Aspirations

Do you make them on special occassions like the New Year? I do. I also make them on my birthday, (which is in a couple of days).

I'm going to take on my most challenging behavior. My own negative speech. That will change my involvement with the forum.

My wife has bought me an expensive timer, that sounds like a Tibetan meditation bell. Quite pleasing sound. I'm going to set it for ten minute increments with the goal of keeping my speech kind and respectful in ten minute increments.

I will be avoiding the Flame Zone and taking care to not get hooked on anyone's bait.

Every new year I make the same resolution -- to eat a piece of cheesecake every day.

That way, when I break my resolution I won't feel guilty.

:eusa_angel:

p.s., Happy Birthday ( :

Last edited:
If I were to take on the strictest vows on right speech, I would not be able to post at all.

I'd have to give up "idle speech".

I will be avoiding the Flame Zone and taking care to not get hooked on anyone's bait.

Why? Just because you read doesn’t mean you must respond.

I'm dropping the topics of homosexuality and Christianity. I removed my avie because someone complained about it.

Again, Why? Just be yourself, that usually works best.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Here is an excellent guideline for everyday life (especially the part about doing something everyday that you are afraid of doing):

ADVICE, LIKE YOUTH, PROBABLY JUST WASTED ON THE YOUNG

June 1, 1997

Inside every adult lurks a graduation speaker dying to get out, some world-
weary pundit eager to pontificate on life to young people who'd rather be
Rollerblading. Most of us, alas, will never be invited to sow our words of
wisdom among an audience of caps and gowns, but there's no reason we can't
entertain ourselves by composing a Guide to Life for Graduates.

I encourage anyone over 26 to try this and thank you for indulging my attempt.

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97:

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The
long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the
rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering
experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust
me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way
you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you
really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're
behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing
this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The
most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with
their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're
gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you
won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on
your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself
too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are
everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what
other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be
nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold
on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in
Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will
philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe
you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run
out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Mary Schmich

What is the difference between aspirations and expectations?

Aspirations are our wish to achieve things. Expectations are the strong hope that something will happen.

Aspirations are what happen inside us. They arise from within us and require action on our part. I aspire to help others. I aspire to acquire Focusing Certification. I aspire to enjoy the day whether the sun shines or the rain pours down.

Expectations are what happen outside us. I expect others to support my goals.. I expect to graduate and obtain Focusing Certification and teach classes in it. I expect the sun to shine and the rain to hold off for another day.

Aspirations show our higher goals. I aspire to be more patient, to spend more time with my wife, to be a model of goodness, to meet my teachers ideals for me.

Expectations are more ordinary. And they involve others, which makes them so unpredictable and expose us to much unhappiness. An aspiration is a wish that I act on, but an expectation depends on others to perform or a situation to unfold as I want.

Expectations bind us to disappointment.

Aspirations allow us to soar. I am leaning into aspirations and letting go of expectations.

I wish you success Sky. I know you didn't ask for my opinion or advice, so take it with a grain of salt, but meditate on it awhile when you have nothing better to do. The secret to success with your endeavor will be found inside yourself, in the way that you view and accept yourself. Easy to say, very difficult to do in my experience.

I feel blessed this year to have my birthday happen to fall on Thanksgiving Day.

"She smiled.

So much lives in a simple facial expression:

'Nothing we can do about it'.

'Strange to be in these little metal boxes'.

'Wonder how long it will last'.

'No big deal really, we are safe, fed and whole'.

There we were, commuters stuck in a big, unmoving traffic jam. In the moment of receiving that smile something settled in my body, in my shoulders where some tension was building, in my belly where some 'wishing to be some place else' was growing. For the rest of that day and even now as I write this, that smile brings great gratitude into my heart and a smile to my face".

Russell Delman

Last edited:
Aspiration also means an audible breath that accompanies or comprises a speech sound.

This year, I aspire for more "awws", and less "ah shits".

Do you make them on special occassions like the New Year? I do. I also make them on my birthday, (which is in a couple of days).

I'm going to take on my most challenging behavior. My own negative speech. That will change my involvement with the forum.

