As many as 10 dead in shooting at Batman premiere in Denver: reports

Would this have happened if guns were banned in the US?

Are you brain dead? How many people were killed with guns in DC before the gun ban was lifted?

Australia banned the sale of guns after the Port Arthur massacre. Since then, we have no more mass shootings. Yet America suffers a mass shooting every week, it would appear - why is that?

So in Australia nobody gets killed with a gun nowadays? Get real.

Would this have happened if guns were banned in the US?

Are you brain dead? How many people were killed with guns in DC before the gun ban was lifted?

Australia banned the sale of guns after the Port Arthur massacre. Since then, we have no more mass shootings. Yet America suffers a mass shooting every week, it would appear - why is that?

No one is killed with a gun in Australia? Did you death by knives go up?

Hope they don't show the movie in downtown Seattle at the corner of 4th and Lenora at the Cinerama Theatre.

Lots of gang-bangers and other unsavorty characters "show up" towards the evening hours.

By Rong-Gong Lin II
July 20, 2012, 2:48 a.m.
Fourteen people are dead and 50 others wounded after a gunman in a suburb outside Denver opened fire during a midnight showing of the Batman movie the "Dark Knight Rises," the police chief said at a press conference.

The suspect is in custody, Aurora police chief Daniel J. Oates told reporters. "This is a horrific event," Aurora police chief Daniel J. Oates said during a press conference carried live by local TV stations.

Oates said 10 people were found dead in the theater, and four died at local hospitals.

Denver's NBC affiliate, 9News, reported that the gunman entered the movie theater minutes after the movie began, released a canister, and witnesses heard a hissing sound and saw smoke. The suspect now in custody was found outside the theater holding a rifle and a handgun.

9News reported that the suspect indicated to police that his apartment building might have explosives, and authorities are evacuating that structure and searching for possible explosives.

Colorado movie theater shooting leaves 14 dead, 50 wounded - latimes.com

Yes, but there have been no mass shootings, which was my point. How many mass shootings has America had this year alone?

I'm will to make a bet the theater was a no guns allowed zone.

If that was the case, then how in hell was this guy able to even get into the theatre with a gun? Don't they check people before they go in?

Do you have metal-detectors in cinema's in Australia? are you frisked before you enter a theatre?

Guns are not allowed here, so obviously not. If you were caught with a weapon though, you'd be up on charges.

I don't think anyone should take a weapon into a place like a theatre - is there any need to?

Yes, but there have been no mass shootings, which was my point. How many mass shootings has America had this year alone?

Mass shootings happen in all sorts of countries, regardless of gun laws. And as you admit yourself, it's perfectly possible in Australia too since outlawing guns doesn't mean gun crime suddenly disappears.

This doesn't mean I don't favour gun regulation (I do actually) but that is mainly because I believe it's a good way to prevent accidents and shootings in domestic context. Gun regulation will never stop people determined to shoot other people.

If that was the case, then how in hell was this guy able to even get into the theatre with a gun? Don't they check people before they go in?

Do you have metal-detectors in cinema's in Australia? are you frisked before you enter a theatre?

Guns are not allowed here, so obviously not. If you were caught with a weapon though, you'd be up on charges.

I don't think anyone should take a weapon into a place like a theatre - is there any need to?

Don't you see how ridiculous your post was. You find it incomprehensible that people aren't checked in US theatres if guns are forbidden there but you finf it normal that nobody is checked in Australian theatres.

You say guns are not allowed, but I'm sure many Australians have guns.

"Salina Jordan, 19, who was in Theater 8, told the Post she saw one girl struck in the cheek and others in the stomach, including a girl who looked to be around 9 years old."

who takes a little child into a midnight premiere of such a movie?

Let's not forget that Australia has a population of 22 million, whereas the United States boasts a comparatively vast population of over 300 million. Regardless of the weapons available, the consequence of living in a much denser population results in a higher probability of falling victim to one of the many head cases that live along side you.

Mass shootings happen in all sorts of countries, regardless of gun laws. And as you admit yourself, it's perfectly possible in Australia too since outlawing guns doesn't mean gun crime suddenly disappears.

This doesn't mean I don't favour gun regulation (I do actually) but that is mainly because I believe it's a good way to prevent accidents and shootings in domestic context. Gun regulation will never stop people determined to shoot other people.

The least that you could do, though, is to make it harder to get a gun. Make people go through a training program to learn how to shoot a gun and care for it before they take it home. Make them wait a couple of weeks for the gun instead of what they currently wait.
If the guns have to be registered, anyone arrested for a criminal offense should have the gun taken from them, to be given back only when they have been acquitted.

That would piss a lot of people off, but it would be a start.

10 families might argue with you on that.

Let's not forget that Australia has a population of 22 million, whereas the United States boasts a comparatively vast population of over 300 million. Regardless of the weapons available, the consequence of living in a much denser population results in a higher probability of falling victim to one of the many head cases that live along side you.

This is true, and I do acknowledge this fact. But - having to hear on the news about yet another mass shooting in the US makes me wonder about how easy it is to get a gun. And I really do believe that banning guns would eventually show a reduction in the number of mass shootings, the problem is, no one seems interested enough to even give it a go.

Norway has a population of 5 million and Breivik managed to shoot dead 69 people.

10 families might argue with you on that.

They are entitled to argue - they have lost loved ones in the most horrific way. I feel for them, I really do.
I believe that if the gunman couldn't get a gun in the first place, fourteen people might still be alive.

Forum List

Back