As A Black Person Why Should I Celebrate the 4th of July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The lily-white movement was an all-white faction of the Republican Party in the Southern United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It battled and usually defeated the biracial element called the Black-and-tan faction.

During Reconstruction, following the U.S. Civil War, black leaders in Texas and around the country gained increasing influence in the Republican Party by organizing blacks as an important voting bloc. Conservative whites attempted to eliminate this influence and recover white voters who had defected to the Democratic Party. The effort was largely successful in eliminating African-American influence in the Republican Party leading to black voters predominantly migrating to the Democratic Party for much of the 20th century.

The term lily-white movement was coined by Texas Republican leader Norris Wright Cuney, who used the term in an 1888 Republican convention to describe efforts by white conservatives to oust blacks from positions of Texas party leadership and incite riots to divide the party.[1] The term came to be used nationally to describe this ongoing movement as it further developed in the early 20th century,[2] including through the administration of Herbert Hoover. Localized movements began immediately after the war but by the beginning of the 20th century the effort had become national.”

“This movement is largely credited with driving blacks out of the Republican party during the early 20th century, setting the stage for their eventual support of the Democrats.”

Michael K. Fauntroy - Republicans and the Black vote

Americans celebrate the freedom given us by our ancestors and that includes Black Americans. If you do not consider yourself an American or value freedom don't celebrate. That is also a freedom. Feel free to be an ingrate. But a bunch of public whining over nothing is silly and unappreciated.
My ancestors were not free on the 4th dummy.

59579fdedbf0a.image.jpg

Do you have proof of that? What if your ancestors were slaveowners? Do you know?

Mine didn't have anything to do with any of that, they were just down south farming, along with some black neighbors. No cotton.

Strawberries, squash, and watermelon, yes. Everybody grows the same stuff.
We traced our roots about a decade ago.

My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.
That would be up to you my friend, but I will say no matter how your ancestors got here it's your country now. Enjoy your freedom to celebrate or not as you choose.
I know its up to me. That was never in doubt. What I am asking is for the board to supply some reasons that I should celebrate the 4th.
Do you plan on returning your holiday pay for being off?
Holiday pay? I run a business. If I did work to make someone else wealthy I wouldnt return the holiday pay. Why would I do something stupid like that?

My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.

Go back to Botswana where you belong and will be happy. You don't deserve to breathe the same air as an American.
Make me go to Botswanna.

I'm very happy here. Now what does that have to do with me not celebrating the 4th?

Seems you might have overlooked that in America you have the freedom to depart for whence came your ancestors. Now whether they'd want you sorry ass back on their soil....well that IS a pig of a different odour.
Why would I need to depart because I dont celebrate the 4th? Who is going to make me depart?

Go back to Botswana where you belong and will be happy. You don't deserve to breathe the same air as an American.
Make me go to Botswanna. I'm very happy here.

No you're not! You hate and resent America, you've said as much that you can't even bring yourself to celebrate the independence of the country, you do nothing but rail against everything here and you really ought to catch the next boat back to Namibia where you belong.

Don't blame you a bit. Kind of curious as to your neighbors reaction. Thanks

It must really suck to have to drag around that burdensome modifier "black" wherever you go from day to day. I know it probably doesn't get old to you because that's what you identify with, but it sorta gets old to everyone else who has to hear it over and over again.

You might have missed it, but there was once this guy named "Martin Luther King." He once visualized a country where a person would just be a "person.", regardless of their color. You might take some time out and go to your local library and read up on him. He had some interesting ideas.

#WalkAway
Actually its pretty empowering being Black.

MLK also said he thought he made a mistake trying to integrate with whites. I'm guessing that was kept from you.

I don't see how it's "empowering", being black, because you're not really "black." WHat you mostly identify with is liberalism or the Democrat Party. And the Democrats lost the most important election of their lifetimes, because they have become obsolete and out of touch.

