that they have a right to own certain types of weapons. Would I like to have an MP-5? An M-16, a minigun? Of course. Would I feel safe knowing that the wackjobs down the street had a vault full of these kinds of weapons? Probably not. Assault weapons serve one purpose. Killing people. You don't go deer hunting to feed your family with an Uzi-type weapon. These weapons need to stay where they need to be, with the police and military.

Golden Arms said:
Assault weapons serve one purpose. Killing people. You don't go deer hunting to feed your family with an Uzi-type weapon. These weapons need to stay where they need to be, with the police and military.

Actually, you are partially right, and have been duped by the media Miss Arms. the 2nd ammendment exists for the people to have the ability to kill other people, not elk, with military grade weapons, not hunting guns. The founders meant it to mean what it says, not what the fashion of changing times may come to be wished it means.

Don't confuse the small issue of what your State lets you use to shoot ducks with the very serious business of keeping the power of rule and law in the hands of ordinary people.

"On every question of construction of the Constitution let us carry our-selves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed. " (Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823)

The 2nd Exists or self defense, of course, as it is one of the "Natural Rights" ( as seen in the Declaration) our nation was founded upon:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
* * By: Thomas Jefferson

But the Big reason The 2nd exists is For Resisting tyranny from our own government:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. "
* * By: Thomas Jefferson

Alexander Hamilton:
"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, .... The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms , without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. "
(Thomas Jefferson)

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
(Patrick Henry)

... SO when next you hear someone discussing elk, and deer, politely inform them that their point isn't relevant.

Actually, you are partially right, and have been duped by the media Miss Arms. the 2nd ammendment exists for the people to have the ability to kill other people, not elk, with military grade weapons, not hunting guns. The founders meant it to mean what it says, not what the fashion of changing times may come to be wished it means.

I haven't been duped by anyone. I understand that in the golden days of the Constitution, the Second Amendment may have actually held water in the precise way that it is written. However, I still don't believe that the right to keep and bear arms means the right to keep a gun safe full of machine guns in your den. You have the right to bear arms, and many to choose from. I understand the wants of gun collectors, but to keep assault rifles because you think you may need them to battle off the tyrannical government sounds a little far fetched to me. I know a few people who have assault rifles, and they all have one thing in common:

They're all paranoid.

And at this point, would our government break down and our country plunge into anarchy, there would be nothing more terrifying than having to face each day knowing that there are bands of moron civilians running around with assault rifles ready to kill anyone who may be percieved as "a threat" because "they have the right to do so." Which brings to mind a question: If you ever did get to capitalize on the second amendment and "kill other people, not elk, with military grade weapons, not hunting guns," who exactly are you planning on killing?

If it wasn't so hard to get an assault weapon, I'm sure you'd see people other than nuts and criminals with them. That would make me feel much safer than the bans they have now.

Golden Arms said:
I haven't been duped by anyone. I understand that in the golden days of the Constitution, the Second Amendment may have actually held water in the precise way that it is written. However, I still don't believe that the right to keep and bear arms means the right to keep a gun safe full of machine guns in your den. You have the right to bear arms, and many to choose from. I understand the wants of gun collectors, but to keep assault rifles because you think you may need them to battle off the tyrannical government sounds a little far fetched to me. I know a few people who have assault rifles, and they all have one thing in common:

They're all paranoid.

And at this point, would our government break down and our country plunge into anarchy, there would be nothing more terrifying than having to face each day knowing that there are bands of moron civilians running around with assault rifles ready to kill anyone who may be percieved as "a threat" because "they have the right to do so." Which brings to mind a question: If you ever did get to capitalize on the second amendment and "kill other people, not elk, with military grade weapons, not hunting guns," who exactly are you planning on killing?

You call it paranoia, we call it ensuring a free nation. Remember, although I'm sure I'll be branded a conspiracy theory nut or something like that, but millions of people in WW2 germany thought the same thing of their government, that they would never have to battle a tyrannical government, and look at what happened to them.

Golden Arms said:

They're all paranoid.

Okay you're not a dupe. You are apparently someone who thinks the bill of rights is outmoded. I don't.

Secondly, you don't seem to understand the nature of the topic: the Assault Weapon ban sunsetting in a few weeks. This ban does not apply to assault rifles. Earlier I explained that an assault RIFLES have been banned since the '40's. And I have no problem with that. This ban applies to assault WEAPONs which are arbitrarily selected on aesthetic principles of scariness.
And it was designed for DUPES to approve of, or those who are just glad to see ANY guns eliminated.

As for our country descending into anarchy, I seriously doubt it. Unless of course you end up on the next Janet Reno shitlist. And I don't plan on killing anyone. But I do plan on defending the US Constitution for the rest of my days from foolish laws designed by silly Californis Senators and the ignorance of people who don't read threads in their entirety before getting all irritated.

Oh, by the way, Do you remember the photo's of the korean shopkeepers on the roof of their building during the Rodney King riots ? Theirs was the only shop in the 'hood which wasn't looted and burned. Because they had civilian versions of AK-47's to protect their livliehoods and property.

I am sorry if I have offended you. Just tired of being lied to with statistics, fashionable politics, and hidden agenda bullshit.

These Stores Stopped Selling Assault Weapons:
Dick's Sporting Goods
Gander Mountain Sporting Goods
Cabella's Sporting Goods
Bass Pro Sporting Goods
Walmart
Sams Club

Major Airlines & others Stopped all Discounts to NRA Members.

Forum List

Back