As many as 10 dead in shooting at Batman premiere in Denver: reports

Yes, but there have been no mass shootings, which was my point. How many mass shootings has America had this year alone?

Let's not forget that Australia has a population of 22 million, whereas the United States boasts a comparatively vast population of over 300 million. Regardless of the weapons available, the consequence of living in a much denser population results in a higher probability of falling victim to one of the many head cases that live along side you.

This is true, and I do acknowledge this fact. But - having to hear on the news about yet another mass shooting in the US makes me wonder about how easy it is to get a gun. And I really do believe that banning guns would eventually show a reduction in the number of mass shootings, the problem is, no one seems interested enough to even give it a go.

Yes, compared to some 'proggressive' nations, it is considerably easier to get your hands on a gun in the States. However, more people in Australia and the UK die from stab wounds as opposed to firearms. So, on account of that, should we ban knives altogther?

Well...the state controlled militia comprised of legally armed citizens certainly failed to protect the people ONCE AGAIN, didn't it?

Odd how this keeps happening, isn't it?

All these second amendment legally armed for state militia protection citizens and what happened?

14 dead, 50 wounded.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
Guns are not allowed here, so obviously not. If you were caught with a weapon though, you'd be up on charges.

I don't think anyone should take a weapon into a place like a theatre - is there any need to?

I don't think anyone should take a weapon into a place like a theatre - is there any need to?
10 families might argue with you on that.

They are entitled to argue - they have lost loved ones in the most horrific way. I feel for them, I really do.
I believe that if the gunman couldn't get a gun in the first place, fourteen people might still be alive.

Apparently their was a need for someone other than the gunman to have a gun.

Yes, but there have been no mass shootings, which was my point. How many mass shootings has America had this year alone?

Mass shootings happen in all sorts of countries, regardless of gun laws. And as you admit yourself, it's perfectly possible in Australia too since outlawing guns doesn't mean gun crime suddenly disappears.

This doesn't mean I don't favour gun regulation (I do actually) but that is mainly because I believe it's a good way to prevent accidents and shootings in domestic context. Gun regulation will never stop people determined to shoot other people.

The least that you could do, though, is to make it harder to get a gun. Make people go through a training program to learn how to shoot a gun and care for it before they take it home. Make them wait a couple of weeks for the gun instead of what they currently wait.
If the guns have to be registered, anyone arrested for a criminal offense should have the gun taken from them, to be given back only when they have been acquitted.

That would piss a lot of people off, but it would be a start.

I am all in favour of sensible regulation and actually the US has quite a few of those as well. But no law will stop a person determined to kill people from getting the gun and killing people (see Norway, Germany, etc.). Gun laws will only be effective in reducing accidents and in reducing the use of firearms in domestic situations.

10 families might argue with you on that.

They are entitled to argue - they have lost loved ones in the most horrific way. I feel for them, I really do.
I believe that if the gunman couldn't get a gun in the first place, fourteen people might still be alive.

yeah. ambush during a movie screening.

clearly more guns would have helped.

Let's not forget that Australia has a population of 22 million, whereas the United States boasts a comparatively vast population of over 300 million. Regardless of the weapons available, the consequence of living in a much denser population results in a higher probability of falling victim to one of the many head cases that live along side you.

This is true, and I do acknowledge this fact. But - having to hear on the news about yet another mass shooting in the US makes me wonder about how easy it is to get a gun. And I really do believe that banning guns would eventually show a reduction in the number of mass shootings, the problem is, no one seems interested enough to even give it a go.

Yes, compared to some 'proggressive' nations, it is considerably easier to get your hands on a gun in the States. However, more people in Australia and the UK dies from stab wounds as opposed to firearms. So, on account of that, should we ban knives altogther?

First of all, knives have already been banned in Australia - which I strongly disagree with. There are only about two States you can carry a knife - Queensland is one, not sure about the other.
Second, you can't go on a mass knifing spree. You have to be close to your victim in order to stab them - with a gun, you can stand fifty feet away and kill them.