My wife has bought me an expensive timer, that sounds like a Tibetan meditation bell. Quite pleasing sound. I'm going to set it for ten minute increments with the goal of keeping my speech kind and respectful in ten minute increments.

So far sky, you are not doing very well. I would think that since this is new to you you would be on your best behavior.

Or do you just wait for you 10 minutes to be up to lie about people?

I will link you to my post where i quote you if you need refreshing.

So far sky, you are not doing very well. I would think that since this is new to you you would be on your best behavior.

Here's what you said: you don't care if some little old lady gets mowed down because she's only a hippie. Pepper spray isn't enough for you.

I would however be happy for them to set themselves on fire as a protest. __________________

Last edited:

Here's what you said: you don't care if some little old lady gets mowed down because she's only a hippie. Pepper spray isn't enough for you.

I would however be happy for them to set themselves on fire as a protest. __________________

Liar

quoting you so you can see your own lies....That is NOT what i said.

Knocking little old ladies to the ground, no brutality in that.

If the little old lady is there in the thick of it.... she gets what is being dished out. The little old lady's of now are most likely the hippies of old... they know exactly what they are doing and in for.

Liar

Knocking little old ladies to the ground, no brutality in that.

If the little old lady is there in the thick of it.... she gets what is being dished out. The little old lady's of now are most likely the hippies of old... they know exactly what they are doing and in for.

Everyone on this forum knows you have a personal problem with me. You're trying to bait me and it's not succeeding.

"If the little old lady is there in the thick of it.... she gets what is being dished out. The little old lady's of now are most likely the hippies of old... they know exactly what they are doing and in for."

That is vicious. Further your comment about "having no problem" if they set themselves on fire is equally overkill violence. No OWS protestor has any intention of setting themselves on fire and you know it. Further the reference to setting people on fire was intended as a personal attack to me, because I have discussed Buddhist monks self-immolating during the Vietnam War. It was a dig at me and you know it.

I have the presence of mind to stop talking to you now.

Last edited:

Liar

Everyone on this forum knows you have a personal problem with me. You're trying to bait me and it's not succeeding.

"If the little old lady is there in the thick of it.... she gets what is being dished out. The little old lady's of now are most likely the hippies of old... they know exactly what they are doing and in for."

That is vicious. Further your comment about "having no problem" if they set themselves on fire is equally overkill violence. No OWS protestor has any intention of setting themselves on fire and you know it. Further the reference to setting people on fire was intended as a personal attack to me, because I have discussed Buddhist monks self-immolating during the Vietnam War. It was a dig at me and you know it.

I did not bait you into lying or not succeeding.... you lied all on your own , twice now in a different thread.. willfully without my help... all on your own.

Your biggest problem sky is you don't even realize what you ARE doing and saying.

How is it vicious pointing out... that if you jump into a crowd... you ARE part of the crowd and treated as part of the crowd?

Yes, we all know your views on self immolation sky...you have made several threads about it and discussed it at length in forum.

Sky... how about having the presence of mind............ to stop lying and putting words, feeling, emotions, motivations... into other peoples mouths

Liar

I did not bait you into lying or not succeeding.... you lied all on your own , twice now in a different thread.. willfully without my help... all on your own.

Your biggest problem sky is you don't even realize what you ARE doing and saying.

How is it vicious pointing out... that if you jump into a crowd... you ARE part of the crowd and treated as part of the crowd?

Yes, we all know your views on self immolation sky...you have made several threads about it and discussed it at length in forum.

Sky... how about having the presence of mind............ to stop lying and putting words, feeling, emotions, motivations... into other peoples mouths

I paraphrased your words. The intent in your posts was clear. It was in favor of violence toward the protestors, no matter what age they are, (since most old women are hippies).

The "I don't care if they set themselves on fire" was a dig to me and you know it. It was flaming. I've discussed self-immolation as a protest by Buddhist monks in Vietnam and Tibet.

I've also discussed suicide in my family, (my dad) and my own struggles with depression.

Your intention was not neutral or positive. You aren't honest enough to cop to your aggression.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back