Now it might be "empowering" to be a Republican or a conservative right now, because we own this shit. But please, don't equate "republican" or "conservative" with "white", because there are plenty of black Republicans and conservatives. We are after all, the ones who held a Civil War to stop slavery, enacted constitutional qualities, and voted for Civil Rights in the 60's.

Your buddies in the Democrat Party fought tooth and nail to prevent those from happening, ya know.

The majority of Southern Republicans DID NOT support the passage of the civil rights act.

It was supported by Northerners from both parties. And when segregation was ended many Southern Democrats joined the Republican party.

Both parties have a questionable history which is related more to the legacy of the southern geographical region of this country.

I've looked at the numbers MANY TIMES here. When folks try to wiggle out of reality on that. And I can help you out. The reason the "majority of Southern Republicans didn't support it is simply --- there were a very few Southern Repubs AT ALL. IIRC maybe 2 senators and a handful of reps. That just hurts your excuse. ALL the Repubs at the time were OUTSIDE the South -- the Dems held the vast majority of power down there. Check the numbers.

Don't blame you a bit. Kind of curious as to your neighbors reaction. Thanks
She was thoughtful at first and then she said that she had never thought of it like that and that it made sense.

No you're not! You hate and resent America, you've said as much that you can't even bring yourself to celebrate the independence of the country, you do nothing but rail against everything here and you really ought to catch the next boat back to Namibia where you belong.
Only a retard would get I hate a country from "I dont celebrate a holiday". WTF is your problem boy? Do you hate the US because you dont celebrate Juneteenth?

Because you got the day off like the rest of us??

It must really suck to have to drag around that burdensome modifier "black" wherever you go from day to day. I know it probably doesn't get old to you because that's what you identify with, but it sorta gets old to everyone else who has to hear it over and over again.

You might have missed it, but there was once this guy named "Martin Luther King." He once visualized a country where a person would just be a "person.", regardless of their color. You might take some time out and go to your local library and read up on him. He had some interesting ideas.

#WalkAway
Yea, he got murdered

I can get any day off. Thats a terrible reason. Thanks though. Kinda fits under the category of fun to me.

Only a retard would get I hate a country from "I dont celebrate a holiday". WTF is your problem boy? Do you hate the US because you dont celebrate Juneteenth?

Boy, you sure lay the bull on as thick as you need to convince yourself of ANYTHING. And BTW, what is in your avatar, a couple of pictures of the USA?

Boy, you sure lay the bull on as thick as you need to convince yourself of ANYTHING. And BTW, what is in your avatar, a couple of pictures of the USA?
You avoided my question. Do you hate the US because you dont celebrate Juneteenth? I just want to display to you how ignorant your logic is.

I can get any day off. Thats a terrible reason.
Face it, this is the white man's country -- therefore by default if you want to be considered a true American, you need to honor this country, even if your people were slaves back then -- they were still fighting for a country where their offspring will some day be free

You avoided my question. Do you hate the US because you dont celebrate Juneteenth? I just want to display to you how ignorant your logic is.
Juneteenth doesn't count because it was only to give freedom to slaves -- whites already had our freedom so we can be oblivious to Juneteenth

Must not be the case around here. The fireworks stand was at least 2-1 blacks pushing buggies laden with fireworks.
That oppression is some rough stuff

I can get any day off. Thats a terrible reason.
Face it, this is the white man's country -- therefore by default if you want to be considered a true American, you need to honor this country, even if your people were slaves back then -- they were still fighting for a country where their offspring will some day be free
This isnt a white mans country. They can claim that title when they do at least half the work my ancestors did (for free) to keep it from being just another english penal colony. I dont need to do anything other than honor my ancestors. I do that by celebrating the day they were actually free. Not the day some white boy lied and said they were free.

Must not be the case around here. The fireworks stand was at least 2-1 blacks pushing buggies laden with fireworks.
That oppression is some rough stuff
Not sure what your post had to do with me not celebrating the 4th. If I wanted some side BS story I would have asked for that instead of reasons to celebrate the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back