Its not the same thing. Both can cause damage, but one can cause more damage in a shorter period of time.

So how would this hero American have stood up and fired off the killing shot with all the gunfire in the theatre? If someone is shooting at you, you stay down, you don't stand up with your own gun and shoot. If they did, someone else would be dead.

Yes, compared to some 'proggressive' nations, it is considerably easier to get your hands on a gun in the States. However, more people in Australia and the UK dies from stab wounds as opposed to firearms. So, on account of that, should we ban knives altogther?

First of all, knives have already been banned in Australia - which I strongly disagree with. There are only about two States you can carry a knife - Queensland is one, not sure about the other.
Second, you can't go on a mass knifing spree. You have to be close to your victim in order to stab them - with a gun, you can stand fifty feet away and kill them.

Its not the same thing. Both can cause damage, but one can cause more damage in a shorter period of time.

How many people were killed with guns in Australia last year? 0?

Norway has a population of 5 million and Breivik managed to shoot dead 69 people.

Yes, I know, and I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his pathetic life.

He should have been sentenced to death of course. But Norway doesn't have the death penalty unfortunately. Maximum sentence there is 13 years in prison.

I don't believe in the death penalty, sorry!

And the max sentence over there is 21 years - but he won't be released. Every time he comes up for parole he will be rejected. He will leave prison in a coffin.

You don't get it do you? unarmed crowds are like fish in a barrel. There was at least 50 wounded, if at least two or more people would have had a gun less people would be hurt and dead.

I won't deny that guns have killed Australians, but the point I made originally was that there have been no mass shootings since 1996.

You cannot stop gun violence entirely, but you can make it harder to get your hands on a gun.

Yes, I know, and I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his pathetic life.

He should have been sentenced to death of course. But Norway doesn't have the death penalty unfortunately. Maximum sentence there is 13 years in prison.

I don't believe in the death penalty, sorry!

And the max sentence over there is 21 years - but he won't be released. Every time he comes up for parole he will be rejected. He will leave prison in a coffin.

Yes, it's one of those things where the government can keep a person confined in a hospital at their pleasure. Not really a good system. Memories of Soviet and Nazi regimes there.

The death penalty is appropriate for people who pose an unacceptable and lasting risk to society.

So how would this hero American have stood up and fired off the killing shot with all the gunfire in the theatre? If someone is shooting at you, you stay down, you don't stand up with your own gun and shoot. If they did, someone else would be dead.

Someone who is anti gun and has no firearms training trying to tell how someone who has had urban combat training how too shoot?

I won't deny that guns have killed Australians, but the point I made originally was that there have been no mass shootings since 1996.

You cannot stop gun violence entirely, but you can make it harder to get your hands on a gun.

Who do you think has stricter gun laws, the US or Mexico? And where are more people massacred?

Are you brain dead? How many people were killed with guns in DC before the gun ban was lifted?

Australia banned the sale of guns after the Port Arthur massacre. Since then, we have no more mass shootings. Yet America suffers a mass shooting every week, it would appear - why is that?

So in Australia nobody gets killed with a gun nowadays? Get real.

Not through lack of trying, but no, it is a very rare event..

Who do you think has stricter gun laws, the US or Mexico? And where are more people massacred?

I am not altogether familiar with gun crime in Mexico - the only gun crime we hear about over here is mostly in the US, as this is what is mostly reported, sorry!

Yes, compared to some 'proggressive' nations, it is considerably easier to get your hands on a gun in the States. However, more people in Australia and the UK die from stab wounds as opposed to firearms. So, on account of that, should we ban knives altogther?

Links please...

Australia banned the sale of guns after the Port Arthur massacre. Since then, we have no more mass shootings. Yet America suffers a mass shooting every week, it would appear - why is that?

So in Australia nobody gets killed with a gun nowadays? Get real.

Not through lack of trying, but no, it is a very rare event..

This is true. We hear about gun violence once a month, if we are lucky. Sometimes there is a spate of drive by shootings, very rarely is someone harmed or killed, though.

Forum List

Back